PDA

View Full Version : exterior of vx

pbkid
07/05/2005, 07:35 PM
hey guys, i heard somewhere from someone that the VX is painted in a specail way. that the metal it is made of is dyed and then painted over so that scratches dont show. is this true? that would be so incredibly awesome.
pbkid

thebear54
07/06/2005, 03:42 AM
Well....Probably not true. Like on the "Mythbusters".....BUSTED
When I got my VX it had all kinds of little scratches and chips. The first thing I did was to take it to a body shop and have it compounded to within an inch of it's life,touched up and resealed with clearcote. You might notice on the nose of yours...check real close and you will probably see road damage.
If the rumors are true I have not heard it and the evidence does not hold up in court :p
John

Maugan_VX
07/06/2005, 04:52 AM
I can attest to the fact that this is indeed false.

My hood has a nasty scratch on it that you can see from my offices' 4th floor window.

WormGod
07/06/2005, 07:06 AM
Cant be. I have a simple road chip on a fender and it is already rusting over. She will be headed to the paint shop once I get the time and money.... and when I am actually prepared to paint her Chevrolet Orange. ;)

johnnyapollo
07/06/2005, 07:34 AM
Someone's yankin yer chain...

-- John

MZ-N10
07/06/2005, 09:34 AM
i think wat they are talkin about is the vx is zinc plated. which makes it alittle more rust resistant(dont know how tat works, something to do with charges on zinc compared to steel), and i guess the paint is suppose to stick to zinc better....

Navigator
07/06/2005, 11:38 AM
I just filled a road chip on the nose of my VX with ASTRAL silver touch up paint, heck the availability of touch up paint alone busts the indestructable paint theory LOL. BTW, allways touch up chips before they rust. Rust is like cancer, and uglier than touch up paint, so catch it before is spreads ;)

VehiGAZ
07/06/2005, 12:22 PM
They plate it with zinc because zinc doesn't rust like steel - same reason they nickel-plate gun parts.

Paintability is anyone's guess, though. I know that stainless steel won't hold paint well (or a magnet, for that matter), but beyond that - I'm clueless.

Numba1goalie
07/06/2005, 06:07 PM
My VX had previously been keyed and you could see the sheet metal in the bottom of the scratch. Sorry.

MZ-N10
07/06/2005, 06:31 PM
My VX had previously been keyed and you could see the sheet metal in the bottom of the scratch. Sorry.

well...zinc and steel looks very similar...acutally my vx is keyed rite now. u can acutally see 2 different color within the scratch. one is silver the other is white....

im guessing teh white is acutally zinc, or a primer and the silver is steel.

Raque Thomas
07/06/2005, 07:17 PM
well...zinc and steel looks very similar...acutally my vx is keyed rite now. u can acutally see 2 different color within the scratch. one is silver the other is white....

im guessing teh white is acutally zinc, or a primer and the silver is steel.

the zinc would be silver, or could have a goldish cast depending on how it was applied (assuming it WAS applied) - not too sure that paint would stick to zinc plating very well. Never heard anything about this in all the things I've read on the VX, if they went to that trouble and expense - I would think they would have exploited it?

JAFO
07/06/2005, 11:44 PM
They plate it with zinc because zinc doesn't rust like steel - same reason they nickel-plate gun parts.

Paintability is anyone's guess, though. I know that stainless steel won't hold paint well (or a magnet, for that matter), but beyond that - I'm clueless.

Side note about stainless: Anyone no what is recommended for cleaning road tar or anything else off the stainless steel body of a Delorean? ... Paint thinner.

BTW I wish the made a stainless steel VX. Here's an idea release the VX-O2 in stainless! I would do anything for that!