PDA

View Full Version : Pantera..Any thoughts!

ocwiley
07/03/2005, 02:50 PM
I have been wanting a pantera for a long time. a 1973 or 1974.
has anyone have some tips?
And no I'm not getting rid of the VX, I think someday the resale value will go up!
aloha,
ocwiley

Chopper
07/03/2005, 06:39 PM
Guy I worked with at, Palm Coast Data, had a early one. Brought it here from Cali. Paid 35 large for it 15 years ago. Never drove it, but the ride Tom gave me was enough. Horrid handling- 3 hands full of car when driving at maybe 7 tenths. A show car....sure. A play car...eh..,no. Plus it's forever in a state of rebuild.

Joe_Black
07/03/2005, 08:46 PM
I think a buddy still has his and last I spoke to him it was for sale. Never was particularly impressed myself. Used to have a Lamborghini Miura and swapped for a weekend and actually missed the Miura after a couple hours with the DeTomaso. ;) You'd certainly find a new hobby looking for parts sources.

bliptrip
07/04/2005, 06:51 AM
Panteras are amazing sports cars, and like our VXs, very unique and limited production. There is a network of Pantera-specific suppliers that can get every part you need, and because of the Ford V-8, modification/maintainence is a breeze. You're not spending Mega$$$ for a clutch replacement like you would with the Lamborghini Miura.

Handling? Panteras routinely stomp both vintage and current sports cars in track and open road events. Because of the mid-engine design and high power, it takes an experienced driver to get the best out of it, but once you have the skills, it's a tough car to beat. It is unforgiving to the novice driver who can find himself in a lot of trouble in a hurry.

Rebuilding? It is a 35-year old car, and if you buy one that is stock/unmodified, like any older sports car, you have to replace stuff that has worn out. But once you do, the parts are usually better than new and you don't have to worry anymore. The major issue is rust, which can be expensive to repair. You'd probably be best off buying a Pantera that someone else has already totally restored and modified. Currently, $45-$55K will get you a pristine car that someone has already probably put $85K+ into.

-Phil

Check these sites for more info:

http://www.panteraplace.com/

http://www.panteracars.com/

mikieg
07/04/2005, 08:28 AM
...thoguth you were talking about the band...huhuhuhuuhuh...uuuhhhhhh...

Chopper
07/04/2005, 04:11 PM
Thought he was dead...you know...........the Pantera dude. Some freak shot him...yeow!...Ouch!!

Chopper
07/04/2005, 04:16 PM
Where in Phila.??? Home ground. The 26 year old shorties live around Doylestown.

redline
07/04/2005, 08:46 PM
I believe the 73's had a tube frame and the were changed to a box frame later,I had my eyes on a Pantera sitting in a garage next door of my sister's house.36k miles sitting on flat tires/the old lady that lives there son own's it and moved to Conneticut,no interest in selling . :mad: