PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil in footwell

Richard039
07/01/2005, 02:21 PM
Hi
Does anyone know why I have engine oil leaking into my front footwell????????

SPAZZ
07/01/2005, 02:49 PM
sounds like Dirty(used) Power Steering fluid to me. The VX uses Dextron III which when used and never changed looks like a dark color which may be mistaken for oil.

A little more details may be helpful.

Richard039
07/01/2005, 03:06 PM
I don't seem to be losing any fliuds but engine oil. Bearing in mind my vx is right hand drive, the drivers footwell (carpet) is soaked in oil. The main problem with the Uk is there are only a handfull of Vx's around so all workshops want a small fortune to repair them.
Thanks Richard

Joe_Black
07/01/2005, 04:06 PM
It's hard to imagine where it could possibly be originating from as the VX's oil sensor is an eletronic unit, so there's no plumbing into the cockpit from the oil galleries. The only thing coming through the firewall that transports any liquid is the lines for the heater core and evaporator.

Do you have an after-market oil pressure gauge installed? If so, check the line as it's not uncommon for them to crack and leak. If not then check the firewall on the engine side with a good bright light to see if oil is perhaps being sprayed against the firewall near one of the rubber wiring grommets. If this is the case, hot oil can accumulate enough around the grommet to be wicked inside by the carpet underlayment. Then you'd need to address the source of the oil.

As for servicing the VX in the UK hopefully some of the other owners there can chime in an voice their experiences and recommendations. Failing that, find a shop well versed in Troopers as most of the driveline is the same. Especially since y'all have the short-wheelbase Troopers there.

SPAZZ
07/01/2005, 04:24 PM
are you checking your oil dipstick and having to add oil??? If not then the front pinion nut can be known to come loose and spray gear oil all over...or the cv boot can blow out and throw grease all over...or the axle shaft to cv's bracket bolts can come loose causing gear oil to shoot all over too.

MZ-N10
07/02/2005, 12:51 AM
the 3.5 we have in the US likes to burn oil.... mine burns about 1.5 quarts every 3000miles. but i have to go with joe since the cabin is suppose to be sealed from teh engine to avoid heat from getting in. so the only real holes r for the heater, ac and electrical stuff...

Tone
07/02/2005, 06:08 PM
It is probably coolant from a leaky heater core and will be very slippery and appear dark in the carpet/padding.