PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a VX

creeg
06/30/2005, 09:57 PM
Hi- I just recently became aware of the VX, and want to buy one. But I want to get an idea about whether its a good buy.

Anyone want to offer some advice about:

1) whether its worth getting one

2) what a good price in the Los Angeles area might be

3) What year is the best (Im assuming the 2001)

4) anything I should watch out for when inspecting?

5) How rough is the ride? Im assuming that since it is 4wd, and it is made for some offroad, its not the smoothest- but its not as bouncy as a jeep wrangler, is it?

Im pretty good mechanically with older cars (used to own a 1959 Studebaker and loved it), and will consider this an investment in a hobby if I get one. But I want to make sure its not a lemon.

Ive seen some VXs on Autotrader.com, 2001, for around $16K-15K with 45K miles on them. I think thats a good price...

Thanks!

Craig

Any help is appreciated.

thebear54
07/01/2005, 04:10 AM
Hey Craig...
Welcome to the board.
Now as to your questions: ;)
1. Is The VX worth getting? My answer would have to be; not only YES, but HELL YES. I finally bought mine after an almost two year search and love every second of it. I too bought mine as a "Collector's type investment" because of the looks, reputation and their rarity.
2. What's a good price? Well I have seen them go for as little as 11K and go all the way to about 17K. Not bad considering the original 30K sticker price.
3. What's the best year? All three years are the same. The only major difference is the '00 and '01 went to 18" tires/wheels and offered more of a color variety. Other than that all the years are the same with the same features.
4. What to watch for? As with any "used car" watch for the normal basics. One major trouble point on the VX are the power windows which have a tendency to get out of place when going up. If the dealer won't fix them under warranty then there are many postings here to show you quick, easy fixes.
5. Rough Ride? Yes, the ride is a little roughter than your average Rolls-Royce :) but he...who cares, it's a VehiCROSS. The car was designed to go off-road but it has great handling and super looks.

As I said earlier, I purchased mine as a pure investment but I love driving it. I have taken the car to many car shows in the past two years and I love the expressions from the people who see the car for the first time. Consider that Isuzu only produced 4,803 VX models between 1997-2001. If and when you find one....GRAB IT :cool:
Good Luck.....John

Ldub
07/01/2005, 05:10 AM
Hey Bear,
Not trying to be Mr. knowitall but, the 00 & 01 models also have climate control systems that I'll be always envious of. :(
Ldub

Oh yeah, Craig, If you like driving a car that hauls axe, handles well, goes most anywhere worth going, turns heads & draws small crowds...this is probably your kind of ride. ;)

VehiGAZ
07/01/2005, 05:18 AM
The warranty was longer on the '00 and '01 models, too, I thought.

thebear54
07/01/2005, 05:39 AM
SO TRUE....SO TRUE...SO TRUE
Two good points, but not really enough to sway my vote on which year is better :p
John

creeg
07/01/2005, 08:07 AM
Great- sounds like these are worth having. Thanks for the input.
There are 3 for sale within 100 miles of my zip code (los angeles: autotrader.com), so Im seriously considering it.

What about the mechanicals of the car? Ive not had any experience with Isuzus, so dont know their track record for reliability. Any insight there?

Tone
07/01/2005, 08:51 AM
If you have to ask an enthusiast's board, you probably should NOT get one. Low, low gas mileage, poor rear (and front to some degree) visibility, difficult rear seat access, declining resale value (ain't no investment, and short wheelbase/performance ride aren't for everyone. But then you've read all that by searching the board.... Warranty is a mute point unless you find a low mileage, single owner VX.

creeg
07/01/2005, 09:07 AM
I dont think you are going to dissuade me that easily. :)

I want to see one in person, and then I will decide. but I appreciate the honesty!

I just want to know if these are notorious for any major problems. Like I said, I use to own a 1959 Studebaker, so Im no stranger to problems and a rough ride. Im not looking for a Ferrari look that drives like a Rolls Royce.

The only other factor is that Im 6'2". one review I read say that the front seats are pretty roomy. As long as that is the case, I think I will be very happy with one of these.

creeg
07/01/2005, 09:09 AM
I forgot to mention:

someone in my parking structure at work has one- that is where I fell in love with it. Its a yellow one, 5700 Wilshire in L.A.

Anyone know who that is? I would love to talk with them....

Craig

Tone
07/01/2005, 09:19 AM
They are small but there are several tall owners - just depends if you can drive slightly reclined and your head close to the roof. Isuzu is known for having very long lasting engines/vehicles but you must stay on top of maintenance, especially monitoring the oil level since usage of 1 Qt per 3,000 miles (correct me ya'll if it less - I check mine weekly) and lack of lubrication has caused a number of failures. There are quite few VXes in Cali, I know of 2 friends in Marina Del Ray and Venice Beach/Santa Monica (yellow w/ Headblade advertising on it)

AnalogVX
07/01/2005, 09:24 AM
You asked if the ride is similar to a Jeep Wrangler. That was my first comparison when I first got mine. Most easily fixed with Rancho adjustable shocks. I can not believe the improvement in the ride. More than likely, if the the one you find has the original shocks, one or all will need to be replaced anyway. I have not had the window problems to the extent of some here on the board, but it does exist as far the drivers window rocking slightly while it's being rolled up. Silicone every once in while helps that. CD player sucks plain outright...likes to keep your CDs. I replaced mine with the cubby insert. My oil consumption varies wildly from none to a quart every 1000 miles. Keep a watchful eye when you fill up. Otherwise, 87,500 miles and still going strong (knock wood). Spend some time searchng in depth and you will find a wealth on knowledge on the board. Good Luck!

Raque Thomas
07/01/2005, 11:51 AM
I'm 6'1" and no problems at all with room. The VX feels much more roomy once you are in it than it looks from the outside. The back seat can be a little difficult to get into, but is quite roomy once you are back there. it rides like an '84 Vette (which they fixed in the later models), but I love that. Suffice it to say that if you run over a twig, you will feel it!!

The mechanical issues are minor (windows, Cd player, etc) except for the reputed engine failure problem; however, I think it may have been made to look a little worse here than it really is - this same engine was used in MANY Troopers, Rodeos, Passports, & SLX's, the failure rate per 1,000 has been low. The couple of people on the board who had an engine failure will most likely disagree with that statement!

As you've already discovered, this board is an excellent source of information, and the members are usually more than willing to help in any way possible. If you run into an issue, chances are someone else here has dealt with it and can give you some insight. Good luck, and WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

creeg
07/01/2005, 12:14 PM
The more I talk about this, the more excited I am about getting one of these. Everything else Ive seen just doesnt fit. This totally fits me.

Im getting one. Theres a silver one, 2001, 82K miles, for around $12K.

Sounds like a good price to me.

Im going to be out of town this weekend. I just hope its still here when I get back...

Craig

NJVX
07/02/2005, 07:03 AM
Creeg,

I bought mine about a year and a half ago, its a 2000. I found it on auto trader.com. I live in NJ, hence my name. lol. I had to go to NC. to get it.
It only had 44,000 miles on it when I bought it. I paid 13999. I think if you search around a little more you can find a better deal. Not that the one you are looking for is not, but I think you can get one with less miles. Knock on wood I now have 57000 on it with no problems. And yes I still love it, and smile when ever I think about it, or drive it..So good luck and you won't regret buying one..

Dean

SW_VX gal
07/09/2005, 10:25 AM
Hi,

Newbie here, and fell in love with the VX like you did Craig...

I too am in the Los Angeles area, and saw a few as well, which
includes the silver one in the Autotrader....

You answered just about every question I could ask, which is why
I am thanking you for starting such an inforamtive thread.

I hope it all works out on your VX adventure, as I am looking as well,
and am doing my homework just like you...

Have a good weekend :)

Sue777
07/09/2005, 11:10 AM
Hello "soon to be VXer's". You seem like you truly want HONEST opinions before you buy, so I'm going to add my two cents. Keep in mind, since I'm a female my opinions may be worth more to SW than to Creeg, but take what you want and leave the rest. ;)

Two years ago it was time to replace my vehicle, but I was getting more and more depressed because I couldn't find ANYTHING I liked enough to want to own. Hubby kept telling me to pick out anything (within reason) but there was NOTHING that I wanted to be driving for the next few years. Out of desperation I was doing a search on E-Bay for "unique" vehicles, and had my first glimpse of a VX. I was in love. I started doing research and homework and learning all I could, but secretly I already knew I would dismiss any negatives I heard and HAD to have one. It just had the "look" I wanted, and not much else mattered. As long as it had the basics, I swore I could live with any other inconveniences. I pretty much bought it "sight unseen" from New Jersey (I'm in CT) and paid $18,000 for a 2001 with 32,000 miles on it. (two years ago). The only mods it had were a combination anti-theft and auto-start system, and huge amps and speakers taking up the whole back area.

I was in heaven. She looks great, and she handles like a charm. Tight and with a really small turning radius (is that even a proper term???) She's comfortable to get in and out of.... just the right height, and the seats are to die for. Climate control, 6-CD player, and power windows were a nice plus.

Of course the blush came off the rose after about a year and some of the little things really started bothering me. First of all the visibility is terrible. I have VanEyes on the back, and stick-on mirrors on both side rearview mirrors to try and help that. I have a panoramic mirror in the front now, and even with all that, I still wish I could see better, especially when changing lanes on the highway. (I avoid the highway a lot because of the visibility). Right now hubby and I are pricing mirrors with the built in monitor and cam for backing up.

Back seat is useless in my opinion. Too hard to get in and out of. I have since removed the back seats altogether and now have a cute, sporty, two-seater with very adequate cargo room.

Yes, the power windows gave us trouble.... the local Isuzu dealer took care of that for us under warranty.

I really didn't like having to keep turning off the VX and getting out to unlock/open the rear door, so hubby just installed Tone's rear-popper. (thank you, Tone!)

Next thing that's getting to me? The ride. Since this is my primary vehicle, and since I DON'T ever use it for off-roading, the rough, stiff ride is starting to wear on me. We're looking into different shocks to try to improve that - suggestions welcome. I don't expect it to drive like a car, but this ride is REALLY stiff.

All in all? I love my VX. Once I replace the shocks and get some more visibility in her, I am going to be as enamored as I was two years ago, and still, regardless of her flaws, I love looking at her and getting into her in a crowded parking lot. She just steals the show wherever we are. Are looks really that important? Hell yes! :thumbup:

Ldub
07/09/2005, 03:27 PM
Dibs if you want to sell your stock shocks when you change, providing that they haven't been run dry. Also, you have a pm.
Thanks, Ldub

Bulldoggie
07/09/2005, 11:17 PM
I'm 5'10" and my head has found the grab handle on the drivers side roof a few times, I have a long torso I guess. I haven't found to many cars with enough head room to wear a hat, other than my 1 ton truck. I sit upright in the VX, most Japanese cars I have to crawl into and recline the seat till I'm looking out the back window. my head would touch the roof on a Miata I used to own, but a great car is worth it.
The VX is stiff in the ride, but so are all great race/sports type cars. I've owned a lot of sports cars over the years , but I love the VX on long drives, and I do have the power window problem, and you do have to back carefully in parking lots. Most important of all, NO DINGS on the doors, unless you park next to a garbage truck.