PDA

View Full Version : Hood latch go bye bye?

WormGod
06/29/2005, 08:47 AM
Anyone had a problem with their hood latch giving out? I washed her up good this weekend and when I went to pop the hood, the dash latch pulls but the hood no poppy. I even had someone try to pull the hood as I pulled the latch and nothing. Figures, I am going in for my 30k checkup in about a week or 2 and this happens. I have some fixes from my old body shop days, but they dont seem very likely to work with the VX design. I am unsure what to do to get this remedied. Damned new age designs! Hahahaha.

Tone
06/29/2005, 09:10 AM
Sounds like abuse from lack of opening! ;) Have someone pull the release while you lift on the front edge of the hood, the clean and lubricate the mechanism with lithium grease.

Python VX
06/29/2005, 09:18 AM
Mine does the same thing. It's a 99 and due for its 100K checkup, so I was going to have it dealt with then. If I have someone pull the latch and I pop the hood it comes open.

All I've figured out so far is that one of the springs in the front doesn't pull back when the cord it pulled.

John M>

MZ-N10
06/29/2005, 11:34 AM
Mine does the same thing. It's a 99 and due for its 100K checkup, so I was going to have it dealt with then. If I have someone pull the latch and I pop the hood it comes open.

All I've figured out so far is that one of the springs in the front doesn't pull back when the cord it pulled.

John M>

they the rubber stops on teh hood....i had tat happen to me when i first got my vx

Ldub
06/29/2005, 03:30 PM
If no poppy when friend lift hood & you pull handle...probably cable brokey? :(

Raque Thomas
06/29/2005, 04:06 PM
On a friend's vehicle (not a VX) - we had to push down on the hood while pulling the latch and then let go while latch was still pulled. After a good lube of the workings it operated normally after that.

Maugan_VX
06/29/2005, 04:26 PM
yeah mine had this problem when I first got it.

The immediate solution is to spray a buttload of WD40 up in the latch area then push down on the hood while pulling the cable.

The permanent solution, replace the latch mechanism.

SlowPro48
06/29/2005, 07:43 PM
I am unsure what to do to get this remedied.

If it's a broken cable you've only got one choice - replace it. That's probably not the case though...

If it's like mine and the latch works but the hood simply fails to pop up, you can lube it and that will give you a few months service - but the real problem is that the "popper spring" (I don't know what else to call it) gets weak. You could probably replace it with OEM but any spring that's close in length and strength will do. It's not rocket science, although it sure would have been nice if the Engineer In Charge of Hood Latches had spec'ed a higher quality spring or at least a stronger one to account for the fact that this spring is under tension 24/7 and is bound to fatigue.

I just used a spring from a dirt bike exhaust. Those things are fairly robust. It's actually a little stronger than the weak-tit OEM spring. The hood jumps up with authority now! And the exhaust spring will probably last longer as they are made to withstand a lot of vibration and heat while being stretched 8760 hours/year.

Hope this helps!

WormGod
06/30/2005, 07:17 AM
Ok, was just curious if any other VXs ran across this problem. Wondering if it was something that was bound to happen.

It's funny, it worked great about 3 weeks ago with no problems. The hood has not been popped since. Suddenly, nothing. All I did was wash and wax her up. Guess she preferred being dirty and is throwing a fit now. :p

Tone
06/30/2005, 07:30 AM
The grease on the latch gets loaded with dirt and dust and gums up. Properly adjusted hood bumpers can help but it is inevitable. Replacing it or the spring sounds pretty extreme - clean all the old grease off with carb cleaner or some other spray solvent or even WD40 (protect areas around it from overspray) and then lube with a quality grease. Hit the rear hinges too with lube.

Maugan_VX
06/30/2005, 03:24 PM
Tone,

I had to replace my latch because it was so corroded that it would fail to operate correctly. (To much friction, which is why the WD40 helped quite a bit)

WormGod
07/01/2005, 07:33 AM
Hey Tone, not to sound cocky.... but, I gotta get it open before I can do that, hahahahahaha. ;)

Tone
07/01/2005, 08:45 AM
Did you try what was recommended here - pull the lever while someone is lifting the hood? If it is corroded, it means it has not been kept clean and lubricated. Spring failing, I don't think I've ever had that happen nor have anyone I know on 20 yr old vehicles - but replacing the whole assembly is one way to fix a problem.

SlowPro48
07/11/2005, 07:36 PM
So Gary - what's up?

Not your hood, eh? HaHa! ;)

OK - just wondering if you lubed the problem away or replaced the spring. I guess I could be the only one with a weak spring but for some reason I doubt it...

WormGod
07/14/2005, 07:41 AM
Trust me guys, I wouldnt have asked any questions here had I not tried all the above. I was a body shop tech for 8 years and I would be stupid had I not known how they work in the first place, heh.

But, nothing yet. It simply doesnt pop at all. I am thinking the cable is fubar, but we'll see. I have been working a LOT lately so I have had no time to even play with it. She goes in for her 30K mile check up very soon now and I am just gonna have that remedied while she is there. Well, that and a few more things.... like the S/C!!!! ;)