PDA

View Full Version : Hood insert and headlight issue.

VXNIT
06/27/2005, 11:58 AM
Gave the VX a spa treatment this weekend, noticed my second pair of new headlights have some type of film peating off the tops just like firwst pair ISUZU replaaced at time of purchase, has any VX'ers had this issue? I live in Fl whaer conditions are harsh but wondering. Also noticed a spot the size of a dime appearing under the hood insert creating a raised area like rust developing under the skin or blister with uneven edges. Anyone ran into this?

MZ-N10
06/27/2005, 04:21 PM
im not sure wat kind of film ur talkin about for the headlights, but mine r pretty faded(kinda dirty,scratched, foggy look). i remmeber researchin up on the headlights, and fading happened to alot of ppl.

Tone
06/27/2005, 07:16 PM
Our headlights do not hold up well to UV - some have used plastic polish with good success. Those that are parked in the shade / insideand driven rarely almost never have this problem.

VXNIT
06/27/2005, 07:45 PM
I agree Tone I think the UV levels here in FL just run havick on the headlights. They appear to begin peeling like sun burn skin and flake off gradually. Any thoughts on my hood insert bubling?

WormGod
06/29/2005, 08:40 AM
I have the misfortune of having 2 unmatching headlights. One replaced and the other the original. The original is quite flaked and makes my VX look uneven in the front. I tried a few things to get it right, but even plastic polish will do nothing once they have flaked. Looks like I have to get a new one to match and use polish on both occasionally to keep them pristine.

The insert is just a really bad design in general. They should have used plastic or vinyl. Fiberglass with no kind of protection on the back means it will soak in moisture and eventually bloat and crack. It's inevitable. We always complained about a recall for the windows.... hell, how about the damned insert?! I have the C/F1 scoop insert now and plan to paint it a matching flat gray like the original insert.

Headlights and inserts, both situations that seem like they will eventually go sour.

VX4EJR
06/29/2005, 08:54 AM
Headlights and inserts, both situations that seem like they will eventually go sour.

How true, but for all vehicles regardless of make or model I doubt any manufacturer strives to incorporate higher standards and materials with longevity in mind when building cars. Cost more money etc and they certainly don't make any promises beyond a vehicle's warranty period on wear. It's sink or swim however the vehicle owner solely takes on the responsibility of these things in prevention and correction and that's all there is to it.

One day it would be nice to have better quality and longer lasting be priorities among auto makers, it's just not currently a requirement when you buy. That would be asking for too much. :confused: