PDA

View Full Version : Can fellow VXer's solve the tire mystery?

VXNIT
06/24/2005, 08:22 AM
I am days away from ordering tires. I have been told the AVS St Yoks 285/60/18 are biggest tire that will go under the VX WITHOUT trimming. I have noticed several conflicting posts on this issue. Couple guys claim no trimming at all while some indicated some trimming required. Can fellow VX's solve the mystery of widest tires that fit a 18 inch stock VX. I am wanting to fill these wheel wells in adn want widest foot print I can get with no trimming.

tomdietrying
06/24/2005, 07:05 PM
No mystery.......there's NO TRIMMING.
Peace.
Tom

WyrreJ
06/25/2005, 10:21 AM
Why the insistence on no trimming? I just put the famous Nittos on my VX yesterday and the trimming was really quite trivial. Just a quick 10-second zip with a dremel to take off a piece the size of my thumb, it could have hardly been any smoother and just about as invisible as it can get.

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/26/2005, 08:23 AM
I am days away from ordering tires. I have been told the AVS St Yoks 285/60/18 are biggest tire that will go under the VX WITHOUT trimming. I have noticed several conflicting posts on this issue. Couple guys claim no trimming at all while some indicated some trimming required. Can fellow VX's solve the mystery of widest tires that fit a 18 inch stock VX. I am wanting to fill these wheel wells in adn want widest foot print I can get with no trimming.

I think the answer to your mystery is simply that those who put the Yokos on and stayed on-road never had to trim...but, those who ventured off-road where full suspension articulation comes into play may have heard a tire rub and trimmed a bit afterwards. I only offer this speculation because my aftermarket wheels and tires looked like they would never touch but when I thought about full suspension travel coming into play I trimmed a very small portion to "PREVENT" any possible rubbing.

Like the previous post....I defy you to spot where I trimmed...it goes totally unnoticed...so don't be uptight if you do have to trim. I cut off a half-moon crescent shaped piece directly ahead of each front wheel using a carbide cutting wheel and about 5 minutes per side including drawing a line with a black marker to follow for neatness.

VXNIT
06/26/2005, 12:05 PM
Jolly, good point, I have posted several times trying to nail this down and I think what you have stayed must be the difference as Tomdietrying stated to me previous he does not off road much like myself and has no trimming needs. Many thanks gentlemen, I must admit I am a little hung up on the trimming issue. New tires are a big $ item for me and want to make sure the choice is correct. Also want the widest looking tire I can slide on these stock 18's. Thanks much..David Daytona FL

newthings
06/26/2005, 05:52 PM
You know the 285/60-18 are wider than recommended for the stock rims.
Some report odd handeling.
Roy

VXNIT
06/26/2005, 06:34 PM
Tomdietrying, How do yours handle on those stock 18's??? We discussed our driving styles are similar, any problems with handling issues?

Raque Thomas
06/26/2005, 06:34 PM
You know the 285/60-18 are wider than recommended for the stock rims.
Some report odd handeling.
Roy

Not really "odd" handling, but your VX will follow ruts and imperfections in the road. Any vehicle I've had with wide tires has done this, and you get used to it. You will probably get a rougher ride than stock with the wider tires as well.