PDA

View Full Version : Lift Question

TEN36VX
06/22/2005, 01:54 PM
I would like to put together a top of the line lift using better parts than any of the packaged kits out there. Just wanted to know from the more experienced how important the track bar extensions are. CalMini is the only kit I have found with them and they wont sell them alone, or so they tell me.

It seams like it would unnecissary to need them since the arc of travel would remain the same; the axle would just rest further down the arc than stock... Granted moving or lengthening the track bar would center the wheel in the well when at rest, but compressed it would be further to the rear than center.

Am I wrong here? Any advise or problem solving?

TEN36VX
06/23/2005, 07:58 PM
anyone... anyone...?

BritVX
06/27/2005, 04:41 AM
there is a lot of stuff on this site about lifts. I don't see the need to buy a kit unless someone's offering a good discount! The only problem area I had was the brackets for lowering the front croos member to do the front diff' lower. The holes in the brackets were too low and needed filing into slots due to the channel used to make them having internal radiused corners.
Re the track bars I'm of the same mind as you, I did not extend mine and I haven't noticed anything wrong or untoward with the handling.

Col

SPAZZ
06/27/2005, 01:11 PM
Calmini kit you need
1) Rear trac bar extension(minor grinding needed)
2) rear brake line extension
3) Rear springs
4) Front and rear bump stop extensions

you DO NOT NEED THE REST!!!

I was on the phone for about 45 minutes with them finagling me and trying to not sell to me. In the end they said the products I buy separately will not be honored under warranty. So, with that in mind they are known for their sagging springs so to keep them stiff you need a pair of Doetsch Tec DT9163 Nitrogen dual reservoir shocks and EXTRA EXTRA stiff..trust me you will enjoy the ride way better than the other soft shocks out their that will make you bounce alot when offroad or hitting bumps.

Don't take no for an answer from Calmini.KEEP YOU R FRONT STOCK SHOCKS ON THOUGH...they are perfectly fine.

TEN36VX
06/27/2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info BritVX. What size tires are you running and how much lift did you go for?

Spazz, We discussed that stuff before. Wondering what your take on the necessity for the track extensions would be, given the geometry issue.

Moncha
06/27/2005, 05:22 PM
Jay Dunford has a high lift and went with adjustable links.. See if he'll chime in here, or PM him and see what he has to say.

BritVX
06/28/2005, 04:58 AM
At present I have approx' 3" lift but I'm half way through installing the plates to drop the front diff then I'll be installing the coil spacers and cranking the Torion bars again. Altogether I think it should be 4" - 4 1/2" higher. I'm running on 285/75 R16 All Terrains on 16"X10" alloys, I needed to do a slight bit of cladding trimming but nothing much. I've also done my own camber adjustment, not too difficult just very fiddling as you have to get your hands into a very small area.

SPAZZ
If the Calmini springs sag why not get the OME912s?
Also can you give me the reasoning behind extending the Trac Bars and if it's something I need to do could you give me a new length as I'll have to get them made here in the UK.

Col

SPAZZ
06/29/2005, 12:39 AM
not trac bars...but the rear TRAC bar behind the axle that handles the left right angle of the axle. The rear Drag link bars that make sure your wheels do not come too far forward or backward may need to be extended a little when going with larger than 33" tires. But, they are fine for anything 33" and smaller.
OME 912's only allow for 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" lift...Calmini lifts it 3 inches and if you have the extra stiff shocks you have a really good ride. Although I'm sure you could buy the OME 912's and then the coil spacers, but when offroading such as I do the spacers fall out when I achieve max articulation( I have the sway bars disconnected). Even now I probably should wire my springs in place so when the axle articulates maxed out that the spring doesn't pop out and then jam the wiring harness that is close by. Swordy had that happen and it costs like a grand to fix.

BritVX
06/29/2005, 04:28 AM
Thanks very much for the info SPAZZ I'm not sure I'll go to the extremes that I've seen in your photos but I will now look for a way of securing the cups it's a good idea.

Incidently, When adjusting my camber angle I found I had to put in 5mm of shim to correct the angle. This has reduced the thread length protruding out of the nut to 2 threads, a length I consider acceptable. When I go higher I'll obviuosly be increasing my shim thickness, if this takes the thread length below the head of the nut I'll be putting longer bolts in.
Has anyone else done this change or have you checked that it's be done by the garage if they adjusted your camber? I only mention this as the bolts are highly stressed and failure at speed would be catastrophic.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I think the info is useful to all.

Col

TEN36VX
04/28/2006, 06:24 AM
I realize this is an old threat, but I figured why start yet another on the same topic... I noticed my original question didnt really get answered.

I finally got my VX paid off so I am now ready to build my lift. I notice that the DOR and Independent kits dont have the Track Bar extension that the Calmini kit has.

How necessary is that piece?
If it's so important why doesn't anybody else make it?
Do you know how much extension it give? [I]I might just have a longer trac bar fab'ed...[/I

SPAZZ
04/28/2006, 12:28 PM
call Calmini and ask them. They will tell you that they will NOT sell you individual pieces of the lift unless you have one already and unless you lie or finagle them they wil not sell individual pieces.

It took me about 45 minutes each time I called them just to get them to sell me the parts they did and each time they told me that they would not cover any of them in the event of failure at all under any circumstances.

Also, their POS suposed "BOLT ON" trac bar extension was not bolt on at all and required cutting and grinding for it to fit. They were of no help on the phone and told me I was SOL.

Their springs sagged wihin months, they wouldn't send a new set.

I can't remember how much I paid for the track bar extension, but you can try to call and see if they will sell it to you :p