PDA

View Full Version : Buyers Guide / Tips

moon buggy
06/20/2005, 02:28 AM
Hey I'm new here...My 'moon buggy' name is very apt for the car i thought..anyway ...I'm from Australia...where these babies have come in as JDM imports in very limited numbers ..6 in total ..[so the story goes]..I've only ever seen one in captivity here...and now as the import rules have changed [only bring pre 89 models] no more will ever get here... anyway ..one has come up for sale !!!!..and after doing a search here I couldn't find a link using either of the above words...so I'm asking for assistance..

..just quickly on the model brought in to Oz ..classed as a 97 has recaro seats [but not leather trimmed], momo, airbags, ABS, TOD 4spd auto, air [but not climate], runs unleaded but the engine is 3.2L not 3.5L [as noted in a thread I saw on motors failing], also JDMs have the rear camera...anyway I need to go into one of these with eyes 'very' open, so if you could point to a link as above I'd appreciate it... sorry i slipped in under the radar with 4 digit Vin but i need to get as much info as I can..and your forum looks like the place..so thanks advance

David Down Under

johnnyapollo
06/20/2005, 04:06 AM
Hey David,

You'll want to look at the rearview camera and navigation system - I don't believe the nav works outside of JP. The JDM also have folding automatic mirrors (button on the center armrest console). Is that one of the lighter interiors or darker?

Here are some other differences based on research:

Japanese Exterior:
5 Exterior colors (White, Black, Blue, Green and Red - 25 Colors on 175 LTD version)
Wheels: Matte 16 inch or Chrome 16 inch on 175 LTD version
Headlights: Direct Quartz Bulb
Right Side Fender Mirror
Round Side Marker Lights behind wheel well
Black Grill Fangs (no covers)
Keyed Entry
Electric Folding Heated Door Mirrors

Japanese Interior:
Cloth Patterned Seats (2-tone leather on 175 LTD version)
Momo Steering Wheel
Rear View Camera plus 2-DIN TV/Cassette Stereo w/Sat-Nav Option
Short Center Arm Rest
No Rear Headrests

Japanese Technical:
3.2 L Engine
Stiffer Suspension Settings
2Lo 2Hi TOD

-- John

BritVX
06/20/2005, 04:22 AM
David,

I'm an owner in the UK which is the same spec VX your looking at. John covered the main differences but if you have specific things I'll try to answer them. Mines a 97 and I've had no problems since I bought it 9 months ago. The power take up isn't the smoothest in the world and you get a few clunks now and again from diff wind up but I've changed the suspension to 912 OME coils on the rear and bigger wheels 285/75 R16s this has made the ride much softer (bearable) and the bigger wheels make the acceleration less viscious. Make sure you try out the Power button (if the acceleration isn't neck snapping check the engine more closely). I had problems with the reversing camera and replaced it with one from a guy on this site, Tone Monday it was less than 1/4 of the cost of the original.

Col

moon buggy
06/20/2005, 04:51 PM
thanks for the replies so far...is there a buyers tips section or link that I can study here or can you folks point me in the right direction of one..

Col thanks also, it sounds as you say, like both countries have had the same models imported..I don't think the ones that landed here had GPS, the Vx i saw here in Brisbane had the rear camera which seemed to work fine, no CD from what i could tell, it also had aftermarket 18s on it, its a shame the leather upgrade didn't get here either..but the local one I saw I thought was a bit rough, with one or two bits of trim missing a little ding /perforation in the plastic molding on the tailgate, plastic molding seemed heavily faded in sections, signs of heavy wear on the interior [steering wheel etc], and also not knowing at that stage that the Vx engines were pertol I said to the guy looking at the exhaust pipe "is it tubo diesel" ..as the pipe was very black/sootie..his car had over 100,000kms on it..

The one for sale is a grey/silver 97 with only late 60,000kms but they are asking big $ [~$26K AUD], certainly compared to US pricing converting to AUD at say 1.28, then based on US prices VX here should be late teens at best..

Look forward to any other feedback others may have
Thanks again
David

BritVX
06/21/2005, 04:15 AM
David,

Unfortunately prices for any vehicle sold in the US that's available in other countries will always be cheaper by a significant margin. I'm considering importing a US vehcile when mine gives out and doing a complete referb of my UK model (or something to that effect). Prices in the UK vary from £9,000 to £12,000 which I think should be a good guide for Oz prices. Don't worry about a bit of soot on the tail pipe mine has that but just passed an emissions test and it's compression is still excellent.

The problem you have when looking to buy is there is much more opportunity for offroading in Oz so someone may have thrashed it to death. Tell tale signs are steerring joint play, suspension play or any scrape marks on the bash plates.
Mind you the stock Jap import is such a hard ride I can't imagine anyone doing anything severe off road.

Col

moon buggy
06/21/2005, 06:42 AM
thanks Col, thats more of what I'm looking for..I quizzed my local mechanic re the engines, he thinks they're the same fitted to the recent Rodeo models here and felt they wouldn't be a problem to sort, as these [Rodeos] are a common work 'ute' in Oz..he hadn't heard of any failures of either of the 2 sized motors..and that one that they had pulled down was because of a cracked head....the bottom end of the motor he said was fine...his shop does a lot of local older car servicing as well a lot other work now on the main stream JDM imports [mostly vans] that seem thick on the ground here...

Pricing based on your numbers with $3AUD ~ Pound [from what I recall], then the AU pricing is probably [unfortunately :( ]about right..

So I gather then there are no other things specific [to the VX] that I should be looking out for other than really the basics of any car/4wd purchase..ensure it all works, opens and shuts, general wear and tear, ensure all servicing books etc are in order..
so let me pose some ??s then..

Life expectancy[ies], things to watch for ??..surprises!! ..so tell me about....

1. - engine [sorry] ie what Kms/miles, milestones should be avoided..[if any]
2. - transmission as above, when are major services due, heat
3. - cv joints, diffs etc any drivetrain part that one should be conscious of..
4. - computer systems..failures, issues, costly failures ?
5. - timing chains/belts..at what service interval/or time major service req'd
6. - brakes - pad wear higher due to weight, rotors warping ?
7. - TOD - is this system tempremental, ie changing rolling diameters of tyres as an eg. affecting computer assessments of slippage needing TOD [when not needed eg false interpretation]..etc etc
8. - radiator..cooling system..fuel injection ..any isues
9. - and what about day to day annoying stuff - I see window regulators can be a problem, what about other systems in the VX, a/c, abs, water leaks, oil leaks, chewing batteries/tyres/unleaded or premium, locks/alarms/electrics, interior/exterior bits that snap off or fall off unexpectedly...any other anomalies that a buyer should be mindful of..

Hey sorry for the ?s [nearly Top 10], but perhaps this thread may be helpful to other onlookers as well as myself...all feedback greatly appreciated..yes I'm keen ..but more keen to make the right decision

Thx Again
David Down Under [call persistent !!]

BritVX
06/21/2005, 10:03 AM
Hi David,

Lots of questions and I hope others on the site can help you more, I've only had mine 9-10 months but so far I've experienced no problems and to date it's done 73,000 miles, 18K by me.

Col

moon buggy
06/21/2005, 02:28 PM
Col , thx again ..whats the chance of a couple of pics of yuor car ..I see its red the 2 I've seen here are grey and grey !!
Anyone else like to chime in on my top 10..it would be a great help..particularly over here if I am looking at no manufacturer support

David

moon buggy
06/23/2005, 01:15 PM
well now I'm getting close, this one has come up for sale, only 60,000kms, passenger window has come out of outer seal, and closers towards the windscreen ??, sems to drive well, harsh ride on badly repaired bitumen road, tyres new , new battery, engine bay very clean, climate air, rear camera works, no CD that I could see, has tape 'hole' in behind screen, 2 car books were the glove box, both in Japanese, didn't look like a service book tho..eg sevice butts stamped etc, interior rear side plastic panels loose looks like thumb sized round clips are busted that hold them in place [can those buttons/fixings be purchased], ext moldings have the odd scuff or scratch..not major tho..seats etc look to be in good nick, even has vehicross floor mats front and back !!

Any thoughts

David Down Under

moon buggy
08/17/2005, 09:12 PM
Answering some of my own questions as an owner now for a couple of months...just for those who do a search using above words, I thought it may be handy to have as much info on e thread instead of several..
for those looking over my shoulder, I will identify as best as possible if an item i mention is specifically related to the Japanese model [JDM], if its not identified as such then hopefully the info is generic to the VXs..
..so tell me about....

1. - engine - what Kms/miles, milestones should be avoided..[if any] - after investigating for either the 3.2 L [JDM] or 3.5L, its more like the 'old' days ...check your oil [dip stick] regularly, the 5 'P's applies, so after fuel fill up, and after/during a long trip check the oil level..do a search here on oil usage to find heaps..
2. - transmission as above, when are major services due, heat - he JDM version enables 4wd or 2wd [rear], US is full time 4wd, the JDM has a dip stick [sits in behind the oil stick..spring clips into place] where the US does not..again plenty on search for AT, generally robust no big issues..
3. - cv joints, diffs etc any drivetrain part that one should be conscious of.. - again from what I've read and experienced for drivetrain regular grease, ... bearings and diffs nothing out of the ordinary..failure rates low..
4. - computer systems..failures, issues, costly failures ? - again 'all good' nothing to be overly concerned about
5. - timing chains/belts..at what service interval/or time major service req'd - change around 70,000km mark, or years [I believe this could be 5 - 7 years]..service cost not unusual to any other 4wd needing that type of service, V6 engine is common to several GM products, 3.2L then grew to 3.5L
6. - brakes - pad wear higher due to weight, rotors warping ? - again nothing unusual on search the general consensus is to use the OEM pads, rotors..no issues
7. - TOD - is this system tempremental, ie changing rolling diameters of tyres as an eg. affecting computer assessments of slippage needing TOD [when not needed eg false interpretation]..etc etc - unlike some other 4wd systems TOD is effective and forgiving, oversized tyre/rims will cause pulsing, on JDM models selector can be set as TOD 'auto' or just 2High which is rear wd, 4wd is on the fly [high]...'pulsing' do searches for that, after market units can be used to overcoime speedo errors..but no not temperamental
8. - radiator..cooling system..fuel injection ..any isues - no issues
9. - and what about day to day annoying stuff - I see
- window regulators can be a problem - annoying but fixable, search ['How to's'], what about other systems in the VX,
-a/c, abs, water leaks, oil leaks - no issues - but do a search on those words, to find individual stuff
-chewing batteries/tyres/ - no different to other mid sized 4wds..all good..as always watch inadvertently leaving stuff on..
-unleaded or premium - generally premium, but engine computer will tolerate basic unleaded, but as always will run better on higher octane - fuel capacity 85L tank with fuel low light at 8L to go ..mpg 12s to 16s [14 - 15L/100kms ~ 450 - 500KMs on lit on ]depending on your foot [ search on this - plenty of discussions for mods etc],
- locks/alarms/electrics, interior/exterior bits that snap off or fall off unexpectedly...any other anomalies that a buyer should be mindful of..rear door does not come std with a popper to open, can be purchased after mkt..do search, no rear wiper..can't see out the back all that well anyway..JDMs come std with reversing camera..excellent ! needed, door mirrors are big as well to improve rear /SIDE VISION, air con is excellent..climate control nice feature...but nothing over the normal as far failure etc..access into the rear seats is tight but once in there's plenty of room..no cupholders..search stereo for peoples thoughts and mods

Hope this helps any other newbies searching for buyers guide ot tips..
have I forgotten anything..