PDA

View Full Version : Differencial Fluid check?

Numba1goalie
06/19/2005, 03:20 PM
Ok, so i have had to replace the fluid in many different differencials in my time. I thought i might as well check mine even though i just got it from the dealer a few days ago. From my knowledge, one should fill the fluid up to the bottom of the fill plug on the diff.

But when i checked mine today, i cant even feel fluid in there when i stick my pinky inside.

I wont fill it up just yet untill i can get an answer from you guys or a dealership. cause after all, it is running smooth.

So yea, is this normal that the front differencial is not filled to the bottom of the fill plug?

Thanks and lemme know!

SPAZZ
06/19/2005, 03:55 PM
front axle you must unscrew the bottom most axle housing to 3rd member bolt to drain...put goop sealant on bolt then put back on and tighten with a small wratchet or you could torque them off. Then use 24 MM socket to unscrew fill bolt and then pump untill gear oil starts to come out.

Rear you undo the drain bolt then use goop sealant and take CARE when tightening back on..use a 3/8" or 1/4" drive as not to overtighten...I once used a 1/2" drive Snapon wratchet and tightened the drain bolt and pop!!! twisted it out...I had to go get a bigger tap and thread and use a bigger bolt. Then same as front ...fill untill gear oil comes out fill bolt and then tighten...make sure you use torque seal and do not over or under tighten or you might lose your bolts and gear oil will sling out when driving.

Numba1goalie
06/19/2005, 05:25 PM
thanks bud. I got the brilliant idea to check the owners manual. DUHHH, im dumb sometimes.

Anyways. Any chance there is a picture of the drain bolts for the front? i saw a few under there but didnt under stand how any of them could let fluid out at once? thanks!

Ldub
06/19/2005, 09:16 PM
Front drain is the lowest bolt holding the diff. into axle housing. Drive it to get the fluids hot before draining. If nothing comes out after warming it up, poke a piece of wire hanger into the hole to push out sediment.

Numba1goalie
06/19/2005, 10:14 PM
Thats what i was thinking but i couldnt imagine why they would use a small hole like that for a drain plug. It looked kinda crusty in there so i will use a coat hanger or something next time.

Thanks Guys!