PDA

View Full Version : Calmini 3" Suspension Lift

TimG
03/26/2003, 02:18 PM
Well I took the plunge and ordered my suspension lift so I can install it in time for Moab.

The guys at Calmini are really cool. The one I was talking to asked me, "So what year is your VX?" How cool is that? They even know to call it a VX. Most places I've been or called say Isuzu vehi what?

I'll post pics when I'm done with the install.

TimG
03/26/2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by SPAZZ
I ordered mine too.
You ordered yours recently or have you already got it installed?

Tonka
03/27/2003, 06:40 PM
How much does it usually cost to install? I really want one.

TimG
03/27/2003, 07:17 PM
I was going to install it myself with some help from a friend. From what I've read it should only take a few hours to install. I'll post my experience when I'm done. Should be doing the install April 5th if it arrives by then.

01 Dragon
03/27/2003, 08:16 PM
TIMG!!
You know im gonna need some pics of that machine with that lift..
so dont forget WE WANNA SEE, ya know you could sweeten the
pot and take it with those boggers on there too!!!

TimG
03/27/2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by 01 Dragon
TIMG!!
You know im gonna need some pics of that machine with that lift..
so dont forget WE WANNA SEE, ya know you could sweeten the
pot and take it with those boggers on there too!!!
The weekend after I install the lift, I'm going to have my boulder bars welded on. I'll slap on the boggers and take some pics. :)

I just hope it doesn't look too goofy with the lift and my street tires. :)

Doc4h
04/03/2003, 10:30 AM
Hey TimG & SPAZZ, I hope that you both post a review on how the suspention rides in comparison to the stock set up. I myself have been toying with the idea and have yet to make up my mind.

TimG
04/03/2003, 11:36 AM
Sure thing.

TimG
04/11/2003, 12:58 PM
Hey Spazz,
Did you get your kit yet?
Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I imagine that you will get yours before I do since you are in the same state that they are.

Dallas4u
04/11/2003, 01:56 PM
Point is... you don't need to bring it here.

coachreed
04/14/2003, 05:02 PM
What is the largest tire you can get under an otherwise stock VX with this 3" kit? Just curious... I'll do more searching... but any input would be greatly appreciated. TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

IsuZOOM
04/14/2003, 06:27 PM
I found this thread for you: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=483

paultvx
04/14/2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Point is... you don't need to bring it here.

Point is... he doesn't know what the point is.

BumbleV-X
04/14/2003, 11:39 PM
We have a 3" Cal Mini lift. Our tires are 33x12.50x16's dirt gripz. Swordy did some cutting for them to fit. We started out with the 18" rims, downsized the rims to 17" with 32x11.50x17's with Super Swampers, and to the 16" rims with PJ Dirt Gripz that we have now. The 32" ones needed a little trimming on the cladding. The 33's needed just a bit more.

Deby

TimG
04/21/2003, 02:42 PM
Got my lift kit in on Friday. Now, if only I had a truck to put it on. :(
It's going to be close, but I will have everything done before Moab.

Moncha
04/21/2003, 03:24 PM
We have a garage :D

TimG
04/21/2003, 03:33 PM
I was hoping not to cut it quite that close. :)

Moncha
04/21/2003, 03:52 PM
Just in case!! Always have those last minute adjustments.

TimG
05/05/2003, 12:17 PM
I got the lift installed this weekend. A big thank you to Tone, Jennifer, Lisa, Clayton and Shawn for their help and making sure I didn't sober up to much. :)

It took probably 8 hours to install. Keep in mind that I'm a computer geek not a mechanic so anyone else doing this will probably do it much faster that I did. I also did the ball joint flip (http://www.planetisuzu.com/articles.htm/78) and installed the Complete Darlington Stainless Steel Braided Brake line Upgrade (http://www.darlington-offroad.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=534357%7C1134065&PRID=1194461) which increased my install time a bit.

The first thing I did after it was installed was stand around looking at my VX for about 15 minutes. I think it looks really good. :)

It seems to lean more in the corners than a stock VX, so I won't be doing any rallycrossing now. :)

The front end has settled since I first cranked the torsion bars so I'm going to give it another day, then I'm going to crank the torsion bars a little more to raise the front back up to where I want it.

One thing I noticed while doing it was the lack of room to use air tools. Most of the nuts & bolts have to be removed using good old fashioned arm power, or at least it seemed that way when I kept banging my knuckles on things. :)

Maybe it's just me, but when I'm lying on my back underneath a 4000 pound vehicle on jack stands, I tend to worry that the jack stands are going to collapse or the vehicle is going to slip off the jack stands and I'm going to die, but maybe I'm just being paranoid. I also kept it under 55 mph for the first hour because I just assumed that I had failed to tighten some of the nuts sufficiently and parts were going to start falling off, and I'd rather this happen at 55 than 80. I also stopped twice on my trip back from Austin just to make sure that everything was still attached. I never have these concerns when a mechanic does the work. Strange huh?

The kit came with a replacement crossmember, but I didn't see the point of using it. It wouldn't have allowed me to use the skid plate that Tone made for me.

The shocks that come with the kit are really soft compared to the factory shocks, but the springs are much stiffer. The springs are maybe an inch taller than the factory ones. The lift comes from them being so much stiffer. I don't know if that was useful to anyone but I figured I'd throw it out there in case someone cared.

I think eventually I'm going to get some of those Rancho 9000 series shocks that are adjustable from within the cab, but I think I'm going to pay to have them installed. Suspension work makes me nervous.

All in all I'm very happy with the mod and really looking forward to actually putting it to good use in Moab.

Sorry I don't have pics. I was too tired after the install. All I wanted to do was go home, take a shower, and go to bed. I'm sure there will be plenty of pics taken at Moab. For those who have to have pics now, find some of Swordy's VX. Mine should be about the same, but with smaller tires.

Vasha13
05/06/2003, 05:48 AM
Glad to have done my part! It's really hard work to just sit around and drink while someone is installing a lift kit - just ask Clayton. :laugho:

Just kidding - I am sure I was talking about Lisa. ;Db;

VX crazy
05/06/2003, 05:58 AM
Hey, who did the back passenger shock??? AND took on and off the tires??? I am multi talented, I can drink AND work!!

Vasha13
05/06/2003, 08:01 AM
I got you beat! I can drink and hand Tim the wrong tools!

TimG
05/06/2003, 09:17 AM
Hey folks, they are like this in real life too. When they weren't forcing me to guzzle drinks ("Don't swallow, just open your throat and don't think about it"), they were making me laugh.

VX crazy
05/06/2003, 10:38 AM
We are like this because we are like family!! And who in the heck gave you the throat advice!! You know Tim, I did mess up my knee giving you that piggyback ride, but I still did it!

TimG
05/06/2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by VX crazy
We are like this because we are like family!!

The Adams Family? The Munsters? :)

Vasha13
05/06/2003, 11:36 AM
Well, at least he didn't say the Manson Family!

lostemple
05/06/2003, 12:30 PM
Sorry more of you couldn't be with us. VX Crazy was giving free piggy back rides. I can't remember if it was before or after the Tequila. Tim did a great job considering we could only lend a helping hand as opposed to advice. It really did look good afterwards. Tim is going to be one of the tougher VX's at MOAB. If MOAB socials are anything like Friday I envy and pitty you : )

VX crazy
09/03/2009, 07:01 AM
Dang, what happened to the good ole days, with the fun VX meets???

Ldub
09/03/2009, 07:28 AM
Dang, what happened to the good ole days, with the fun VX meets???

They still happen every May...in Moab...Utah...:yes:

Remember, it's this...:dance:...:dan_ban:...:dance:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03217.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03393.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03131.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC02540.JPG

NOT this...:waag:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/0001_toenails_1_.jpg

VX crazy
09/03/2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks Dub! Too funny, almost forgot about the feet from the canyon hike! Sometimes its hard to wait til may, thats why the local stuff is supposed to get me by til than.....lol.......

tom4bren
09/04/2009, 09:08 AM
I'll be in Austin in late November. Maybe we can schedule a mini meet then.

tomdietrying
09/05/2009, 04:34 PM
Cool! When in November are you talking about?
Peace.
Tom

tom4bren
09/08/2009, 01:27 PM
I haven't heard yet.

I'll start a calendar event when I find out when.

Tom