PDA

View Full Version : Honest mechanic-30k service $479.00

drdavidr4u
06/16/2005, 01:48 PM
Hi all,
Well I'm at 30k and just went over to my local mechanic for my 30k.
He is very honest and great with the VX and I recommend him to you.

here is what he did for $479.

brake check n safety check
oil lube filter
rotate tires
alignment front end
replace both radiator hoses and fluid exchange
tranny flush by computerized machine
both front and rear axles fluid exchange
transfer case fluid exchange
He didnt think it necessary to pull out and repack wheel bearings...this was the only thing I'm not sure of

But they are honest and reliable
Ron at Park Ridge Auto Service
201 782 0033

Tone
06/16/2005, 02:23 PM
Decent price but you really should have had the tranny filter changed although a flush is good, I would hope that had happened earlier in it's life too.

Bearings SHOULD have been pulled out, cleaned, inspected, then repacked and reinstalled with the correct preload. Sounds like he didn't want to do the extra few hours labor to do it right.

ScottinMA
06/16/2005, 05:59 PM
Hi,

I did my front wheel bearings and found a good deal of rust. The seals had allowed moisture inside and it wasn't pretty. After MUCH cleaning all were repacked with much grease. I would certainly have that work completed if you intend on keeping your VX for awhile.

Scott

thebear54
06/16/2005, 06:39 PM
Hey there Dr. Dave,

I just had my VX pre-60K service done by a local grease monkey who I've used for years.
1. Tranny fluid and filter Change.
2. repack front bearings.
3. rotate and balance all four tires.
4. front alignment
5. checked and topped transfer case and rear.
6. oil(synthetic) and filter change.

Total for all this: a ridiculous $288.00
Should I hang my head in shame?
John

Tone
06/16/2005, 07:48 PM
Wow, that is crazy! Filter change is a major pain and most will charge almost your total to do it. Not sure why your guy didn't drain and fill the diffs and transfer since that is also called for at 60K - topping off means there was missing fluid (not good) AND any particulate matter (there ALWAYS will be some) is still in there (very bad).

thebear54
06/17/2005, 04:23 AM
Well Tone,
He assured me that the tranfer/pumpkin fluids were still looking good. He topped it off just to make sure they were full(there was nothing on the bill for Diff. Fluids). I am sure most of what he put in went on the floor :p . I have used this guy for about twenty years(with all kinds of cars) and I have never complained about any of his work (or his fees).He even serviced all my vehicles when I had my Limo service. I guess I am lucky to have a real honest mechanic here.
John