PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want a three-legged cat?

Heraclid
06/14/2005, 08:59 PM
Saw a kitten trying to get off the road today and turned around and after some effort managed to capture her. The feisty little thing did a pretty good little scamper and gave me a nip on the hand. Figured that's good - has some fight left and all. Badly busted up left rear leg with some skin gone, tail had no fur or skin left on it at all, some muscle but not all remained. Some blood on the face and mouth also. Called up my wife right away and got her to route me to the nearest vet. The little kitty put up a little bit of a fight when the vet and I tried getting her out of the van too. A quick x-ray revealed to the vet's surprise that there was no rupture of the diaphragm or other internal injuries other than maybe a bit of fluid in the chest. They immediately treated her for shock and we decided to monitor for 24 hrs and see how it went. She stabilized through the afternoon and they sedated her and put the bone back in the leg for now and stitched it up to prevent infection. They said if things continue to go well, they would like to operate Thursday or Friday. The leg is broken in a tricky place and is a compound open fracture. They could try to set it but it will be very complicated and they say it would probably be best to take the tail and leg off. While she was under sedation, the vet had the tip of the tail come off in his hand. They wrapped up the tail and leg and I stopped in after work to check on her. They hadn't expected her to make it but she surprised us and she's doing ok and taking fluids and food. I really hope things get better for her and everything works out ok. They now think it may not have been hit by a car but may have been up under a car when someone started it, and maybe the belts and fan blades did a number on her, but can't be sure what happened. I really want to keep her but have three dogs already, may actually have to take on a fourth as a family friend was just diagnosed with a blood cancer and we may have to adopt her dog (the now-grown pup of the lab-collie mix we have now) down the road. My wife's sister who visits occasionally is allergic to cats, as is my brother. We'll figure something out - right now I just hope she makes it through this alright. Vet said she's at right about 6 weeks old.

Anita
06/14/2005, 09:24 PM
What an absolutely kind and selfless thing you did to save that kitty. With that kind of fight to survive she deserves a good home. :heart:

WormGod
06/15/2005, 07:50 AM
Great job Heraclid. Glad someone gave a damn. I hope the kitten finds a good home. Her chances sound slim since this world is all about "perfection" and a crippled kitten is going to be at the bottom of the ladder on the adpotion list, but, there is always someone out there whe knows it deserves a chance.

Keeping my fingers crossed for her.

Jonnie
06/15/2005, 03:22 PM
Dave's a stand up guy!!!

Jonnie

Joe_Black
06/15/2005, 03:26 PM
Dave's a stand up guy!!!

Jonnie

Second! :yes:

Heraclid
06/15/2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks Anita, but I didn't do anything special. There was no choice because the alternative was just unacceptable. If it had gotten out on the road again (which it briefly did when I tried to catch it), it would likely have been history. If it stayed in the median grass, it would have probably gone unnoticed by anyone else and death would have come slowly. The thought of buzzards fighting for a piece before she was even dead makes me shudder.

Thanks WormGod, and I am actually pretty optimistic about the chances for adoption. If it loses the leg, which is likely, in addition to being very cute, it will also be a very unique kitten that should get a lot of sympathy from people. I grew up with a few cats and I want to keep it... I really, really, REALLY do... but I just can't. I will take responsibility for it until recovery is complete though, get it the shots it needs, etc. I'll find a good home for her.

Surgery is probably going to be tomorrow. Until now she has only been under light sedation and they didn't want to try anything too quickly until its condition was more stable. If the leg goes, I'll hate that it had to be that way, but in reality three-legged dogs and cats get around amazingly well.

Edit: Oops, just noticed Jonnie and Joe's comments after I posted this. Thanks guys, but like I said above, there really was nothing else I could do.

Heraclid
06/17/2005, 08:08 PM
Surgery was today and went fairly well. Tail came off as expected, leg had been a question mark but in the end they decided it was best to amputate it so they did. After work I stopped by the clinic where they operated, but I guess I misunderstood the doc on the phone because the kitten had already been moved back to the original clinic. I had to meet up with our realtor to see a house and there wasn't time to get back over to the right clinic first, so I never got to check in on her today. But you can bet I'll be there bright and early in the morning!

yal^
06/17/2005, 10:20 PM
Out of my four adopted cats, one of them was a rescue like that.
She didn't get injured, but was the size of a chipmunk when I almost run her over. I went back for her and it took a long time to get her out of the bush she was hiding in. She kicked and scratched, bit and scream at me, but I got her safely to the vet. I wasn't planning on keeping her, but there were no takers and my heart just broke when I saw the alternative - shelter.
She's been with me for three years now. She's been the most gracious of my pack. Although shy to the bone, she brings the kind of love that says "thank you" every time she sits on my lap.
Thank you for your good heart, Dave. Thank you for rescuing this kitten. If it happens that you end up keeping her, I am sure she'll give you back all the love and even more.

Heraclid
06/18/2005, 04:04 PM
Ok, got some pics today!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data//500/tripod1.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data//500/tripod2.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data//500/tripod3.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data//500/tripod4.jpg

She's pretty curious and has actually been up and trying to move around. She continues to eat well and is also very handleable. I was worried about that because I don't know if she's been around people much until now and was very defensive when I caught her (which is quite understandable). So far, so good!