PDA

View Full Version : What Trails are you registered for (Registration is open)

Swordy
03/25/2003, 09:55 PM
Registration is now open!!

What trails are you running??

I'm running:

Wed: Moab Rim
Thurs: Gold Bar Rim (me waistgunning :) )
fri: Golden Spike
Sat: Flat Iron Mesa (me tailgunning :) )

I can't waittttt!

Register for your trails before they fill up! (http://zuzoo.org)

Moncha
03/25/2003, 11:22 PM
Can't wait either!

Wed 14th, Kane Creek 3.5

Thu 15th Gold Bar Rim 3.5+

Fri 16th Steel Bender 3.5+

Sat 17th Wipe Out Hill 3.5 Short and sweet with enough time to get back and enjoy everyone be for they all leave.

nocturnalVX
03/26/2003, 12:16 AM
I'm signing up for these trails, but am still thinking of hitchin' a ride on one of the difficult trails to get a taste of the insanity without risking my VX...

Wednesday: Tip Toe Through Hell (3.5), Thursday: Dome Plateau (3), Friday: Seven Mile Rim (3.5), and on Saturday: 3D (3)

Jay Dunford
03/26/2003, 06:58 AM
Wed. Tip toe through Hell 3.5
Thur. Porcupine Rim 3
Fri. Seven Mile Rim 3.5
Sat. Wipe Out Hill 3.5

AnalogVX
03/26/2003, 07:15 AM
Wed. Tip Toe Thru Hell
Thurs. Porcupine Rim
Fri. Sevenmile Run
Sat. 3D

RichD

Anita
03/26/2003, 09:21 AM
Can you guys who have been on these runs before, tell the rest of us what to expect on them so we can make decisions on what to choose? I know the rating scale but what actual obstacles are we gonna summit?

Thanks in advance...

TimG
03/26/2003, 10:16 AM
Here's what I'm looking at, but I want to change one of them to a 4 rated trail. Any suggestions?

Kane Creek 3.5
Gold Bar Rim 3.5+
Steel Bender 3.5+
Fins & Things 3.5

VXMAN
03/26/2003, 11:02 AM
Some of the trail ratings, are listed as a 3.5 (Wipe out hill) but when you go onto this hill, it says it's a rated 4? Are these new updated ratings? Just tring to get a feel for what to pick? Also, on Tip Toe through Hell, it says 3.5, but inside it's rated a 4+ ?

BTW, do we need to get the 'day use pre-pay per person, four days' pass?

OK, my trail runs are:

Wednesday - Kane Creek 3.5
Thursday - Porcupine Rim 3
Friday - Seven Mile Rim 3.5
Saturday - Wipe Out Hill 3.5

Dave...

Tone
03/26/2003, 01:49 PM
BTW, the VX only run IS Tip Toe through Hell so it would be redundant to sign up for that on Wed.

Wednesday Kane Creek 3.5 Randy Burleson
Thursday Dome Plateau 3 Gilbert Escamilla
Friday Seven Mile Rim 3.5 Bruce Anderson

AnalogVX
03/26/2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Tone
BTW, the VX only run IS Tip Toe through Hell so it would be redundant to sign up for that on Wed.

I thought of that too. But I figure if it's a tip toe the first time, there might be something to try again on the second time around.

RichD

KammyB
03/26/2003, 05:31 PM
Hi all...
Its Moab 'Zu Zoo season, so here I am :-)

Originally posted by VXMAN
[B]Some of the trail ratings, are listed as a 3.5 (Wipe out hill) but when you go onto this hill, it says it's a rated 4? Are these new updated ratings?
Ratings are based on the most difficult obstacle that you CANNOT by-pass. Since Wipe-out hill (the 4-rated obstacle) is optional, Wipe-out Hill (the trail) is only a 3.5.
Tip-toe through Hell by-passes the more difficult obstacles of the higher rated (4+) Hell's Revenge trail, thereby lowering its rating.

BTW, do we need to get the 'day use pre-pay per person, four days' pass?

You don't need to pre-pay for the pass if you're willing to have exact change ($5 per person) at the trail head.

Kammy

BumbleV-X
03/26/2003, 11:19 PM
Kammy,
Isn't a couple of the trails rated differently by the way they are run, ie: clockwise or counter-clockwise? I too am new to the driving part (I'm usually in the passenger seat), and want some mellow trails, but not too mellow. Secret Spire (although interesting) was a bit toooo mellow for me. I'm not up to the double wammy (did that as a passenger last year), but still want a little chalenge. What rating would be a mild trail?

Deby

ps ot
Is Gozar going to be there this year?

Locomigo
03/27/2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by BumbleV-X
Isn't a couple of the trails rated differently by the way they are run, ie: clockwise or counter-clockwise?
<snip>
What rating would be a mild trail?

Okay, let me try to help answer this one...
TTBOMK, the trail ratings do not change with direction, which is moot as we only run them forward direction. :p

TO give you a challenge, take in scenery and not do any damage I would reccommend anything in the 3-4 range, leaning more toward the 3+ - 4 range.

Porquipine Rim is an excellent scenery trail with little challenge.
Poison Spier is a perrenial favorite and always offers a little something for everyone.
Seven Mile Rim is always entertaining as well, and should be an EXCELLENT choice for the ladies run this year.
Kane Creek is a good one, and as rumour has it, has gotten more difficult over the past 12-18 months from erosion factors.
Hells Revenge or Tip Toe Through Hell is an excellent Moab traditional trail. TIp Toe bypasses Tip Over Challenge, and the Narrows canyon (two of the roughest obstacles on the trail)
Fins n Things is another classic Moab trail with full AWN slickrock.

HTH. and BTW, not certain when Tia will be riding with me and such, but I typically have an open seat that you are welcome to ride along should you want to. Not that I have a MONSTER or anything, but I rather enjoy the more difficult trails. :D
I am on the following:

Wed - Seven Mile Rim as a passenger/spotter/advisor for the ladies...
Thu - Behind The Rocks, conquered my fears during Crawloween following Tia's accident at ZuZoo IV. (Which BTW, was the year we drove from Chicagoland)
Fri - Tailgunning Golden Spike, one of my favorite trails, long day and the "million dollar mile" will wear a person out! :)
Sat - Leading Wipe Out Hill, should be interesting...

nocturnalVX
03/27/2003, 12:50 AM
The reason I chose "Tip Toe" for Wednesday is that the Copper Ridge (Elephant Hill?) trail is an hour outside Moab, and I'm just not interested in wasting 2 hours getting to & from the trail on more highway driving (after 1500 miles). The only places around here to go off-roading are hours away in other states. My off-roading (except for Zu Zoo V) so far has been 2 trips to the Badlands in Indiana...doing the same trail in Utah 2 days in a row will be MUCH cooler than my daily commute to work, plus it'll be with the other Zoids... can't wait to see everyone again (and those that were not there last year).

Locomigo
03/27/2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by nocturnalVX
The reason I chose "Tip Toe" for Wednesday is that the Copper Ridge (Elephant Hill?) trail is an hour outside Moab, <snip>

Okay, a couple points of order here...

Copper Ridge is NOT Elephant Hill. Elephant Hill was pulled from the schedule this year, and replaced with Copper Ridge. Copper Ridge is just North of town, and proves to be interesting, easy trail, but interesting with the amount of dinosaur fossils in the slick rock and things of that nature... drove through Klondike Bluffs on our exit of Moab at Crawloween in Novemeber.

http://www.4x4now.com/cr.htm

The other thing you should consider, why not run Poison Spider Mesa on Wednesday? Your vehicle is quite capable, and I think you would have a blast on the trail...

http://www.4x4now.com/mtpsm.htm

HTH!

Swordy
03/27/2003, 06:39 AM
Although Moabs trails seem to be rated on the conservative side, I would recommend staying with the 3+ max trails unless you have some type of rocker panel protection and/or large tires. Ratings are not solely based on difficulty, but also their potential for body damage as well. When you get into the 4 rated trails, you might get into situations where a locker would come in handy, and body damage will definitely be a possibility if your not careful. I don't want to scare anyone off, but I don't want anyone to leave the event upset because they scratched or dinged their baby either.

Andy

AnalogVX
03/27/2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Locomigo
Okay, a couple points of order here...

Copper Ridge is NOT Elephant Hill. Elephant Hill was pulled from the schedule this year, and replaced with Copper Ridge.

Ya know, Copper Ridge OR Pioson Spider does look pretty cool. When I was checking out Copper Ridge on the ZuZoo website it comes up as Elephant Hll. I may switch trails for Wednesday. Anybody run either of these one before?

RichD

TimG
03/27/2003, 07:54 AM
I can't seem to find the page that lists the minimum vehicle specifications to run each trail. I remember that last year I wasn't qualified to run a 4, but I don't remember the specs were. Anyone have that link?

Edit: Well not to run each trail, the min specs to run a 4 rated trail.

Locomigo
03/27/2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by AnalogVX
Ya know, Copper Ridge OR Pioson Spider does look pretty cool. When I was checking out Copper Ridge on the ZuZoo website it comes up as Elephant Hll. I may switch trails for Wednesday. Anybody run either of these one before?

RichD

Refresh that page, I made the change last night at Corbin's. Sorry for the confusion, but we had some areas the were overlooked with the changes that were made, I think I got them all now.

Never RAN Copper Ridge, but exiting moab in November from Crawloween, we went down Klondike Bluffs, pretty cool, got to see the dinosaur tracks, and pretty scenic, as is all of Moab. Not very much to challenge you though.

Poison Spider is a great trail a couple spots to give you a challenge, but careful spotting and attentive driving should get you through unscathed, but as we are all aware, this is an assumed risk activity.
We do all we can to prevent damage, but occasionally things happen.

Swordy is right. rocker protection is beneficial for the 4 and up trails, although I am not saying you can not be on the trail without them, just pointing out that your chances for damage increase without body armour.

Locomigo
03/27/2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by TimG

It depends on the trail.

Like Pritchett Canyon for example:
Front AND rear lockers required.
Minimum 35" tires
Low gears and winch HIGHLY reccommended

Golden Spike
Rear Locker and 33" tires required

For most other trails in the 4 range, the following is reccommended:
Rear traction aid, locker preferred, but a LSD will work
Some lift to accomodate slightly larger tires 31-33
Rocker protection

Those are minimum guidelines, and are up to the individual trail leader, and trailmasters whether or not you have:
A) Proper equipment
B) Sufficient experience
C) Trail availability

Hopefully that helps to clear up some of the issues.

BumbleV-X
03/27/2003, 09:01 AM
Before reccomending the Golden Spike trail I would HIGHLY suggest taking the Gold Bar Rim trail a previous day. At the end of GBR trail you can walk (or drive if you're daring) the mile down to the "Golden Crack" and watch the vehicles(on the Golden Spike trail) go over the most known crack in Moab. The drive or walk down there will talk most of the VX's off the thought of taking the trail. Body damage is very possible over the crack. Last year we watched Bruce (great trail guide who stepped on the Gooney birds toes earlier) have to duct tape his bumper back on in his lifted Trooper. One of the trail guides on Golden Spike had to be winched over it. Awesome to watch, but taking the trail is like asking for body damage (IMHO). Yes, I know 2 VX's taking that trail, but those two are on the bit nuts side normally. They are both locked, and lifted with lots of experience. To my knowledge they are the only two to take a VX through the Rubicon trail.
Taking Gold Bar Rim trail the same day those two take the Golden Spike trail might be the thing to do so you can see how they do as far as body damage. Then decide if you want to take the trail.

Deby

AnalogVX
03/27/2003, 09:07 AM
I am very well aware that I assume a cetain risk when taking my VX off road to any extent. Of course I would not want to damage anything just like most anybody. The object is to negotiate obstacles and come out undamaged. The more difficult the trail, the more risk involved. I accept those risks. I am not lifted or locked so I have to chose my trails accordingly and would like the most challenge to push myself and my vehilce to the limits.

I can't wait!!

RichD

AnalogVX
03/27/2003, 09:15 AM
I can't seem to find the page that lists the minimum vehicle specifications to run each trail. I remember that last year I wasn't qualified to run a 4, but I don't remember the specs were. Anyone have that link?

Check this link. http://www.4x4now.com/tr.htm
It doesn't give vehicle specs but good descriptions nonetheless

RichD

Locomigo
03/27/2003, 09:43 AM
Rich, I know you are man, and no harm done... Not trying to be the downer over here. HA! :) I just wanted to say it for the record ya know... Like I say, we typically get people through the trails without any damage. >;-)~

Regarding Spike... There are few to no spots left, and Grandpa Bob, and Swordy should do very well. The VX has a short overhang which is the opposite of what rips bumpers off. :eek:

Fernando was winched out last year after messing around, went through foraward without incident. When he tried to go through in reverse was when he got a bit too tipsy and needed the winch.

Otherwise a good trail to play on, but realize it is LONG.. 3 trails in one as a matter of fact.
Poison Spider Mesa
Golden Spike
Gold Bar Rim (backwards)

Most VXs I know dont run big enough to tackle the Spike yet... but there are getting bigger every year, just like the rest of the 'Zus.

Locomigo
03/27/2003, 09:45 AM
Before reccomending the Golden Spike trail I would HIGHLY suggest taking the Gold Bar Rim trail a previous day. At the end of GBR trail you can walk (or drive if you're daring) the mile down to the "Golden Crack" and watch the vehicles(on the Golden Spike trail) go over the most known crack in Moab. The drive or walk down there will talk most of the VX's off the thought of taking the trail. Deby

Good suggestion, and I think we have it timed to have that happen on both Thursday and Fridays running of those trails.

BTW, it's called the "Million Dollar Mile" starting with the Golden Crack, Golden Wall, Golden Stairs, etc

KammyB
03/27/2003, 10:03 AM
Kammy,
I too am new to the driving part (I'm usually in the passenger seat), and want some mellow trails, but not too mellow. Secret Spire (although interesting) was a bit toooo mellow for me. I'm not up to the double wammy (did that as a passenger last year), but still want a little chalenge. What rating would be a mild trail?
Deby
ps Is Gozar going to be there this year?

Hey Deby-
Secret Spire is only a 2 1/2, hence the excessive mellowness. I think you would love any of the 3 to 3.5+ trails, especially Seven Mile Rim, Poison Spider, and Fins-and-Things.
Gozar is becoming a Geezer, but he's still up for the trip (but its a good thing we have A/C in the cabin).

TimG
03/27/2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Locomigo
It depends on the trail.

Like Pritchett Canyon for example:
Front AND rear lockers required.
Minimum 35" tires
Low gears and winch HIGHLY reccommended

I Agree, and you are going to need the winch to get up that eight foot cliff (The Rock pile or something like that) right in the middle of the trail. I rode in Blue Dodge's vehicle last year when they were running it, and it was very intense, but still a blast. And I admit it. There was one section that I walked instead of riding. :(

For most other trails in the 4 range, the following is reccommended:
Rear traction aid, locker preferred, but a LSD will work
Some lift to accomodate slightly larger tires 31-33
Rocker protection

Those are minimum guidelines, and are up to the individual trail leader, and trailmasters whether or not you have:
A) Proper equipment
B) Sufficient experience
C) Trail availability

Hopefully that helps to clear up some of the issues.

Last year they had something posted to the affect of if you don't have at least 31" tires and a rear locker (LSD acceptable) (Possibly a lift required as well) then you can't run a 4 rated trail without the trail leaders approval.

I want to know if a VX with a 3" lift, rocker protection, and 31" Boggers is good enough equipment to run Poison Spider Mesa without having to get special approval from the trail leader. :)
And if it does require trail leader approval, is there a page with their email addresses?
I'm sure that if they are a trail leader then they are active on the wire.
Anyone know who Jeff Bathke is or what his handle might be.

Locomigo
03/27/2003, 11:33 AM
Last year they had something posted to the affect of if you don't have at least 31" tires and a rear locker (LSD acceptable) (Possibly a lift required as well) then you can't run a 4 rated trail without the trail leaders approval.

I want to know if a VX with a 3" lift, rocker protection, and 31" Boggers is good enough equipment to run Poison Spider Mesa without having to get special approval from the trail leader. :)
And if it does require trail leader approval, is there a page with their email addresses?
I'm sure that if they are a trail leader then they are active on the wire.
Anyone know who Jeff Bathke is or what his handle might be.

See, I couldnt remember the verbiage, but I knew I had the right spirit of the guidelines... :p

To your question, I see ne issue with you on Poison Spider Mesa at all... but since Jeff is the trail leader, check with him.
He goes by Marmot on the wire, he has a 2000 silver 4Runner.

marmot@trailseeker.com

I would imagine he will be fine with you on the trail, but its his trail to lead and he has the final say.

I will see if there is a way to either:
* Hotlink trail staff's names with their email address
OR
* Put up a spreadsheet with that information.

In the meantime, go here for your trail staff sommunication needs.
Staffing overview (http://www.zuzoo.org/trails/staff-zuzoovi.htm)

TimG
03/27/2003, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the info. Your help is much appreciated.

TimG
03/27/2003, 07:24 PM
Just saw this on the wire. Pretty nice.
http://planetbantz.com/register/trail_assignments.php

Zu4two
03/27/2003, 08:36 PM
I signed up for Kane Creek on Weds, Gold Bar on Thurs, and Poison Spider Mesa on Friday.

Heck Tim, you should have no problems on Poison Spider, there are no sand dunes to jump there ;)

Now I'm signed up, I just have to get the time off work!

A man's got to have his priorities straight!

Kirk

TimG
03/27/2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Zu4two
I
Heck Tim, you should have no problems on Poison Spider, there are no sand dunes to jump there ;)

LOL, a note to all those considering getting a picture of your vehicle flying through the air. NEVER jump your vehicle with tires that stick outside the fenders. It does all kinds of nasty things to your fender when you land.
I speak from experience.

Gozar
04/29/2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by KammyB
Gozar is becoming a Geezer, but he's still up for the trip (but its a good thing we have A/C in the cabin).
I can't ;eeky; BELIEVE ;eeky; you said that, Mom.... I'm peein' in you shoes tonight, for sure....
....if I can summon the energy. Sure is comfortable right here on the floor under the A/C vent.

Gozar.

KammyB
05/01/2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Gozar
I can't ;eeky; BELIEVE ;eeky; you said that, Mom.... I'm peein' in you shoes tonight, for sure....
....if I can summon the energy. Sure is comfortable right here on the floor under the A/C vent.

Gozar.

My, aren't you the adept typist with those big paws....
hee hee hee