PDA

View Full Version : For sale rally VX.

dutchie
06/10/2005, 06:57 AM
Found this one,
http://img135.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/8/0/0/0/k7147-img600x450-1118199267p1000449.jpg
http://img135.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/8/0/0/0/k7147-img600x450-1118199314p1000431.jpg
http://img135.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/8/0/0/0/k7147-img600x450-1118199356p1000435.jpg
113,700km
5 speed manual transmission
3500cc engine as opposed to 3200 for the Jap.VX
6 point roll cage
under guard and mud guard
sparco seat
nardi steering wheel
This one is built by Tonbo house.
price:800.000yen
Dollars 7600(depends on the exchange rate)
Shipping=?
Handling fee=? :rolleyes:

mbeach
06/10/2005, 07:33 AM
I can't buy it (I looked into importing an R33 Skyline some time ago and the process was awful), but there's a few things that I'd like to know about the truck.

1. What kind of 5 speed tranny?
2. What kind of wheels are those?
3. Where'd they get that hood?
4. What kind of suspension work has been done?

Does anyone at Tonbo House speak english? I'd love to ask them the specifics of this vehicle...

Joe_Black
06/10/2005, 07:50 AM
Importation is actually pretty easy if you import as a race car, just a couple short forms. It's the shipping that kills the deal. So if you know someone with an empty container in Japan...

mbeach
06/10/2005, 07:53 AM
...So if you know someone with an empty container in Japan...

Actually, I kinda do. But I'm moving and I have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

I did research some old vmag posts about a similar subject, so most of my questions have been answered. I know the Tonbo VXs have a dual shock set-up on them, but have not seen any pictures -very interesting eh Joe Black? (btw, thanks for your excellent tranny service writeup, I put it to use yesterday).

The hood is FRP, from Tonbo House, and I'm sure that there's a bunch of them just laying around in some warehouse.

Still dunno about the transmission/transfer case though.

Ldub
06/10/2005, 08:04 AM
Right hand drive, gobs of power, excellent suspension & handling...talk about the ultimate "going postal" vehicle, Cliffy would love this. :p

thedutchguy
06/10/2005, 10:16 AM
Halo serge,
Kan er nog iets aan de prijs gedaan worden?
(for all you native americans :this is dutch for getting the price down) :p

transio
06/10/2005, 10:31 AM
Shipping shouldn't cost more than a few thousand dollars. Would be cheaper to ship that in than to build up a rally VX from scratch! :)

Triathlete
06/10/2005, 10:39 AM
I'd like to get that roll cage! Not that I plan on spending any time on the lid but its nice insurance just in case.
At that exchange rate and shipping that would be a race ready VX for under 10 grand. Sounds like a pretty good deal. I'm sure if you talked to them they have conections and could probably get you an even better deal on the shipping as a "package deal".

SPAZZ
06/10/2005, 01:39 PM
first off, I worn anyone that you will need a roll cage if you ever do roll in the VX(even a soft roll such as mine was). The VX could not take a hard roll and you would be the egg or eggs if you had passengers.

second, that hood on this Rally VX looks just like the stock hood just with the hood insert removed. If anyone wanted to see for yourselves, just remove your hood insert(really easy with like a 10 or 12 mm wrench, I belive).

After being in the MArines for 8 years and living in Mainland Japan, Okinawa, Thailand, Australia, and Kuwait and having many MArines shipping cars...I know it would be way easier to ship (import/Export) this Rally VX as a race car verses as a POV in which many requirements such as more reinforcement is required in the frame and structure, proper lighting, and a R/L conversion..etc....

mbeach
06/10/2005, 02:26 PM
These images were found via Yahoo! Japan search, look closely at the front and rear suspension of this '98 Paris-Dakar vehicross. Pretty slick and very doable:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/dualfront.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/dualfront.jpg)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/dual_rear.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/dual_rear.jpg)

Joe_Black
06/10/2005, 05:55 PM
I got an actual shipping quote on the last Tonbo rally VX for sale (which I think this is the same one) and it was quite exorbitant. Otherwise I would've been campaigning it this season. I can't find the email with the quote, but if y'all are interested I can get another Monday. It would be to a port either in CA or WA.

You can generally get a containerized vehicle from the UK to an Eastern US port for less than $2000, but this was like around $5000 or more as I recall.

transio
06/10/2005, 11:01 PM
Why container it? Go RORO (roll on / roll off) and you'll save a bundle.

Joe_Black
06/11/2005, 07:10 AM
Why container it? Go RORO (roll on / roll off) and you'll save a bundle.

You can save a bundle that way, but only when it's available. Actually, the least expensive is if you can find a partial container. In that situation someone has to get their goods shipped by a certain time and they'll fill up an incomplete load for just about anything to help defray the cost.

But back to RORO... Anymore it's very hard to find as the ship is specialized for that type of cargo and the liability is much greater. Container ships are the most common and preferred, so are far easier to use. Plus, a shipper offering RORO may not be convenient to the port nearest the vehicle which will then add additional handling and shipping charges. When looking at overseas vehicles it's always best to first get an idea of the nearest ports and what shippers and export agents are located there. That way you can make the best deal and get your paperwork and fees lined up before the vehicle arrives for loading.

mbeach
06/11/2005, 08:37 AM
Joe,
About the other rally VX that you were interested in, was it a manual tranny?
MUA-5 perhaps?

transio
06/11/2005, 09:52 AM
Call www.seariders.com - they will price you RORO from Tokyo to many USA ports. It's worth checking out! :)

Joe_Black
06/11/2005, 03:22 PM
Joe,
About the other rally VX that you were interested in, was it a manual tranny?
MUA-5 perhaps?
It was the exact same VX that's currently offered. Maybe the previous deal fell through or the new owner is selling. But I have heard that the rally versions used the current Trooper 5-speed and the TOD had a selector switch wired in to choose pre-set front/rear ratios in addition to auto.

Thanks for the Seariders link Transio! I've put in a request to them for RORO and container shipping with the VX info based on Nagoya as the originating port (where the VX was previously). I'll post what I find out!

mbeach
06/12/2005, 12:14 AM
But I have heard that the rally versions used the current Trooper 5-speed and the TOD had a selector switch wired in to choose pre-set front/rear ratios in addition to auto.

That would be an awesome setup. I've been researching the manual swap as part of my ongoing quest for legal and reliable power (without gaining weight). I had assumed that the 5mt Troopers used a MUA/MSG-5 with an integrated T-case and the TOD was not an option.

Please buy this one if you can get it here -I'd love to see you reverse engineer the suspension and drivetrain for the rest of us.

Joe_Black
06/12/2005, 06:40 AM
Please buy this one if you can get it here -I'd love to see you reverse engineer the suspension and drivetrain for the rest of us.
LOL! I tried the first time it was for sale and the shipping killed the deal. Now it's not a good time, as much as I'd love to have it. After reviewing video of the last rallycross with my VX I decided to switch back to the XR4Ti and purchased two additional cars for rally. As much fun as the VX is, I push it too hard and would likely roll it if I were to continue campaigning it.

However, in my much delayed mod-project list is a relatively simple conversion to our suspension to use more common eye-to-eye shocks like rally Bilstein and Fox units. Doing the dual-shock setup as pictured on the rally VX is even simpler as all they've done is mount two OEM top brackets in there and the matching receivers at the wheel. You've just got to be sure the geometry is right for the anticipated travel before welding everything up, ideally using a template for accuracy and repeat installation.

mbeach
06/12/2005, 07:57 AM
The eye-to-eye conversion is no problem, and I would most likely do it even with the dual shock configuration. For the sake of more shock options if anything else.

I found it interesting that all of the race versions that I saw retained the torsion bar front end. The Geolandar version had rear coilovers, but nothing too exotic up front.

How is your sway bar project working out anyways?

Jonnie
06/13/2005, 03:29 PM
It was the exact same VX that's currently offered. Maybe the previous deal fell through or the new owner is selling. But I have heard that the rally versions used the current Trooper 5-speed and the TOD had a selector switch wired in to choose pre-set front/rear ratios in addition to auto.

Thanks for the Seariders link Transio! I've put in a request to them for RORO and container shipping with the VX info based on Nagoya as the originating port (where the VX was previously). I'll post what I find out!

Gawd, I want a 5 speeed. :)

Jonnie

transio
06/13/2005, 09:19 PM
Gawd, I want a 5 speeed.I second that. Or even a 6 speed! :)

Joe_Black
06/14/2005, 05:58 AM
How is your sway bar project working out anyways?
That one moved to the end of the line as it represented the least improvement for the most money. What really clinched that opinion was reviewing photos and video from the rallysprint Heraclid and I competed in last year. I pushed the VX harder than I ever had, speeds over 80MPH, and over half of the course was asphalt including a GP-style flat course. The VX's exhibited very little body roll and stayed very plated, opting to slide rather than hop when losing traction to momentum. Stiffer sway-bars would've produced more hop and possibly roll-over.

Photos can be found on my site here: http://www.rallyrebels.com/Media/ERS100904.asp

dutchie
06/14/2005, 08:07 AM
If one of you guys is really interested, I can get a quote for shipping this baby to the US.
I have to know which port it's supposed to arrive, the weight and overal dimensions.
The car is for sale on Yahoo auction, which means as much that someone has to bid, pick up the car and put it on the boat.
I'd love seeing someone actually racing this thing!

MachineVX
06/14/2005, 09:38 AM
I'd love that 5 spd, too. I wonder if there's a way to retrofit one to the VX!

Joe_Black
06/14/2005, 12:43 PM
I'd love that 5 spd, too. I wonder if there's a way to retrofit one to the VX!
You bet! The VX has the points to mount the clutch pedal and associated hardware, so just find a late-model 5-speed Trooper and raid the parts. The big issue is a sensor controller to replace the feed from the 4L30E, but that's not major and has been done to some degree by others who have hacked the TOD.

Joe_Black
06/14/2005, 12:46 PM
I'd love seeing someone actually racing this thing!
The only issue is it would have to be imported as a race car, which means after 3 - 5 years (depending if you pay duty) it has to be either exported or destroyed. There is a way around this, but it involves getting a salvage title from a donor VX and perhaps the donor as well depending on how good your relationship is with the local scrapper. So that caveat is something to consider for those contemplating import.

dutchie
06/15/2005, 08:34 AM
The only issue is it would have to be imported as a race car, Why it's streetlegal, so why not import it as a "normal" car...or are there problems involved with the fact that it's a righty?

Joe_Black
06/15/2005, 11:02 AM
US vehicle importation is extremely restrictive. It would have to be fully converted before shipping to comply with current emissions and safety requirements in addition to the left-hand drive change. As a race vehicle it's just a one-page form and a couple stamps.

Bulldoggie
06/15/2005, 08:17 PM
Why it's streetlegal, so why not import it as a "normal" car...or are there problems involved with the fact that it's a righty?
When I was overseas, (Japan) We saw alot of cute cars /trucks we thought would be fun to ship home. The right hand drive is a problem, but the headlights on a RH drive point to the wrong side of the road. Safetyglass not up to U.S. standards, different emission standards, and just plain U.S. protectionism for products made is U.S.A. (including all lamps).....
It was too much to believe!
I still remember this cute little Suzuki, Two-Stroke, 6-speed that was faster and SMALLER than the old Honda 6oo's (air cooled, Honda's very first import)

transio
06/15/2005, 09:20 PM
you can import just about anything if you separate body from drivetrain and put it back together. registered as a kit car.

Joe_Black
06/16/2005, 06:44 AM
you can import just about anything if you separate body from drivetrain and put it back together. registered as a kit car.

There is that, but it has to be done on the originating end which makes it very cost prohibitive. And I suspect the donor title might be a bit pricey as the VX was sold in the US. It'd cost you a lot less to buy a used VX here and build it up as the same rally car. Importing as a race vehicle would be the most inexpensive way to get it as long as the shipping is reasonable.

I still haven't received a quote from Seariders yet. I've filled out their online contact form, emailed their sales address and left a phone message. They don't seem too interested. :mad:

transio
06/16/2005, 08:33 AM
When I suggested the kit car route, I was referrihg to those other cute Japanese cars that Bulldog mentioned. Obviously you would want to import the VX as a track-only car, because it's not a really streetable vehicle.

transio
06/16/2005, 08:35 AM
Joe, Did you contact the Ft. Lauderdale office or St. Louis? I've only dealt with Ft. Lauderdale, and they've been quick about things. Not sure about the other office.

Joe_Black
06/17/2005, 07:46 AM
Fortunately I just got an email (and apology) from Seariders. I provided them with additional info for a quote and I'll post what they provide as soon as I have it.

Joe_Black
06/17/2005, 02:26 PM
Here's an update: Currently going back-n-forth with Seariders on a quote as it appears they're trying to package import brokerage in with the deal. We'll see how that goes as they're telling me the import info I have isn't correct. So I've asked them to educate me and I'll pass along whatever I learn for future reference.

Here's where I've gotten the best info to date on importing vehicles to the US: NHSTA Vehicle Importation Rules. (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/)