PDA

View Full Version : Dynamat alternative

SoTxVx
03/25/2003, 07:24 PM
Fellow VXers,

I've seen the pictures and read the results from those that have dynamatted their interiors. I would like to reduce the noise getting in the VX using a lower cost alternatives if possible. Foam was brought up by someone as an alternative. I can get my hands on Poly Urathane and Poly Ethylene foam in varying thicknesses and densities for next to nothing. Anyone have any feedback on the foam option? What densities and thicknesses were used? Did it work?

Thanks,

John

WyrreJ
03/25/2003, 08:28 PM
When dampening sound there is rarely a substitute for mass. Thus the denser the material the better it will dampen noise.

You might want to look at some of the other dynamat "knock offs" - brown bread was mentioned on this or the other forum as being particularly good, I found it at this website along with some other less dense materials:

http://www.b-quiet.com/

Also, people have reported getting some good deals on dynamat on ebay. Most likely you would be looking for dynamat extreme, not the regular stuff.

Hotsauce
03/26/2003, 02:30 AM
I believe the foam mentioned was the expanding type. The idea is that by filling some of the double waled areas that this foam would add rigidity to the panel. As an example, there is some space behind the panel that mounts the spare tire.

John C.