PDA

View Full Version : The Rubicon

TEN36VX
06/03/2005, 01:48 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anybody here done the Rubicon Trail? Whether in a VX or not... I looked but couldnt find any talk about it.

My friends want to go do it, but I know my stock VX wont pull off the harder parts. Just curious if there are ways around the tough stuff. thanks.

johnnyapollo
06/03/2005, 02:12 PM
I believe Grandpa Bob made that trip and has the title of first VX to make the trail. There was a lot of talk about it on the old ClubVMag board I think.

-- John

SPAZZ
06/03/2005, 06:38 PM
Swordy and Gpa Bob have done it. Bob has finished with no problems only to go about 10 yards past finish line and front cv's fell apart...but, that was with a front locker.

Raque Thomas
06/04/2005, 08:01 AM
I did the Rubicon about 10 yrs ago in a new box stock Jeep on a Chrysler factory trip. I would think if the Jeep could do it stock, then a VX could do it. There would definitely be damage to the bottom of the cladding all the way around and trail pinstripes. A VERY fun trip!

Triathlete
06/04/2005, 09:23 PM
While I was at ZuZoo this year I spoke to GB and he told me a bit about his Rubicon trip. For one he said it beat HIM to death. He said it is as tough on the driver as it was on the VX. Bob said he had a lot of damage to his cladding...parts of it torn up pretty badly. He said a VERY GOOD spotter is mandatory to minimize damage...and even then it won't prevent it. Unless you can live with the carnage probably better to ride shot gun with someone else. I'm sure Andy can throw in some more words of wisdom! Don't let this deter you...just be prepared for what may be!

Swordy
06/05/2005, 07:06 PM
Well, I made it through without any scrapes, but it might have been just luck. If you are a stock rig, I would have to advise you not to do it. You at least need a lift kit, slider bars, a transfer case skidplate, and possibly an air locker, else you will be asking for body damage. Unless your friends drive isuzu's as well, and don't mind covering for you, bring an extra tie-rod assy and front CV half shaft. as those will be your weak points. Rubicon is not a beginners trail. It does seem to be a little over rated, but its definitely do-able. You could probably make it through in a stock Vx, BUT what it might look like when you come back out is another story. Lifts, sliders and skidplates are fairly cheap. and will afford you much of the protection you will need. The rest will be up to your skill. Since you live in the area, drive over to the the gatekeeper obsticle(by Loon lake),walk through that short section, and watch one or two guys do it. If you feel comfortable navigating that narrow corridor of rocks, then you probably won't have too much problem with the rest of the trail. You will definitely see why you need skids and sliders. I would also highly recommend removing one endlink from each sway bar as it greatly improves your articulation and control when off-road.
The trail is beautiful. Some of Cali's best scenery in my opinion. (not to mention the topless women we saw cruising jeeps, or skinnydipping at buck Island Lake ) ;eeky; ;eeky;
Oh heck, maybe a little body damage would be worth it. I mean uhm,, for the wildlifes sake....

Todd Adams
06/05/2005, 08:55 PM
Take this as just my opinion. the Rubicon is a very demanding trail. this due to not only its rating but the length. In the past years it has been so popular that it has been overused. Make sure you understand that you have to pack out what you pack in and that includes taking a porta potty with you.
I had considered taking my VX on the trail but have thought better of it knowing I would have a much better time driving a more capable rig and not have to work every obstacle or suffer the body damage. Having to work at every hard spot wears me down to the point I don't have fun and the Rubicon is one tough spot after another.
If you really want to take your VX go later in the season after the trail gets paved by the jamborees. Early on it is much tougher especially the water crossings that can be very deep. The down side is it gets very dusty later in the year.
The Rubicon is the icon of 4-wheeling and has to be done at last once. To many of us there is Moab and the Rubicon and nothing else seems to matter.
Todd
http://groups.msn.com/AdamsFamilyCrawlers/homepage

Numba1goalie
06/17/2005, 12:22 AM
I was veiwing some pictures on www.pirate4x4.com with them at the Rubicon. Also, if you type is "Rubicon Trail" in Yahoo Search you can see some enthusist sites with lots of pictures. be carful.