PDA

View Full Version : 285/60/18 Tires Screw up ABS???

slfokc
06/01/2005, 08:41 PM
Hey people, after reading all your messages and viewing your photos on 285/60/18 tires I decided I had to do the same - they look great!
My dealer told me that I couldn't get this size because it would screw up my ABS breaking system and advised me NOT to do it. Also, he said that I would have to trim the inside PLUS I would have to get new rims because I would have trouble if I used the factory 18" rims that came with me VX.
What the heck???? Could anyone help me out and tell me their experiences before I chunk down $800 for tires I can't use.
Thanks in advance!

-Steve

tomdietrying
06/01/2005, 09:17 PM
Yes, they will fit. THERE IS NO TRIMMING INVOLVED. I just bought some Yokohama AVT 285/60/18 last month. I mounted them on the stock rims. No problem.

My ABS is fine. No problems.

NITTOS 285/60/18 look really cool on the VX too. They are just a hair bigger than the Yokohamas. It does require just a little bit of trimming.

Peace.
Tom
p.s.
If you don't believe me, the tire place will fit one just to make sure. Make sure to try your practice fit on the front.

Tone
06/01/2005, 09:22 PM
There will be a slight change to the system but should not be a huge problem. I offer a product called the Recalibrator from AutoTrans that corrects the signal sent to the speedo and ABS computer for accurate displays and function - $149. Stopping can still be compromised due the addtional weight of the tire.

285 is the max width you would want to put on a 7" wide rim and is actually wider than most tire manufacturers advise. You will get more wear down the center of the tire but it is worth it IMHO as the tire looks SOOO much better on the VX.

Veritech Jedi
06/02/2005, 12:21 AM
Hey Tone,

I took a look at your recalibrator....do you have to splice it into the VX's wiring harness? How many wires? Do you know where you would splice it in at? Have you personally used it and what do you think about it? I am about to get some new tires and the speedometer being off was a turn off to the larger size tires( mostly in case family or friends were driving it and forgot the correction).

Raque Thomas
06/02/2005, 05:18 AM
If you go with 285/55's instead of 60's, you'll have a tire that is very close to the same diameter as the original and will only affect your speedo by about 2.5%, vs about 6% for the 60's. I've been running 285/55's for several months and have had no problems with the ABS, nor do I recall any of the many people running larger tires reporting such problems. Just my $.02

SPAZZ
06/02/2005, 07:05 PM
ABS is over rated, just disconnect that crap like I did. Reacts better offroad and on road when road gets real bumpy and you try to stop and it won't cause ABS. 305 70 17 Inch Goodyear Wrangler MTR's on KMC Venom rims...my ABS light stayed on

Tone
06/03/2005, 08:03 AM
Tire height changes will impact ABS and all changes will be in the systems response time - I can tell the difference with tire size changes of a 1/2" but not everyone will. The more the speedo is off, the greater the impact on ABS and shifting. Attached are the VX specific install instructions for this product and I can usually ship within a week of receiving the order.

WormGod
06/14/2005, 07:20 AM
Been on 285/60/18's for about 3 years now. Not a problem. As stated above, you shouldnt have to trim any with a stock rim on this meat. I had to trim a tiny bit on teh front lower cladding for turning while in reverse, but it was no more than 1/2". A wider rim will most likely call for more trim work.

Braking doesnt "appear" to be affected at all.

I have also been running Tone's Autotrans module since I bought the VX. I recently took it off due to calibration problems I have been having with it, and the only noticable change appears to be the shift timing.
In all, with a larger tire, just take your time getting used to it. Dont get all cocky and gung-ho at first and once you get the feel, you will be fine. Your ride might be a little bit rougher with more road coverage, but if you are like me.... that's more than welcome. ;)