PDA

View Full Version : DFW, TX Meet - Rallycross

Jay Dunford
03/25/2003, 03:34 PM
The first DFW RX of the year will be held 13th April at the Motorsports Ranch south of Ft. Worth. Lets plan on a VX meet there even if you don't want to run the RX (don't know why you wouldn't though ; ) )

The RX will start around 11:00 am and is usually over by 3 or 4 depending on number of entries. We can then go to dinner if everyone is not too tired from the day's excitement.

Link to the Motorsports Ranch with directions: http://www.motorsportranch.com/

Jay

vx69
03/25/2003, 08:20 PM
Hey Jay. You I will deffinately be there!

Tone
03/25/2003, 08:55 PM
I’ll plan on being there.

RobVX
03/25/2003, 11:15 PM
Hey Jay:

Motorsport Ranch is a road race track/course, right? Not having had the pleasure of being involved in a prior VX rallycross, what is involved? Do we have to have special equipment (helmets) or have special licenses, or comply with their laundry list of regulations (like giving them a pint of blood or anything)?;eekr;

Count me in, whatever it is! Rob A.

Vasha13
03/26/2003, 06:03 AM
I'm in either way but I probably should know exactly what you do at a Rallycross before I say I will drive it. ;Dp;

VX crazy
03/26/2003, 06:06 AM
Sounds fun, as long as I don't have to watch out for other vehicles in the way!!! I am there!

Jay Dunford
03/26/2003, 06:32 AM
A Rallycross is basically a timed single car race through a course set up in a dirt/grass field. There are usually at least 4 separate runs for each car entered and the lowest accumulated time for all runs wins.

More info here: http://www.texasscca.org/rallyx.html

No special equipment needed except a closed top vehicle (no rag tops) and an approved helmet. There will be loaner helmets provided at the event. Each car will be inspected prior to race for working seatbelts and other safety items.

Vasha13
03/26/2003, 09:29 AM
So just a grassy field, a few bumps, and a race? No water crossings or rock crawling? This might be my kind of event!

TimG
03/26/2003, 10:25 AM
I'll put my money on VX Crazy. I hear she has a lead (Pb) foot.

I won't be able to attend this one.

RobVX
03/26/2003, 10:40 AM
Jay:
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a blast!

Now what kind of handicapping do the non-supercharged VX'ers get!!!!!:p Rob

Cptnmorgan
03/26/2003, 10:53 AM
I'll be there with bells on. Going to miss the NASCAR race, but what the heck I'd rather be racing myself.

BTW "I dont need no stinking supercharger!!!!!"

Dont freak out yall when you see my VX. I have "for sale" stickers on it. ;eekr; But I'm in no hurry to get rid of it and the price is set high!!! Waiting for that one person to come along and pay the price for a "limited production concept vehicle".

VX crazy
03/26/2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks Tim, but I do have those dang little tires, but I guess they are a good thing for this maybe?? My head is tough enough, I still have to wear a helmet?? It will mess up my hair!

lostemple
03/27/2003, 05:35 AM
I am there! Hey Tone what happened to our out of town VX visitor get together?

VX crazy
03/27/2003, 06:27 AM
Lostemple, your still breathing??? I can't believe your going to go!! What about Moab??

lostemple
03/28/2003, 06:22 AM
Tone is a good man and tries to keep me involved. While I will be at the Dallas shindig, I fear MOAB is out of reach. I got divorced February 17 2002. I told my HR department to make the necessary changes to my health insurance, 401K and the IRS. Well they did except to the IRS. I did my taxes and it turns out they were deducting Married TAX as opposed to Single TAX. So now I owe the IRS $1,500.00. Exactly what I had saved up for MOAB : ( Unless a windfall makes it my way, I can not afford to go to MOAB this year. It really depresses me.

Tone
03/30/2003, 08:48 PM
Lost - we had the meeting when he came into town the week of March 22nd and then we went to the Rodeo - you missed about 5 other VXes, 3 even came up from Houston.

Jay Dunford
03/31/2003, 06:02 AM
Here are the details for the Season Three Round One April 13th
RallyCross at MSR.

Registration starts at 10:00am

Tech starts at 10:45am

Drivers meeting at 11:50am

First car out at 12:00pm

Tone
04/06/2003, 09:47 AM
I’m planning on leaving my house in Austin around 7am Sunday to drive up - if anyone else wants to caravan with, please let me know. I’ll prob head out 734 to 1431 and then over to 35. Jay, got any good directions for us coming up 35?

RobVX
04/06/2003, 08:15 PM
Doc pulled up beside me on I-30, late Saturday a.m. We pulled over to chat. He's moved from over by my house in Ft. Worth to Hurst, Texas...no wonder I haven't seen him on the road or on the Forum lately. He'll by at the RallyCross Sunday; although he's not sure he is gonna run (depends on cost).

After getting back on I-30, a proton yellow VX passed heading the other direction (heading west). Is this anyone from the Forum????? Rob A.

Jay Dunford
04/07/2003, 08:31 AM
here is the flyer link:

http://www.rallytexas.org/april_rallycross.pdf

I am hearing rumors that this course will be longer than previous events which should let us get a little more speed on course. Might even be a small "yump" on course.

The entrance to the field for the event is actually off of Hwy 171 in Cresson rather than the main entrance of MSR.

Those coming up from Austin could take Hwy 67 off of I-35W to Cleburne and then Hwy 171 on up to Cresson. The field will be on the left just as you are entering Cresson.

Tone
04/09/2003, 02:21 PM
$45 to run if you are not an SCCA member - hopefully it will be a good, fast course.

Cptnmorgan
04/11/2003, 08:44 AM
For those of you that may need it, I will provide my cell phone number to you in case you get lost. Just e-mail me before 5:00 tonight and I will send my number back to you. ccaughron@dunaway-assoc.com

See you all there!!!
Just hope I can beat the now supercharged!!!!!

Tone
04/13/2003, 07:26 PM
GREAT turnout - 7 or was it 9 VXes and a couple of new faces! Good to see the Cap’t was still driving well and I think some of the Austin drivers really enjoyed this faster RX thing.

I shot some video but will need a bit more time to render it small enough to post - 250MB for a minute run is a little big but I will dump those to CD for the drivers. Thanks again to all who showed.

Next Texas meet in Houston on Sat, April 26th - come on down.

Cptnmorgan
04/14/2003, 08:19 AM
THe overall count I believe was TEN!!! With the last Kaiser showing up from Houston around 12:00. Glad to see all of you out of towners up here in the DFW metroplex. Guess I'm going to have to get off my butt and join you all down south. It won't be the next one (nose surgery), but soon I promise you all soon!!!!

Thanks again to all who turned up. I had a great time, and ended up winning my class at the RX, and taking home the Championship in the T4S class from last years RX events!!!!

RobVX
04/14/2003, 11:23 AM
Capt'

It was good to finally meet you yesterday at the RX. Congratulations on the winning time in the class...what was it?
I think 1:09 was the best time when I left...just curious.

I had a great time, man that is fun. I hope we all get together and do it again sometime. Rob A.

Cptnmorgan
04/14/2003, 01:54 PM
I squeaked the fastest time of the T4S class on my last run of 1.07. My times for the four runs were 1.12, 1.10, 1.08, 1.07. Jason (VX69) was right behind me with runs of 1.14,1.11, 1.09, 1.08 (I believe). The fastest time of the day I believe was the WRX at a 1.04 with on cone, and the fastest clean run was a 1.06. Not positive on those numbers, but very very close!!

Of course Jay weenied out on us and didn't run all day!!! Something about the cones were big and scary!!!!

Jay Dunford
04/14/2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Cptnmorgan
Of course Jay weenied out on us and didn't run all day!!! Something about the cones were big and scary!!!!

Such a funny guy!! Actually since Tone didn't run because of his back I didn't see any real competition to bother with. ;)

I did find the thump this evening, it was one of the new bushings that wasn't tight on the frame - guess I rushed through putting it on. Just glad it wasn't anything serious.

I highly reccommend this mod for anyone who has 30K plus miles or drive their VX hard. I have a very noticable lack of road feedback in the steerring wheel and floorboard now, and it may even have helped a little stiffening the swaybars up. Drives almost like it did new again! Thanks for the find Scott.

Update: since I didn't run I had time to take a few pics.

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33be53b84d9

lostemple
04/14/2003, 08:57 PM
I had a great time as well. While I read these forums as well as Vmag daily, it was great to see the faces associated with the tag names. The day was beautiful and I look like a bright red lobster. It was so worth the trip. The peer presure was just what I needed to pay for two runs. It was a blast and I will remember to bring sunscreen next time. And food, drink, women, wine and song. Woops got a little carried away there ; ) I hope everyone had a safe drive home and I look forward to the next meet I can attend. A special thanks goes out to Tone, Lisa and Jennifer for making the trip that much more fun and special.

Peace out!

vx69
04/14/2003, 09:56 PM
They rallycross was great! Thanks every one for coming here are some of the pics i took.

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33bdf2684d9

tomdietrying
04/15/2003, 05:23 AM
I had a great time meeting everyone. It's good to see what the legend TONE actually looks like.

Let's see, we had 10 VXs there -
DFW - 4 VXs
Austin - 4 VXs
Houston - 2 VXs
That's a great turn out! The challenge is out there. With the exception of the Moab national get together, is there another state that can beat 10 VXs together?

TimG
04/15/2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by tomdietrying
With the exception of the Moab national get together, is there another state that can beat 10 VXs together?
I'm pretty sure that Anita is still the Queen with 19 VXs at one of the California gatherings.

Vasha13
04/15/2003, 04:51 PM
Awww shucks Lostemple... :rotate:

So which was more challenging - the rally cross or the IH35 race to get there? LOL

Had a great time - can't wait to go to the next one!

VX crazy
04/15/2003, 05:10 PM
I thought I 35 was the rally cross!! Its all good...

Jay Dunford
04/21/2003, 05:52 AM
The results can be found here:

http://www.rallytexas.org/2003_rallycross/rallycross.html

Congrats to Corey, 1st in class and 3rd overall!