PDA

View Full Version : Tone's hitch installed!

billh23
05/31/2005, 11:22 AM
I finally got around to installing the hitch I bought from Tone a while ago. It is on and looks good, but let's just say I am glad it is done! Getting the cladding off was a bear, especially those hidden torx screws on the sides holding the rar bumper cover on. I used a 1/2" drill bit to make the holes, and believe me, buy really really good bits, or at least buy about a half dozen cheaper ones. I bent two from heat, dulled all of them, and broke one. Cutting the cladding was no problem once I figured out what I was doing. I'm happy with it! Can't wait to start hauling the boat now.

One question -- I installed the trailer light kit that Tone sells and hooked it up according to the directions. All my taillights work on the car afterwards, but what happens now is weird. When I am in park and put on my left or right signal, I get a really loud click that seems to be coming from the shift lever knob button? If I press the button or hold it tight, I can get it to sort of stop, but I can definitely feel it coming from there. It's loud. If I put the car in any gear including neutral or reverse and then use the signals, it doesn't do it. The signals work even in park when it is clicking loudly. Any suggestions??

I'll post pictures of the final project. Again, I think the hitch looks really good, actually like factory.

Raque Thomas
05/31/2005, 07:38 PM
I used a 1/2" drill bit to make the holes, and believe me, buy really really good bits, or at least buy about a half dozen cheaper ones. I bent two from heat, dulled all of them, and broke one.

The secret to drilling a hole that large is to go against your instincts - the drill bit needs to turn slowly. I burned through my first one, 'cause I thought the fastest speed on the drill would help me cut through it. When I bought the second bit, the guy at the hardware store told me to go as slow as possible on the variable speed drill and pour oil over it. (now I tell you! :mad: )

Can't offer any suggestions on the clicking noise - that's a strange one!!

billh23
05/31/2005, 08:24 PM
You know, that makes sense. I guess natural instinct is to get through it as fast as you can! It might have saved a few drill bits and my arms had I gone slower :-)

kpaske
05/31/2005, 08:59 PM
Wow, Raque, that's good info. I'm planning to install one of these myself before I tow my other vehicle down to California, but I was dreading the install because of the drilling. I always seem to burn through bits and it takes forever, but I'll try your method next time.

I must admit, this forum has to be one of the best I've ever been involved with. My other vehicle is an '84 Toyota Supra, and I've been looking for a forum as helpful as this one to help me fix up my Toyota, and it's just not the same. Thanks again, Raque.

transio
05/31/2005, 09:17 PM
might be easier just to weld the damn thing on? :)

tom4bren
06/13/2007, 09:59 AM
A buddy of mine has a full machine shop in his garage and he taught me years ago that low drill speed with a lot of pressure cuts better and saves drill bits. The oil helps to keep the heat down. Also remember, if the bit starts singing, you are doing it wrong (and the bit is dull so it's too late).

Of course, drilling through wood is just the opposite - high drill speed and low pressure to reduce splintering and cracking (not apropo in this forum but nice to know).