PDA

View Full Version : Hood release problem

dkmiller68
05/25/2005, 11:37 AM
My VX has difficulty 'popping' the hood. Sometimes it takes 2 or up to 4 times to get it to release. While at Moab last week, another owner said he too had that condition. I'm wondering if this is systemic or not? Anyone else have the problem? I am afraid that someday the darn thing wont open even with the second person tugging at it. I implemented a fix today and if time proves it works, I will post photos.

Moncha
05/25/2005, 11:50 AM
make sure the latch is lubed up really well. and the rubber "knobs" are adjusted. In Moab, the dust will cause just about anything to stick.

VXcaver
05/25/2005, 11:51 AM
On mine I had to turn the two black bumpers to increase their height. They're both adjustable, threaded. That's all it took on VXcaver, anyhow.

SPAZZ
05/25/2005, 12:18 PM
then pull up on hood...works everytime...also make sure the hood support brace bolts are always tight and stay aligned properly to hood release.

and ofcourse the other suggestions too

VehiGAZ
05/26/2005, 06:51 AM
Yeah, some WD40 should do the trick. Spray the hood lock mechanism liberally and close and open it a few times. This has happened to all of my cars at one point or another - you pull the release lever inside, and the hood doesn't come up that first inch or so, or it does, but the lever under the hood gets stuck. WD40 is all you need.

Speaking of which, has anyone else heard this line:

"You only need two tools to fix anything: WD40 and duct tape. If it's supposed to move and doesn't, use WD40. If it's not supposed to move and it does, use the tape."

:-)

Ldub
05/26/2005, 07:50 AM
Since we're on the hoodlatch topic, has anyone else experienced a high pitched squeak coming from the front when going over bumps?
I thought it was coming from the suspension, until I greased the catch/hook mechanism...that worked for about two days. Then I wrapped the U shaped loop w/ electricians tape, that lasted a few weeks.
Now I've cut a length of silicone vacuum hose to about 1 1/2" & slit one side,wrapped it around the loop & fastened it w/ zip ties...so far so good, we'll see how long that will last.

Moncha
05/26/2005, 08:01 AM
You have the other common complaint of the VX. You'll need to use a good rubber lube (or silicone lube), AFTER cleaning all of the rubber "bumpers" (2 adjustables in front and the the sides) lube them up. It it they that cause the squeak not the latch. Especially the to front adjustable bumpers. Don't forget to clean the mating surfaces also.

(If this gets too far off from the original topic, I'll split it for ya)

dkmiller68
05/26/2005, 06:36 PM
thanks all. don