PDA

View Full Version : Air Intake

grvcmike
03/24/2003, 09:13 PM
OK, I have a K&N filter on my vx and I just added the Tornado to it also, trying to get the MOST out of my gas! Not doing to bad right now 170 on a half tank! Any way my question is, What is that "silver" thing on the intake hose that you can unplug? It says Air Meter, but what would happen if I removed it? I wonder if it regulates the amount of air it takes in therfore giving us the horrible gas mileage? Please help me in this matter!!!

Tone
03/24/2003, 09:28 PM
It is the air temp sensor - I strongly suggest NOT unplugging (you will get a code) or relocating it - it is an important part of the monitoring system. Get a better flowing muffler like the PowerVault, change ALL your fluids to synthetics, run maximum air in your tires (see tire sidewall) and avoid jack rabbit starts - but there is NO magic cure for a slightly underpowered 4K lb 4WD vehicle.

Hotsauce
03/25/2003, 02:49 AM
If you want to remove a restriction in the intake, throw out that tornado thing. You want to straighten and smooth the flow of air to increase velocity, not spin and swirl it. There are some engines that use high swirl inside the combustion chamber, but the airflow to the head still needs to be smooth.

John C.