PDA

View Full Version : Where's Waldo Part Deux

shoota77
05/23/2005, 02:54 PM
It's time to drive again...2 and a half months after driving Boston to Anchorage and working out in Thailand it's time for me to drive back...tomorrow. Unlike the drive up where I took a month and put on 7000 miles visiting people this is a balls to the wall sprint back east. I have a class that starts on the 27th (looks like I'll miss class 1 :rolleyes: ) and I also need to move out of my apartment into my new one, which luckily is right across the street. I'm planning on being there by the 31st. So, keep your eyes peeled for a ebony VX with Alaska plates hauling arse across the country. I'll be entering the U.S. somewhere around Minnesota or North Dakota then driving through Chicago on 94 and to Boston on 90. Hopefully I'll see a fellow VXer on the road unlike my first trip! Take care.

-Lionel

billh23
05/23/2005, 03:50 PM
Hey, if you come into Minneapolis MN on 94 drop around lunchtime, drop me a line.. I'm right off 94 before it turns into 694/494, maybe we can grab something quick before you buzz east..

shoota77
05/23/2005, 06:53 PM
shoot me your number and if i'm there around that time i'll give you a ring. thanks for the offer!

thebear54
05/24/2005, 07:17 AM
Hey Lionel,
Keep us posted as to your whereabouts along the trip. I may just try to meet up with you on I-90 (near NY Route 22 intersection) if I can swing it with my schedule. Let me know when you are getting close.
Otherwise I hope to see you at the New England Meet on June 11th in Manchester,VT.
Good luck and have a safe trip back.
John

mbeach
05/24/2005, 07:57 AM
I'd like a road report of the Alcan -I'm packing for my drive up as I type.
T minus 19 days...

shoota77
05/29/2005, 03:30 PM
Hello...sitting in Chicago now. I made the drive from Anchorage to Chicago in an insane 77 hours total. I left tuesday at 615 cst and got in friday at 1130 cst. As far as the alcan road conditions...they were awesome. Just a little bit of construction north of whitehorse but other than that it was great. Not too much traffic at all and all the gas stations are pretty much open so you can drive almost all hours (i did). Tomorrow I'll head to Boston...until then, I'll continue the bender i've been on since friday night Happy Memorial Day Weekend!!!

-Lionel

mbeach
05/29/2005, 09:27 PM
Nice!
Thanks for the update. I'm marking the Milepost for gas stops now.

thebear54
05/30/2005, 03:26 AM
Wow Lionel,

I hope that was not 77 hours non-stop...(or do you have a co-pilot along) :)
At the rate you are going you should reach Boston by Monday evening.
Cruise control set at around 90???....LOL
Be safe.
John

shoota77
05/30/2005, 11:40 PM
Got a late start from chicago today so i'm staying in buffalo for the night. Still zero problems with the drive so far. The 77 hours were not straight but it was pretty close...cruise was only set on 80 (you think i'm crazy?). :cool: i wish i couldve set cruise on the alcan, too twisty (and a lot of bison and caribou on/close to the road). anyway, ill be taking off from here at 9 or 10, if lunch is still a possibility let me know john.

-lionel

thebear54
05/31/2005, 02:49 AM
Lionel...
If my schedule today is right I'll be pulling a 12-7:30 pm shift today in greater downtown Manchester.
Looks like we'll have to wait until the meet on June 11th
John

mbeach
06/09/2005, 11:58 PM
3 more days!

In preparation for the drive, today I:
-Changed the Differentials' fluid,
-Changed transfer case fluid,
-Changed transmission fluid (thanks Joe Black for the how-to),
-Changed oil (Slick 50'd it for fun),
-Rotated tires,
-Replaced all 4 rotors and brake pads,
-Changed (most of) the brake fluid,
-Repacked the front bearings,
-Greased the U-joints on the driveshafts,
-Drilled holes for my mudflaps,

This list sucked up 12 HOURS of my day today -including the time spent running (literally) to the hardware store to buy some replacements for those 6 stupid screws that hold the lockrings on the front hubs.
I don't want to touch a wrench for at least a week now... :waag:

shoota77
06/10/2005, 08:25 AM
Haha, you'll be more than fine on the trip up...my preparation include filling up my tank, installing a stereo, and getting two burrito's to hold me over until whitehorse. anyway, good luck on the trip...make sure you bring a camera and watch out for those damn caribou (the bison generally stay off the road). what brings you up to alaska? take care!

mbeach
06/10/2005, 01:35 PM
...what brings you up to alaska? take care!
I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright (Fairbanks) from 9/97 to 12/01. I got hurt on a jump down at Delta Junction and was separated from service. I'm going back up there to take a telecom job that I should've taken when I got out.
I'm getting my second chance.

shoota77
06/10/2005, 01:52 PM
right on! good luck with the new job and the drive...going to fairbanks or anchorage?

mbeach
06/10/2005, 02:17 PM
I'm going all the way to Fairbanks.