PDA

View Full Version : Don't do what I did

V12BMW
05/20/2005, 12:53 AM
ok so im driving to school and noticed that I was low on gas so i told myself i'd go at lunch time to get gas. so i got gas went back to school for more classes and on my way home bam, a check engine light came on. eveything seemed to be running right, but i figured i would play it safe and go get it checked out.
so im at the dealership they do there diagnostic on the engine and when the test came back they told me it was some sort of leak ( evaporator leak I think he said)? but they smoothly snuck it by me that it was caused when i tightened the gas cap the annoying lil cord got caught in the threads so when i screwed the cap on, it didn't seal properly ie gas was evaporating. so i also got a alterator test too and they told me i needed a new one. bummer $900 to fix. O i also ordered some misc parts like the female locking piece for the center console. so i pay for the parts and diagnostic and $183 was the total. so on my way home while looking at the reciept it dawned on me that ***** i just pay $80 some dollars for an engine diag because i didn't put my gas cap on right. And didn't even put up a fight!
Needless to say if that orange engine light pops up go undo, then retighten the gas cap and maybe you'll get lucky and the light will go off. maybe even go as far as doin the cap thing and if lights still on go disconnect the battery terminals which I think (but not sure) will reset the warning light.
Of course if the engine light comes on and the thing runs like ***** then idk if its gonna be a gas cap issue.
p.s. sorry this story was so long. and i do intend to call the service departments manager and see if he can me get a refund for that diagnostic.

thebear54
05/20/2005, 03:42 AM
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"....My best advise to you would be to learn as much as possible about your VX, read a lot of the postings here(a lot of the problems you will, or might get, with the VX should be answered here).
Learn as much as you can it can save a lot of bucks.
Unfortunatly a dealership is a money making corporation, I hope the Service Manager is a nice guy and refunds your $80.00.
John

mbeach
05/20/2005, 04:53 AM
...so i also got a alterator test too and they told me i needed a new one. bummer $900 to fix.

:madr2: How dare your 'dealership' try to tell you that it's going to be $900 to replace your alternator. Parts and labor should be 1/3 of that.

Capri
05/20/2005, 06:35 AM
that $80 should of been applied to your total cost, that's what *most dealerships I've been to have done. Needless to say, I'm gonna look elsewhere for a more trustworthy place for maintenance. Good luck!

MachineVX
05/20/2005, 07:04 AM
Evanston Isuzu was willing to apply the fee for diagnostics to the total price of any repair, and when their tech was scared to work on the supercharged motor, they didn't charge me anything.

transio
05/20/2005, 10:30 AM
Funny, just yesterday I ran out of gas for the first time in my life. Luckily, I was able to putter up near a gas station so I didn't have to walk far to get some gas. I hope I didn't damage the engine at all - I've heard that the last bit of gas in your tank has a high sod concentration.

newthings
05/20/2005, 12:31 PM
The filter would catch any crapola.
Roy

V12BMW
05/20/2005, 03:47 PM
:madr2: How dare your 'dealership' try to tell you that it's going to be $900 to replace your alternator. Parts and labor should be 1/3 of that.
yea no *shame on you**shame on you**shame on you**shame on you* 900 bucks my *shame on you**shame on you**shame on you*, im gonna take it to a custom atlernator shop in eastpoint Reman is their name. or somethin like that? i do alot of off-roading with my vx and i just want an atlernator that isnt gonna crap out on me again.

mbeach
05/21/2005, 09:40 AM
Do a search on 4x4wire in the Isuzu section -there's a high output GM alternator that can be coaxed into the Isuzu's engine bay. 130a I think, and for WAY less money than the Isuzu replacement.

AnalogVX
05/22/2005, 06:39 AM
Here ya go. One altenator upgrade article.
http://www.planetisuzu.com/articles.htm/99