PDA

View Full Version : Death of a Golf

transio
05/19/2005, 05:22 PM
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=SRgtiFIRE

mbeach
05/20/2005, 05:01 AM
I'm not even a VW fan, but halfway through that vid I had to stop watching it. That was horrible. To think, it all could've been saved by a working fire extinguisher.

Two weeks prior to fire:
"...Dude, I got a killer deal on this new downpipe -wanna help me put it in?"

VehiGAZ
05/20/2005, 05:34 AM
Ouch. That's gonna be a tough sell to the insurance company, too, when they figure out how modded up it was.

johnnyapollo
05/20/2005, 08:49 AM
I used to have this R5 Renault that did the same thing (no mods on mine though). I get this call from my girlfriend who was driving to work "Your car's on fire!" - by the time I got there 6' flames were coming from under the hood - total loss. Insurance covered mine though due to the faulty wiring.

-- John

transio
05/20/2005, 10:31 AM
They had over 40k invested in that GTi. Painful.

Joe_Black
05/20/2005, 02:33 PM
Mmmm, mm... toasty.

Heraclid
05/20/2005, 03:05 PM
Mbeach said it best. Get a good one of those little extinguishers for your vehicle. Much cheaper than having this happen.

I once watched an unattended parked car that was not running start doing that once while I was sitting in the line at McDonald's. My parents' Saturn wagon had smoke coming out of the dash recently and they had to replace some kind of switch. Luckily, it didn't light up like a box of matches like that VW did.

And they had 40K in that VW? Sure doesn't show. :eek:

mbeach
05/21/2005, 09:37 AM
Mbeach said it best. Get a good one of those little extinguishers for your vehicle. Much cheaper than having this happen.

What's worse is the fact that they DID have a fire extinguisher -it just didn't work. Probably one of those Jesse James Signature Edition ones from Autozone -you know, the ones that the ricers bolt to their A-pillars.

When I was in high school, I watched a buddy's Omni spontaneously ignite- at a gas station pump! I recall having to push a flaming Dodge away from the pump and down a hill to keep the fire from spreading :eek: