PDA

View Full Version : 4L30-E Transmission Heritage

majork
05/18/2005, 08:36 PM
The 4L30-E transmission is apparently a GM transmission that has been used in Isuzu's and some GM cars going back to 1990....

Others have referred to it as a robust or burly transmission...

Whats the heritage of the transmission and was it modified from its early versions for use in the Vehicross...

I did find a GM transmission manual for it on the web, but I havent been able to find a history of the mods to the transmission...and its particular application in the Vehicross

SGT.BATGUANO
05/19/2005, 12:35 AM
bmw z3 and some others. try a search

thebear54
05/19/2005, 02:52 AM
The 4L30-E tranny is definetly of European Heritage. The unit is built by GM of France (go figure?). You might be able to find something on the GM europe web. Personally I can't imagine a tranny that big and tough being used on your daily european driver(which only weighs a few 1,000 lbs and can seat only two with a bag of groceries),but I can imagine it on only the top of the line cars. Check it out.
John

majork
06/29/2005, 08:52 PM
Well thanks for the tips.....but my google searches have not hit the jackpot yet....

GM Powertrain site doesnt list the tranny since I presume its out of production..they list the 4L60, the successor I guess.....

GM france is not listed on the main GM webpage as a link....

If anyone has specific links to 4L30 archives or repositories

bring'em on

Joe_Black
06/29/2005, 09:16 PM
If you do a search for "4L30E" on eBay you'll see quite a few of the models it's been used in as many are selling rebuilt units and listing the compatible vehicles.

You may want to Yahoo! "4L30E" and "Torque Converter" as that will point you to a few who provide performance and HD torque converters. Contacting one may yield some insider info to the tranny's background.

Maugan_VX
06/30/2005, 03:27 PM
Joe:

Are you saying that people made aftermarket performance parts for the 4l30e?

I was under the impression that nobody cared about the poor thing anymore.

Tone
06/30/2005, 05:00 PM
I've been searching for HP parts for our tranny and they just don't exist. Higher stall converters would be good IF you truely raced it all the time but ours are built fairly well and do not seem to break often. That is unfortunate since anything above 5psi boost will be over spec on what the tranny can handle - I already took one out with a 150shot. Interceptor makes a big difference in longevity and increasing power throughput as it minimizes slippage that is the biggest cause of damage to a tranny.

Joe_Black
06/30/2005, 05:52 PM
There are some folk out there who are building performance TC's and even an HD off-road TC for the 4L30E. It was in enough vehicles that people mod to warrant attention by at least a few vendors, and I wouldn't be surprised if your local tranny shop didn't know a few tricks too.

I've got some updates to my VX tranny maintenance page that's 4L30E specific and will post the link here once I've got it up. Tone's comments about the use of the Interceptor and the 4L30E's resilience are good info. The Interceptor does much of what a custom TC would do for less money and an easier install. What kills an auto tranny isn't HP but excessive torque, as it's hydraulically operated.

If you want a table-top tinkering project that would put you at the top of the VX envy list, get a late-model Trooper 5-speed and set it up for paddle-shift. You'd scare people with that rig! ;)

Here's some basic 4L30E info...

4L30E

Used from 1990-up.

There are MANY versions and are used in the Cadillac Catera as well many Foreign vehicles and Postal trucks.

This is a computer controlled overdrive transmission.

Rear cooler line is the cooler return line.

Band adjustments:
Intermediate = not used
Reverse = 5 turns

Gear Ratios:
2.40:1 1st gear
1.479:1 2nd gear
1.00:1 3rd gear
0.723:1 4th gear
2.00:1 reverse

Optional Gear Ratios:
2.86:1 1st gear
1.62:1 2nd gear
1.00:1 3rd gear
0.723:1 4th gear
2.00:1 reverse

Jonnie
06/30/2005, 07:28 PM
If you want a table-top tinkering project that would put you at the top of the VX envy list, get a late-model Trooper 5-speed and set it up for paddle-shift. You'd scare people with that rig! ;)

ME ME ME!

psychos2
06/30/2005, 07:44 PM
try here: http://www.levelten.com/store/index.htm they list upgrades for trooper and rodeo. shawn

majork
07/03/2005, 09:02 AM
Granted the transmission was used in many vehicle types....but was it basically the same transmission in all cases, or were improvements made as it was tried in different applications

That history must exist somewhere

I did find a GM manual for the THM 4L30E dated 2003.....but it doesnt show a mod history as such....

Joe_Black
07/03/2005, 08:50 PM
The only things changed beside the obvious for fitment (ratios, bell-housings and tailcones) were the actuation solenoids (what gives it the "E" designation) and control interface with the various ECU controllers and sensors. But basically a 4L30E is a 4L30E is a 4L30E. So if you've got a core laying about and want to do a rebuild, the innards will work.

Tone
07/04/2005, 05:10 PM
The 2002+ 4L30E IS different from wiring and solenoid standpoint - not sure what they changed it... MAYBE the innerds are the same but the case is a bit different than the '01 tranny on the stand in my garage.

xXxRed_Ninty_9xXx
11/25/2010, 09:31 PM
WAY OT BUT ITS WORTH POSTING SINCE IT WAS STATED

Hey for those that are willing to spend over $2k here is a possible solution for any tranny swap or mods. If you beef up the 4L30E and use one of Master Shifts kits, IMHO, it would solve any questions as far as "Will TOD work?" or "What modifications do I need to do?" For the money I personally think it is worth it...in any case its worth checking out. Here is the link.

http://www.mastershift.com/