PDA

View Full Version : brackets/seat extenders installed

edyavno
03/23/2003, 07:29 PM
I finally had a chance to install the brackets that Allan (Pete6) recently started offering (http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/003741.html). They allow the passanger seat to move further forward, and make the entry into the rear seat much easier.
I was very interested because I have people climbing into the rear seat quite often, and I got tired of giving tutorials how to do it with the little space we have. :)
I started the install last weekend - thanks to everybody who helped (we had a mini-meet), but we attached one of the brackets (front left) the wrong way, so the seat was slightly tilted towards the right side, even though it was almost unnoticable. I showed Allan the pics, and he pointed out the mistake. I corrected it today, and it's great! The seat is straight and there is a lot more space to get into the back seat.
Here are some things people were interested in.
The brackets are very sturdy, and even seem stronger than the seat rails that attach to them.
You do loose some legroom for the front passanger seat because it doesn't move back as much anymore, but unless you have pretty tall passangers, I don't think it's a problem. Chet (panther_black), who was the tallest at the last sunday mini-meet, sat in the seat after the install, and it looked ok. It should be slightly better now after I fixed the bracket. Chet, how tall are you?
If anybody around new york area wants to check it out, let me know, and we can meet up.
I posted the pics of the install progress and results with some comments on my site for now. I will migrate some of them to vehicross.info a little later.
http://www.yavno.info/gallery/VXFrontSeatBracketsInstall
I haven't had anybody get into the back seat after I installed the brackets yet, but now I don't even mind doing it myself. :)

tomdietrying
03/23/2003, 08:04 PM
Thanks for sharing you expertise.

How long does it take to install? Anyone down in Texas doing these yet?

Tom

edyavno
03/24/2003, 08:15 AM
I wouldn't call it "expertise" :), just sharing experiences.
I would say it took me about hour and a half not counting the interruptions, but that's with one of the brackets installed the wrong way the first time I did the install. I would say you can do it in under an hour, but it would certainly help if you had someone to help you put the seat back in and align it with the brackets. If you want to install them, check out the photos I posted, they should help you do it faster because you’ll know where everything goes. I don't think you need anybody to do the install for you: you just need a set of ranches and sockets, I don't have any experience in modding, and everything was pretty straight-forward once you understand how the brackets and the seat rails should be mounted.

Originally posted by tomdietrying
Thanks for sharing you expertise.

How long does it take to install? Anyone down in Texas doing these yet?

Tom