PDA

View Full Version : Gas Cap Door

scarpezio
05/17/2005, 04:24 PM
I've seen this mentioned before and I thought it was true but it isn't: the key is not needed to close the cas cap filler door. I was in for my biannual emissions check and I had unlocked and left open the door so the gas cap could be pressure tested. I was watching the tech do the test in the side view mirror and was preparing to offer him the key to enable him to close the door when he just pushed it shut as easy as pie. I tried it later myself and sure enough, it just pushes shut like most normal cars. I have no idea why I never tried this before myself.

Anita
05/17/2005, 04:48 PM
I think several years ago we had a thread about this. Half of us needed the key to close the cap and the other half just needed to close it shut to lock it.

keyless closure here

thebear54
05/17/2005, 06:52 PM
Hey Irwin...
I know on the old '99 we still have to use the key to lock her up...it sounds like on the '00 and '01 they make a little improvement.
John

mbeach
05/17/2005, 08:27 PM
I need the key on both of the '01s.

I am jealous of those who don't need it.

thebear54
05/18/2005, 04:07 AM
hey...WHAT'S UP WITH THIS????
This is really weird.... 1/2 do and 1/2 don't :wtfg: :wtfb: :wtfo:
I'm totally corn-fused.
John :)

kpaske
05/18/2005, 05:47 AM
It may not be quite a solution, but I think I've got the answer: it must be adjustable.

I know this because when I first bought my VX in 99, I could shut the gas cap door without the key. It worked this way for several years, until I needed to get some rear end body work. Ever since I got it back from the shop, I've had to use the key. However, they did not swap any parts, so I'd be willing to bet if someone gets in there and fools around a bit, there is some play in the way the latch goes together and it can be adjusted in such a way that you can close the door without the key.

mbeach
05/18/2005, 06:22 AM
There's no PN (that I could find) for the lock cylinder, nor was there any provision for adjustability (just removal). Both of my gas door latches contact the edge of the trim ring unless I move them aside with the key.

I circled the interference here:

MachineVX
05/18/2005, 08:15 AM
Got an '00 and I need the key, too

redline
05/18/2005, 03:32 PM
01 needing key also

Beavertractors
05/18/2005, 05:15 PM
01 and I need the key..

LiquidVX
05/20/2005, 10:35 PM
I never needed the key until I broke the door off. Now that its replaced, I need a key.

thebear54
05/21/2005, 02:55 AM
OK...I have it figured out!!!

If you don't need a key to close the gas door....IT'S BROKE

If you need a key to close the gas door....IT'S GOOD

LOL

John

kpaske
05/21/2005, 07:46 AM
thebear54 -

You very well may be right, but it's still a PITA to have to close your gas cap door with a key. I'd rather it if mine were broke again!

Ldub
05/21/2005, 09:28 AM
OK people, I've been watching this thread for a while...& I finally couldn't take it any more. Yes, I actually went out & looked in my gas door.

The gold colored metal "catch" that engages the mechanism can be bent back (to the left looking at it) to ease closing.

The bracket holding the rubber "stop" can also be manipulated in or out to adjust where the door is in relation to the frame.

The cap screws around the perimeter hold it all together. I've replaced mine with stainless steel, just because I like the way it looks...but be warned,it's a real PITA getting the nuts back on the backside of the catch & the stop, & they WILL drop down into a place where they are nearly impossible to retrieve if you don't have a finger on em during disassembly.

Also, & this is just opinion, all VX gas doors can be closed w/o the key...you're just not slamming it hard enough. Look in there at the strike plate/catch on the left side to see what I mean.

Ok, rant off...thats my "farmboy engineering" tutorial on gascap doors, take it for what it's worth (about what you paid), class dismissed.

Ldub :winkr: :winkr: :winkr: :smack: ;wtf;

Anita
05/21/2005, 02:37 PM
OK...I have it figured out!!!

If you don't need a key to close the gas door....IT'S BROKE

If you need a key to close the gas door....IT'S GOOD

LOL

John

No no no! :) Ever since I bought my 2000 I never had to use the key to close. Not broken - just special :razg2:

SPAZZ
05/21/2005, 06:00 PM
mine has needed a key to close the gas tank door since I pulled it off the showroom floor

Heraclid
05/21/2005, 06:25 PM
I've always used the key. Even if I didn't need to, I would use the key. No breaky = better. Mine's a '99.

WyrreJ
05/22/2005, 05:32 PM
I always use the key because I always leave my keys hanging in the lock when I fill it up. After a couple of homer-doh moments with previous vehicles, I decided I like to leave my keys there because then I won't lose them while I'm doing things like cleaning the windshield or (even stupider) accidentally lock them in the car...

Bulldoggie
06/15/2005, 05:25 PM
There's no PN (that I could find) for the lock cylinder, nor was there any provision for adjustability (just removal). Both of my gas door latches contact the edge of the trim ring unless I move them aside with the key.

I circled the interference here:

I could not close mine without the key, so when I read that half of the owners could, I studied the latch and found that it would not push pass the inner metal ring (part #8 in previous quote). So I used a Dremel to grind almost an 1/8th of an inch off the edge. (only in the path of the latch)
I also had to remove a tiny bit off the plastic coated latch upper corner, (right where it bends) to ease it passing through the outer ring hinge plate (part #6 in previous quote).
NOW IT'S SMOOTH AS BUTTER!!!!

Bulldoggie
09/16/2005, 08:02 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/P10100021.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/P10100021.JPG)
This is the picture that shows the areas to grind for the door to close without the key as previously described.

dkmiller68
09/17/2005, 05:25 AM
Gringing seems like way overkill...I just rebent my latch tab with my finger (you can have it either way - key or no key).

Bulldoggie
09/17/2005, 11:20 AM
If you look ( at the above picture) you can see the latch scratches the outer ring on "my" door. the inner ring sticks out into the path over an 1/8th of an inch more, if you bent the latch that much you would not have any left, if you do not like grinding, you may try loosening all the ring bolts and try moving the inner ring rearward hoping that there is enough play in the holes to do so. the latch tab springs out of the way, and only needs to be bent in enough to hold the tip of the latch. The grinding doesn't show but you could file and paint to protect from rust. I will

Mantronix7
09/17/2005, 11:52 AM
Is there any way to change the lock to use a different set of keys on the gas cover so that I don't need to use the car keys to open the tank? My car alarm goes off when the door gets opened after filling the tank. A real pain. :mad:

Bulldoggie
09/19/2005, 09:16 PM
Is there any way to change the lock to use a different set of keys on the gas cover so that I don't need to use the car keys to open the tank? My car alarm goes off when the door gets opened after filling the tank. A real pain. :mad:
The lock "core" is rivited at the latch and not easy to change the pins, but if you ordered a replacement door with latch, it would come with a new key

Mantronix7
09/19/2005, 11:33 PM
Thanks Bulldoggie,

I searched several online parts websites but could'nt find the replacement door. Any place has them that you know of?

HotFlyer
09/20/2005, 04:54 AM
As a Locksmith, I've changed my gas cap lock to work with its own key. It was not a hard thing to do.

Howard
2001 Ebony 0761

AREA 51
09/20/2005, 08:02 AM
How bout keepin it simple and just get a duplicate key and use it for the gas door? You're not afraid you'll leave the key in the door r u?

DevTechVX
01/14/2006, 12:54 PM
Someone really did a number on my door before I bought it second hand. The bolts are wrong on the ring (mine are hex head instead of torx head cap screws which means you can't tighten once the heads move below the surface), the lock is missing, and the latch plate is missing. I use a small stick to jam in the door to keep it closed. Anyone know where I can find what I need?

LiquidVX
01/14/2006, 02:13 PM
I just went to the dealership. I think it was like $36. Took 3 days to arrive.