PDA

View Full Version : Experience with roof bag?

Capri
05/10/2005, 08:31 AM
I read a few older posts about Yakima baskets and weatherproof bags for the roof. I was wondering:

-which is more useful? I need some extra space for camping gears, sleeping bags, tents, etc.
-any brand recommendation besides Yakima?

I saw a variety of roof carrier containers, baskets and bags on sale at the local Target, Wal-mart, Meijer, also saw some at Autozone, unsure which one really stands out. If anyone's got suggestions, I'm all ears... :)

Moncha
05/10/2005, 08:40 AM
I use the Load Warrior and when needed, I have the large Yak bag. In short, I love it!
2 Years ago went to Moab, the down to Phoenix. Went through just about every type of weather you could imagine and not a drop of moisture inside the bag plus it holds a ton of stuff.
With the bag's tie downs designed for the Load Warrior, it never slipped (Even with MY driving through mountain passes) around.
I also have Boa bike attachments and have used the bag with bikes. You can't get as much in the bag when the bikes are on but, it still worked great.

VXcaver
05/10/2005, 09:07 AM
I use a load warrior with the extension, and when I go for a weekend it totally overflows with camping and climbing gear. Also, my gas milage suffers with the Yakima on the roof, so I take it off when I'm not using it. Its light enough to be easy to remove, unlike those bigger box units. Also a little easier to store, I think.

Bad things, stuff gets wet when it rains and bugs get on the stuff. My neighbor's cat uses my spare tire for a cat bed at night. :winkg:

Moncha
05/10/2005, 12:34 PM
Here's a link to my mods page (http://www.moncha.com/more_mods.html) on my personal site.

When the Load Warrior is not on, which is most of the time, here's how mine is stored.
http://www.moncha.com/images/Modlinks/Loadwarrior/lwhang3.jpg

driver3
05/10/2005, 01:37 PM
I use the Thule playpen, I really like it. Usually it holds the spare and my thule snowboard attachement. fits the factory roof bars fine, and comes with the locks included (although the factory rack does NOT lock to the roof). I don't have enough room either, mine is now a two seater again and I still feel like I have no room. I'm buying some webbing soon and I'm going to sew a net to connect behind my seats to keep all the crap from coming up front when I stop fast...

Triathlete
05/10/2005, 09:04 PM
I use a bag on my factory rack. It works fine, keeps everything dry, is easy to store but you have to put all the soft stuff on the bottom just to make sure you don't damage the roof. I think I got mine at Target for like $30.
As for keeping things out of the front seat during "evassive" braking...tie down straps work like a charm! :winky: :yesy: