PDA

View Full Version : Toying with the idea of getting a bike

Heraclid
05/08/2005, 10:02 AM
Well, not saying I'll do it yet, but I'm sort of considering a used Ninja 500, which by all accounts seems to be a great beginner's bike. Read a great article and it beats the Suzuki GS500 all to pieces in every way. I'm tempted by the Suzuki SV650S but I'm thinking a 600cc+ anything is probably still too much for a beginner, especially these days. I am a big guy though, but still I don't want gobs of power and nasty surprises. I don't care what's coolest, fastest, whatever - I want something I can handle and learn on without hopefully getting into much trouble. I'm actually scared of these things but fascinated by them too. Can't spend a lot and besides, you know it's gonna get laid down. But the 500 doesn't have a fuel gauge... what's up with that? Anyway, I wouldn't do anything until I've taken the MSF course and know if I really want to do this, but any advice would be much appreciated.

EDIT: See? Shows what I know. Apparently LOTS of bikes don't have a fuel gauge.

nocturnalVX
05/08/2005, 12:10 PM
...those that have crashed, and those that are going to crash.

That's a common saying and (as I belong to the former group) I can say it's pretty accurate. However, motorcycling is one of my favorite activities & I've been riding since 1987. I would NEVER discourage anyone from trying it out, but it's not for everyone. You have the right idea starting out with a rider course and a middleweight bike. Starting with a 500cc or 600cc bike is a good idea because you can grow into it as your skills improve, but it's not too small either. Have fun & good luck!

Oh, and yeah... most bikes either have a reserve switch or an "idiot light", but no gas guage. My Ducati only has a low fuel light.

redline
05/08/2005, 05:28 PM
I started out on a 82 Suzuki GS750E nice bike if you can find one.The Secretary state back then consisted of driving down the road and coming back explaining the controls to the examiner ,all of 10 minutes. I recently took the Safety course with a friend who wanted to ride.I saw guy's there that also rode before not able to pass the skills test.Just show's what kind of talent we have out there that should not be there.I currently own/ride A 96 Buell S2T,simply a work of art.

P.s. the bikes you use in the MSF course have some bumps and scrapes, make sure you ride all of them because when you get stuck on a bike you havent familiarized yourself with and have to take the road test with ...well you know the rest

CSTYLES
05/08/2005, 07:34 PM
I just got my first Dirt Bike. I've never ridden before and wasn't ready for the road, still need to get comfortable with the gears. It's a 230cc Honda 4 stroke (lawn mover engine...) but it has been a lot of fun. I plan to graduate to a street bike one day.

Anyone want to get together or knows of a place to ride in Maryland?

Heraclid
05/08/2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks a bunch to both of you for some good advice...

Yes, I've seen that saying all over the place as I've been doing some reading on the subject lately. Certainly it is intimidating. My brother dated a girl who works at a local hospital and they call motorcyclists "organ donors". A guy who worked for my Dad wiped out on one, and despite nary a scratch on his helmet, he still sustained head injuries and was never quite right in the head afterward. Sadly, since they work in some dangerous places with high voltage and so forth, and since he was becoming a danger to himself and others, my Dad had no choice but to let him go. Just saw a post earlier today on a sportbike board of a guy whose face got a bad case of road rash and was crushed around the left eye socket. The guy hadn't learned much from it either. A guy I work with loves riding and just got a new bike, but he once crushed his pelvis. I know Joe Black from this board had a nasty crash once too. The stories are endless. I don't know why I'm drawn to this kind of stuff. I want to fly helicopters and ride motorcycles. I need help. LOL! And this would require me to lead a secret life. My mother would not sleep if she knew and would do everything in her power to stop it, and I mean that.

Funny thing is, my Mom is a preacher's daughter who dated a long-haired bad boy on a motorcycle and rode with him despite her father's strictly forbidding it. And the bad boy is my Dad, who had a Norton 750. He almost slid it under the church bus he was next to when he hit some sand once. He quit riding when he became a father.

Of course the faster you're going the scarier it can be, but I am amazed how many people have laid down bikes at 10 mph or just forgetting to put the stand down and dropping one. I would be very cautious and I'm definitely not someone interested in getting anywhere close to exploring my bike's top speed. Just about any of them will go crazy fast, and just moderate speeds on a bike are an entirely different thing than doing it in the VX. I am also blown away by how many people I see not wearing full protective gear. Around here, I may have seen one guy, ever. Usually the most I see is a helmet and armored jacket, but no boots, gloves, and just jeans. Most often it's less than that, many times no helmet, a t-shirt, and jeans or even shorts. That is insane. If it is too hot to wear what you should, then it is too hot to ride. Period.

I was reading a forum for local riders and so many people want to jump right on a hot bike. One person was talking about getting her first bike. A Suzuki GSX-R1000! Everyone was saying she should reconsider but she thought since she lifts weights and her husband has been riding for 20 years, she'd be fine. ;eekb; She was one of those that came on asking for advice but wouldn't heed a word of it. She will probably be a sad statistic sooner rather than later.

My dream bike, if I had the money and was comfortable riding one, would probably be a MV Agusta F4-1000S or one of the high-end Aprilias or Ducatis. In the case of the Agusta, I know that's about 165 hp. If I could afford it, would I start out on that? Heavens no!!! Motorcycles will try to kill you if they sense you don't know what you're doing. Besides, there's no sense dropping much money on your first bike, a bike you are almost guaranteed to lay down.

So far I'm mostly hearing that I should not go over 600cc's and the Ninja 500 or GS500 have been recommended. I've been told the CBR600F4i is a great starter bike, and also that it's not a good starter bike at all. I've heard that just about anything with the letter R in it is probably a bad idea. But I was also told by very respectable source that for my size I should maybe go with the SV650/SV650S, a V-twin which I would not outgrow as quickly and would have more low-end grunt for my size and a bit more comfortable riding position for me. I will certainly take all suggestions into consideration however. But I wouldn't go for a 750 at this point, and I have ruled out the GS500 because the Ninja 500 outclasses it in just about every way imaginable.

I'd never think of doing this without doing the safety course first. I don't even know if I'd want to do it yet, I just think I would. The gear is expensive, ditto for the insurance. It may freak me out. One step at a time, but I'm trying to educate myself in the meantime and get as much input from anyone who will talk to me as I can. Thanks!

zadam123
05/08/2005, 07:45 PM
Cool timing i just bought this on saturday, I havent been on a bike for 12 years and decided to get another one, i used to have a gsxr 1100 back in 92 and then it got stolen but with gass and tolls going up in Ny this will pay for itself, or at least thats what im telling myself lol

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/DSCN1645.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN1645.JPG)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/DSCN1643.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN1643.JPG)

adam

billh23
05/08/2005, 08:28 PM
I had a 96 Suzuki Katana 600 for a few years. Sweet bike, bought it for the same reason you said -- its a beginners bike, etc. Wished I would have bought an 1100 shortly after because as soon as you learn to ride, you'll wish you had more power. It's not about top speed, because all of them will do 100mph+ and really you can't do more then 120 on any real roads anyway. What you start to wish you had is more "umpfh". Anyway, I drove it for a about three years. In that time, I got rear ended once by a guy who said he totally didin't even know I was there (slow speed, he knocked my bike over and I kind of just fell off and rolled). Another time was worse, I was riding on a freeway around rush hour.. Semi truck put his left turn signal on and just moved over.. only problem, I was half way done passing him on the left. He pushed me into the ditch, I dumped the bike doing about 50mph. I was very lucky and just kind of slid it to a stop. I walked away, but shaved about a .5" off my helmet, gave my whole one side of my body some pretty bad road rash, knocked the mirror and turn signals off the bike, and gave it some pretty good gashes. I still have the scars on the my shoulder and forearm to show for it, but the bike became an engagement ring for my now wife.

Would I ride again? Definitely! Would my wife allow it? No. Would I probably hurt myself again? Likely.

TechnoPope
05/08/2005, 09:02 PM
I learned on a chain driven BMW F650 classic and would highly recommend any BMW F bike as a great beginner bike. The riding position, torque and wheel rake make for a very forgiving motorcycle. In 1997 they made an ST version that was more street oriented than many other F650 models. Some F bikes were modified with lowering kits that may or may not make for a better fit. Check out www.f650.com for very supportive owners forum. I chose the F650 because I did not care for the riding position of either the cruiser or sport bikes. Good luck choosing your first bike. There are a lot of great choices out there.
Frank

Heraclid
05/08/2005, 09:04 PM
Scary stuff, and I'm glad you got through it. So many things could happen that fortunately did not, like getting even more busted up or some car nailing ya after the fact. Or like when you go over the top and the bike is behind you, hurtling toward you.

Yeah, that's a question mark. My wife says she's ok with it, but if it got right down to it and it actually looked like a bike was coming home with me... I don't know. She may be brave and supportive because she doesn't see it actually happening. :-)

I'm a wuss I guess. The things do scare me. I'm not looking to spend much time going fast. I'll probably ride like a granny and keep it to the roads right around here where I grew up that I'm very familiar with, where the speed limit never exceeds 45 mph, the traffic isn't too bad, there aren't a lot of big trucks, and the good folks at the fire station are never more than a couple of minutes from anywhere I would go. :-) Maybe that's a waste of any good bike, but that'll probably be me. And of course the helmet would always be on if for no other reason than maybe ending up next to my mother at a light or something. Must be incognito... it's best for her sanity. LOL

Thanks, Technopope... any ideas are appreciated!

james1_10018
05/09/2005, 08:20 AM
Hey Heraclid
I, too am looking into bikes. I have only riden once in my life on a 250 cc. It was scary., I am taking an MSF class and then buying a bike. I have been looking at the "hayabusa" . Everyone has been agaisnt it as not a good 1st bike . So now I am leaning towards the SV, at least for a year.
If I feel comfortable I may just go for the busa.
Like you, I am not one to take speeds lightly, I respect the power, its just I love the look and meanness of the Busa.
I believe I am a very careful, scared driver

xdfarrx
05/09/2005, 09:14 AM
I'll say this.... You don't sound like a fool so I believe you prolly won't ride like on. My first bike was a full liter (1000cc) bike. I never rode before. I did the MSF class, etc. etc.

I would recommend a new 600 (or preowned). The SV is a great bike and can be had pro owned very cheap (go to WERA forum, hint). They peak at 80 hp (tops) and have a decent chassis.

This might sound ahead of the curve for you but very quick you will get used to whatever bike.

I now own a R1 and the bike dynos at around 150hp....

I recommend youu by a bike that will make you happy now and in the future, being a good 600 is totally manageable but also has plenny of teeth.

Remember the bike only does what it is told to do via inputs... If you trust yourself then you can trust riding-

good luck!!

V-Twin hiCROSS
05/09/2005, 10:47 AM
Heraclad,
My suggestion would be to look into either a cruiser, or a dual-sport bike. I know that most of the "crotch-rocket" guys are going to disagree, but I do have some reasons behind my suggestions.

I currently own a custom Harley Softtail and a Kawasaki KLR 650 dual-sport. My biggest complaint against the sport bikes are that you cannot hardly ride them without going too fast. I have several buddies with them, and we switch rides once in a while. Those things just want to GO!!!! I am similar to Heraclad, in that I do not intend to ride faster than is safe.

With a cruiser, you can just sit back and relax and take in all of your surroundings. If you can afford it, there is nothing more fulfilling than the rumble of an American made V-Twin (with some decent pipes of course) under your butt. Not too mention, the young ladies go nuts for them.

If you are at all adventurous, think about a dual-sport. You can go on back roads and trails any time you wish. They are also very easy to ride and have excellent maneuverability. Here in Missouri, we have tons of forest trails and even several state parks to go out and ride in the woods. This is probably my favorite stress-releiving activity.

Just my $.02. Let us know what youy decide on.

Dallas4u
05/09/2005, 05:44 PM
Too bad BeginnerBikes.com is gone... it was a great source of info for beginner and not-so-beginner riders.

Yes, the SV650 is probably going to be too much bike to handle. The debate over this model was a HUGE discussion on the above forum... it's only a 650cc, but the gearing and HP can be way too much for someone (MANY beginners) that just can't handle it. On the other hand, the Ninja 500 is thought of as being a great beginners bike. I'm not a huge sport bike fan, but no one ever had anything bad to say about the Ninja 500.

It's good that you're going to take the MSF. I don't think there is a person out there that couldn't get at least something positive out of it... even MANY seasoned riders (there were many in the course that I took). I'm not sure if they do it exactly the same in every course, but they initially told us to pick a bike... one that came close enough to fitting us as possible. Now, you don't know, being a beginner, what is going to fit and won't won't... so just pick something you can sit on somewhat comfortably. I say this because I was stuck with my bike through the whole (3 day) course. Not bad, because the cruiser (Suzuki GZ250) fit ok. It was pretty small, but not too bad. I don't know if you'll be able to brag different bikes through the course, but you do get to check them out before the course starts... so see if you can sit on them and get a feel for what feels better between your legs! ;)

Good luck! I wouldn't buy anything until after the course. At least then you can possibly test ride some bikes... my first bike was a KTM Duke II, which is a 640cc, but is also known as a hooligan machine. I now ride a Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc). Best in its class, and has more power than many larger machines, but is not a bad second bike choice.

Oh... and about the fuel gauge. Most aren't very accurate, so not having one doesn't matter much. You can determine (thorugh research) how much on average riders get for that particular bike, and just watch your mileage. Initially, the Volusia (name of the same model before the C50) had a gas gauge... now, my bike just has a low level light.

Have fun!

*EDIT... I just forgot to state that riding a motorcycle may possible be more fun than having sex. It's possible... I'd have to do many more tests before coming to a final conclusion, but it is possible!*

Heraclid
05/09/2005, 05:52 PM
James1_10018, I agree with what everyone else has been telling you. Please don't go for the Hayabusa right out of the gates. It doesn't matter how cautious you are or what the salesman says, things happen and if you aren't experienced that thing WILL get you. If you were going to start playing with snakes, would you start with a king cobra?

Xdfarrx, that's pretty much my thinking too. Something along the lines of the SV650 is the most powerful thing I'd consider for a first bike. The only reason I'd even consider a 600/650 is the fact that you don't grow out of them so much and there are a few very well-mannered ones out there that will let you make a few mistakes without making you suffer too much for it. In fact, many folks seem to quickly move up to liter bikes and then settle back down onto 600's and 750's.

V-Twin hiCross, it's just a personal taste thing for me - I've never been real drawn to other bikes like I am to the so-called crotch rockets. I'm not saying it's out of the question because that very well may change if I get to ride some different things at a MSF course or whatever. Comfort and safety is more important than image and for all I know, I may find out that the last thing I want is a sportbike - I just don't know yet.

Edit: Just saw your post Dallas... thanks for the info! And I would definitely wait until after the course, so maybe I'm sort of putting the cart before the horse here by getting into all of this now. I was just offered a nice CBR600F3 but it's just not time for that yet. And oh yeah, have fun testing which is better. :-) If I were you, I'd never reach a definite conclusion so I could continue testing indefinitely. LOL

morgan-tec
05/09/2005, 06:01 PM
I taught my neighbor to ride and we started her on an SV650S and she did awsome. She is a big girl <200lbs and now she is doing track days and group rides with less than two yrs of riding under her belt. The 650 is a very good beginner bike, not too pricy and there is all kinds of stuff for it, and depending on your insurance since it does not have a lowed faring they do not consider it a sport bike so you dont get raped for the sportbike surcharge.

Dallas4u
05/09/2005, 06:08 PM
Hey Heraclid
I, too am looking into bikes. I have only riden once in my life on a 250 cc. It was scary., I am taking an MSF class and then buying a bike. I have been looking at the "hayabusa" . Everyone has been agaisnt it as not a good 1st bike . So now I am leaning towards the SV, at least for a year.
If I feel comfortable I may just go for the busa.
Like you, I am not one to take speeds lightly, I respect the power, its just I love the look and meanness of the Busa.
I believe I am a very careful, scared driver

Dood... seriously, I don't know if there is a much WORSE choice for a first bike! Any GSXR is going to be WAY beyond possibly even a second or third bike... it just depends how much time, respect, patience you have behind you. Some people can get away with a fast machine right off the bat... but I have seem many posts about people or their friends that couldn't handle the 650 as their first bike, or all the squids that have to wheelie or show off on the highway with no helmet, or just a helmet and now armor... totally biting it. It isn't really what you ride but how you go about doing it... and with a powerful machine, or one that just isn't very beignner friendly, it just makes it THAT much harder to learn to ride.

If you had scary moments on a 250cc at one time, the 'busa is something to stay WAY clear of!!!

Also... for those of you thinking of getting the absolute largest bike that you would think of riding because you don't want to outgrow it, let me say this... your first bike will be just that, your first bike. I will guarantee you, if it fits you, you can sit on it and ride it comfortably, and you can get to where you need to on it, you won't outgrow it... at least you won't get rid of it before it is time. In fact, beginner to intermediate bikes can almost be sold for what you bought them for these days! It's true. My wife bought a 2003 Honda Rebel 250 for $1950... this is a STEAL! We were seeing '98 Rebel's selling for $2200. In fact, the Ninja 500 is one of the MOST saught after bikes right now. I tell you, buy a used one, ride it for a year or so... and you will get your money's worth. If you think you can ride a bike for $200 a year, and sell it... is it worth it? Of course!

Dallas4u
05/09/2005, 06:17 PM
I taught my neighbor to ride and we started her on an SV650S and she did awsome. She is a big girl <200lbs and now she is doing track days and group rides with less than two yrs of riding under her belt. The 650 is a very good beginner bike, not too pricy and there is all kinds of stuff for it, and depending on your insurance since it does not have a lowed faring they do not consider it a sport bike so you dont get raped for the sportbike surcharge.

The SV650 is a gray area... I definitely wouldn't call it a very good beginners bike. If you can track it, I wouldn't say it is for an absolute beginner. That bike has some serious power. You have to think that, everyone is different... as are bikes. Some bikes are powerful AND touchy... steering, braking, handling all come in to play. Beginner bikers (ANY bikers for that matter) can make some twitchy decisions/reactions and, on a bike that will react to any little movement, that can be a bad thing. Again, I'm not saying any specific person cannot handle an SV650, or any bike for that matter... in fact I remember someone that started on a GSXR600 and rode for a couple years with no problems... but I honestly wouldn't say that was even CLOSE to a good beginners bike.

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend a new bike as a beginner bike... you know, in case it gets laid down and all!

t2p
05/12/2005, 10:20 AM
You may also want to consider a Ninja 250. A used 250 Ninja is relatively inexpensive and will sell easily if/when you sell it to purchase another bike.
They are relatively lightweight, handle well, and stop well. Fairly comfortable also.
They run fairly well also - probably accelerate in the same neighborhood as a HD Sportster (for example) and are MUCH faster than most any other 'beginner' bike. The motor really needs to be revved to move in a respectable fashion, but it is smooth and content to run at any speed all day long. Just don't get on a 600 sport bike - and you will be content.
I prefer the 250 Ninja over the 500. If I WAS leaning toward a 500 cc bike or similar, there are many other bikes I would (instead) consider.

transio
05/12/2005, 02:17 PM
I've been looking at this possibility too. In fact, I begin my rider training tonight. I've been told the Suzuki SV650 is a great trainer bike, because it's not too big and has no fairings to scratch up.

morgan-tec
05/14/2005, 08:20 AM
There are a few things to look at when choosing the bike, first is the rider. Sure someone who wants to go do wheelies and stopies all day will probibly ride beyond their skill level to fast and crash. But if you have someone who is responsible, mature, level headed with some quick thinking skills and the correct training they have a good chance of keeping the rubber down. Next is the bike. We choose the SV650 because it is a very easy bike to ride. has good feedback to the rider without being twitchy or uncontroable the brakes are great and it is not a throw away bike. By that i mean that most people i know that have started on a 250 regret going that small. And then they are ready for a larger bike in one summer. I am not saying that this bike is the perfest starter bike for everyone, no bike is but for a larger guy or girl it seems to work out well. Also it has been pointed out that it does not have lower fairings to destroy so if it is dropped it will be a lot cheaper to repair.

shoota77
05/14/2005, 10:02 AM
I'll just let you know what I did and let you sort out what you want to do...
I did a lot of research and heard everything from start out on a 250 to get a bike you can ride for a couple years to "You're 6'5 so you're going to probably want a litre bike...but nothing less than a 600." Anyway, I bought a used Ninja 250 and learned some skills on that. After a year, I sold it for the exact same amount I bought it for and bought a bigger bike. The little Ninja was plenty fast (will beat almost all common cars off the line) and gave me an inexpensive opportunity to see if I even liked motorcycling and start learning motorcycle skills. If I laid it down or anything else parts are plentiful and cheap. Good luck with your decision whatever it may be.

Heraclid
05/14/2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks! Yeah, luckily we have a pretty good group of local guys I found out about who have pretty much all said to stay under 600cc, although one is recommending the Suzuki SV650 for my height/weight. One thing about living here is that there are only one or two good reputable shops. I was in the Honda dealership a while back and they were telling me the CBR600F4i is a good starter bike. Suzuki said the GSX-R600 would be okay. Most everyone else seems to disagree on both counts, particularly the Suzuki (the Honda is at least a more forgiving bike). Lots of people start that way and do alright, but I'd rather not. I've heard many bad stories since about the Honda shop and most of the others around here too. Definitely would want to work on it myself as much as possible and cut out the dealer service depts, as I've done with the VX. I don't think bikes should be too hard to work on. The SV650 is appealing for the riding position and lack of expensive fairings, but it's no joke and I'm not sure I'd go there first. I am leaning toward a Ninja at this point. The SV650 looks and performs better, but that's irrelevant at this point. Basically, there aren't but a couple of truly good learner bikes being made these days. They all want to go really fast and most are pretty sensitive to the throttle.

Dallas4u
05/14/2005, 11:10 AM
There definitely aren't many bikes good for beginners being import into the US. Over in Europe, they LOVE anything below a 650... there are TONS of options. The thing is, begineer bikes sell like MAD over here. So, don't think about having a problem selling whatever you buy when you are ready for your next bike... it is almost guaranteed to sell, and at a decent price as well.

The Ninja 250 and 500 are also (one of, if not THE) best selling beginner bikes out there. They are kinda hard to come by, so if you find one, and decide you want it, jump on it! Also, if you like the look of the naken SV650, you may consider the Suzuki GS500. Power that won't get you into too much trouble, naked styling, and you can find them pretty cheap.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Heraclid
05/14/2005, 11:35 AM
Yeah, lots of guys have said turning around and selling your first bike for what you paid for it a year earlier is no sweat. I'm not a big fan of the naked bikes, but if it saves on insurance and repair costs, I'd be game. And the SV650S is decent-looking with the added sporty front end that the SV650 lacks. The GS500 has a little more dressing, too. Here's a little something I read that explains why I'm so much more into the Ninja than the GS500...

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/NinjaGScomparo07a.pdf

xdfarrx
05/14/2005, 02:05 PM
I would get an R6 or cbr600.
The bottom line is with bikes if you have the dough to graduate into different bikes then cool. For me with my work I live feast of famine. I try to buy with vision for were I am progressing and evolving not only in taste but in ability.

I have 150 rwhp R1... I don't do wheelies unless power ones, never a stoppie, and take the *shame on you**shame on you**shame on you**shame on you* dead serious.

There isn't really a bike out there the avg rider can push to its limits. Look at AMA superstock times vs Superbike. Factory bone stock machines are very potent.

An 80 rwhp motorcycle is just as dangerous IMO as a 150, with the difference being that one will attach itself to your ego faster then the other; being you can get into trouble faster by virtue of the bigger hp.

Your throttle hand and clutch hand control the inputs, but it is you mind, awareness, and most importantly your ego that 'drives' a bike. It is failure to control the fore mentioned which often puts fools in the hospital and in the ground.

If you have yourself in check, you could buy a GSX-R 1k and ride it no worries... My first bike was a full liter bike. Ironically it was a 600 that I first went down on due to later discovered Glycol on the road.

It fundamentally doesn't matter, **** around and you will get landed on your SV or gixxer-

You sound clued in.... follow your bliss, and then as the saying goes, don't ride faster then you guardian angel can follow you-

good luck

PS
Any person that says they bought a new bike and even pre owned bike and flips it for the same is not common and I think they are full of *shame on you**shame on you**shame on you**shame on you*. I ride em, bought em, and sell em.... maybe out here in Cali the buyer is a little more savvy but be careful assuming youll recoup the same money out as put in I don't think is sensible.
To the defense of the Kawi 250's and 500's those are beginner bikes- They haven't had any updates to the bikes since almost being released and are frequently available...
I would go to the WERA forum if you want a SV... many on there as well as aftermarket parts, engines, wheels etc...

shoota77
05/14/2005, 03:33 PM
It's actually fairly common for the Ninja 250/500 to get turned around for close to if not the same price one bought it for. Like Dallas said, they are kind of hard to come by because they are "the best" beginner bike out there. And like xdfarrx stated the design hasn't changed in 15 years, so it really doesn't make sense to buy one of these new...mine was a '95 with some sweet purple rims. :cool:

Heraclid
05/15/2005, 09:38 AM
Hey Dallas, I PM'd ya back - sorry if you get duplicates.

SPAZZ
05/16/2005, 08:23 AM
I have had motorcycles on and off my whole life, except when in the Maraine Corps for 8 years I only had a Ninja 500 for a short period, but being deployed all over the place and not being able to have a place to keep it I sold it.

Thinking of the feeling of jumping on my bike early on a day off and taking a drive through the mountains and getting away from virtually all city life and reading this forum and listening to bike talk, really makes me miss a bike.

So, I am starting to save and I will have a Hayabusa. I am a big guy and like the feeling I get when I ride a Hayabusa and am able to stretch out a little. It also is way more comfortable on long trips and doesn't vibrate your hands numb on the longer trips either. Plus, a few mods and you get the over 200MPH ability..unless you get the '99 model which were the ones that go over 200mph stock. The other years only go 186mph.