PDA

View Full Version : Temp spare tire - Pretty much Useless??

The Mouse
05/07/2005, 04:54 PM
Or What?..!!...
Used my stock temp spare tire for 1st time today. After about 100 yards, I turned back. The entire drive train was making a terrifc noise, and my dashboard TOD lights were pulsing up & down like VU meters at a Linkin Park concert.... Hope everything's okay after I put the repaired tire back on tomorrow....

Is this normal, or is the spare pretty useless?... I carry a can of emergency flat fix with me, but now I'm considering to keep two cans, plus a 12V tire inflator as backup.....

Any hints or tips, VX'ers?.

Moncha
05/07/2005, 05:13 PM
In most cases, you will want to place your spare on the front, which means you'll have to move a front to the rear if the rear is what is blown.

here's more from a search (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=59810)

The Mouse
05/07/2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks, guys..... cyan328 has a good thread here also that is very helpful...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=5491

FLAVIOVX
05/07/2005, 07:03 PM
Hi everyone! It seems that who ever gets a flat, has a problem with the TOD. I can not speak for everyone, but I'm leaning toward buying a fifth custom wheel and tire, so that all will be in balance and at peace. Of course, this would mean that i will have to purchase a roof baskit to store it in, which brings me to a question. Does anyone know what other rack I can use for my VX? When I purchased it it did not have one. Thank you.

Moncha
05/07/2005, 08:07 PM
I'll split the thread for you so we hi-jack the original subject, or you can start a new one. There is lots of rack info already posted though.

iownvx
05/31/2005, 04:16 PM
HI

I'm suspecting the reason why people have problem with spare tire is that they have upgraded to bigger tires (other than they didn't follow instruction to rotate the spare to front). The circumference difference between stock and smaller spare tire is about 3%. Now if bigger tires are used the difference is going to be bigger and therefore causes problem to TOD.

So if you upgrade to bigger tires your spare is useless, unless you also upgrade to a bigger spare tire. Maybe we can do a group buy for bigger spare tire.

Or maybe try to deflate all other tires to 10 PSI when spare tire is used.

MZ-N10
05/31/2005, 06:35 PM
HI
Or maybe try to deflate all other tires to 10 PSI when spare tire is used.

uh...tat seems rather dangerous