PDA

View Full Version : Window tint

Veritech Jedi
05/05/2005, 05:39 AM
I am about to get my windows tinted before the heat gets really bad here in Florida. I have a Silver '00 VX and I am trying to decide what tint to get. One of my concerns is obviously with the visibility at night since the rear window visibility is already so obscured. I can go as dark as I want to though since they changed the law here in this state. I was considering going with a mirror tint since that would help visibility going out to remain high. I just really want to get it tinted but I don't want it to look bad so I thought I would ask those who have seen alot of examples and tap this resource. =)

What I would like is opinions from those of you here about how I should go with my tint: dark or mirror, very opaque or less opaque, etc. etc.

Any pictures you guys could post would be great.

Thanks in advance

Also I am in Orlando and if anyone knows of a good place to get my tint done here then by all means let me know!

Thanks again

XCross69
05/05/2005, 07:17 AM
I'm in Missouri...but when I had mine done I went with the darkest possible on the back 3 windows and then lightened it up on the p/d door windows. I figure you can't see out the back anyway (that good) so what does it matter how dark you go. Dark or mirror I think either would look great.

Moncha
05/05/2005, 07:25 AM
Here's a link to my gallery (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4) There are quite a few shots that show my tint.

Also, here is a link to my poor old delapidated site (http://www.moncha.com/vx_mods_frame.html), it got pushed to the back burner after developing this one but, is due for a resurrection! Hover your cursor over the window tint title on the page and you'll see the difference of no tint and with tint.

I went with "limo-black" 5% for all of the windows save for the two front door windows which are 20%.

As a law enforcement officer, I HATE mirror tint way more than really dark but plus, I don't think it looks very good, that is a decision you'll have to make

mbeach
05/05/2005, 09:48 AM
The previous owner of my Ironman had the windows tinted limo black all the way around. I really haven't gotten to replacing it with some good stuff yet. I can tell you that the dark stuff really impairs my night vision, I have to lean forward to look out the windshield when making left turns. Also, the side mirrors become useless.

On the WRX I had some bronze metallic tint that did wonders for keeping the interior temps down. It looked tasteful on a silver car, and it had excellent optical qualities. I only did the back three windows, and I always parked trunk to the sun.

Moncha
05/05/2005, 10:07 AM
Definately DO NOT do limo all the way around.. Even with the 20%, I find myself struggling at times.. I wouldn't change it but, I wouldn't do it again either.

mbeach
05/05/2005, 11:09 AM
+1 for no limo tint. It is way too dark, even when used on the back windows.

My LE buddies razz me about it all of the time. I've been searching for the same bronze high performance tint that I used to have.

SilverBullet75
05/05/2005, 11:17 AM
I on the other hand love my Limo tint... I got used to it after about a week. I have a feeling that it is not as dark as other limo tints though. My sister's Excursion has limo, and is impossible to see out of at night. Don't ask what brand or model I have though... I have no clue.. sorry. I had it done at a place called "The Custom Shop" in Las Vegas (if you wanted to ask them). Good luck!

TechnoPope
05/05/2005, 12:20 PM
On my ebony VX, I have a similar tint scheme to what Moncha and mbeach describe. It looks great but I cannot see anything at night. I can live without seeing out the back, but I have become frustrated with the frequent loss of my side mirrors in the darkness. Backing at night is a real problem as the backup lights do not illuminate enought to see anything in the side mirrors through the dark tint. I suggest that you do not get too carried away with tinting your door windows. You are lucky to have a silver VX since both mirror and dark could work. If mirror tinting would allow you to see out better, it might be a better choice. I once looked at a used silver VX that had heavy silver mirror tinted windows and a wide mirror eyebrow on the windshield. It also had a few chrome accents. It looked sharp to me. I may have a few pics on my home computer. If you want them, PM me with your email address.
Frank

Moncha
05/05/2005, 12:36 PM
... Backing at night is a real problem as the backup lights do not illuminate enought to see anything in the side mirrors through the dark tint.....

I swapped out the regular 1156 27 watt bulbs to 50watt halogen versions.. Helps a lot!

mbeach
05/05/2005, 12:59 PM
Lots of good info about tint here:
www.gilafilms.com

Technopope,
Saw your wife yesterday (on Riverside), then got a thumbs up from an Ebony on Bethel. It was the VXs' day out apparantly...

TechnoPope
05/05/2005, 01:23 PM
Moncha,
Thanks for the tip. I will give them a try. Do the halogens give you any trouble with heat or blow the fuse? Are they readily available?

mbeach,
She came home around 7pm last night and told me she passed that Ebony also. She said she thought it was me and wondered where I was going. That new Ebony is going to get me into trouble sometime.

Ldub
05/05/2005, 03:43 PM
I also have the 50w halogens, definite improvment, however I did notice some scorching of the reflector (chrome) inside the taillight last time I had the lens off.

johnnyapollo
05/05/2005, 05:19 PM
I've got 20% on the backs and 35% on the front-sides. That's about the legal limit in GA when you factor in the mild tinting the windows naturally have. I've traveled to FL many times and I'll have to say that it was still extremely effective, and my night vision is not obscured at all.

Go with a black tint instead of mirror - you'll see the black outlines in your windows with anything not black and it doesn't look very good. Just my 2 cents.

-- Best, John

Capt.Midnite
05/05/2005, 06:05 PM
I went with 5% all rear and 50% on fronts so far no problems.. :cool:

kpaske
05/05/2005, 07:23 PM
When I had mine done in MD, I went with the darkest possible which was I believe 35% on the sides and 5% the rest of the way back. The back is very dark at night, but I can still see enough using my side mirrors that I don't really worry when backing up. During the day I can see through the rear just fine (I gotten used to it). On an Ebony, the dark black looks great, in my opinion. The mirrored tint might look OK on a Silver VX, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen one to know for sure.

PUNISHER
05/07/2005, 09:37 AM
Hey I am out here in Orlando and I have 5% limo all around. I think that I have gotten used to it. Plus if you need the tinting done my brother does that for a living. If you want to check out my ride give me a call @ 407-925-6926 we will set it up. Right now I am about to go out to Daytona give a call my name is Artie.