PDA

View Full Version : Torsion bar adjustment reference point question

dkmiller68
05/03/2005, 09:58 AM
Last night I installed the larger rear springs. It looks like at dragster now with the back end much higher than the front...also seems like less road noise but could be my imagination. Tomorrow night the ball joints will be 'flipped' and torsion bars will be cranked. My question is this; "What is my reference point to adjust the VX to? I assume I want it to be level. Do I want to use a level on the frame in the middle of the VX? ...the window ledge?

Moncha
05/03/2005, 01:46 PM
On a flat and level surface, preferably smooth, use the highest point of the front wheel well arch as your reference point. There could/should be a slight difference between the two front sides allowing for the crown of the road. So make note of the measurement for BOTH sides BEFORE making any adjustments. Also, mark on the fenderwell, where you made the mesurement so you can go back to that reference point and make note to which side of the mark you placed the measuring device. Mark your set nut on the torsion bar, that way you can count rotations. It has been figured, approximately 8 rotations = 1". Do 1" at a time, alternating side until you have it where you want it. After you have made the adjustment, take you baby out for a short drive hopefully with some good compression dips to allow the front end to settle. Go back and check your measurements and adjust as necessary.
After you are all done, make sure to have an alignment done to correct for the changes you have made.

Tone
05/03/2005, 02:32 PM
An air impact wrench makes it MUCH easier (27mm socket) and if you lift the front of the vehicle with a jack, even more so and doable with a regular ratchet and a cheater pipe. I put a white mark on the t-bar nut so I can easily count the rotations.

dkmiller68
05/03/2005, 02:40 PM
That takes care of the left to right. As far as the allowing for road slant, I'll see what the pre adjust diff is and go with that. What about front to back? As I mentioned, I assume that perfectly (or nearly) level is best altho it looks kinda mean with this big slope from front to back right now. Thanks for the info...your procedure sounded familiar, I'm sure its been posted several times before. I did try to search it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Raque Thomas
05/03/2005, 07:13 PM
The VX does have a natural rake from front to back from the factory. I would think if you change this and set the suspension to be level, you would alter the geometry and change the handling. Sorry, but I do not know what the natural rake is - I just noticed that no one had answered this specific portion of your question.

SGT.BATGUANO
05/04/2005, 12:40 AM
search stock ride height or rake angle

Moncha
05/04/2005, 08:19 AM
If you do find it, let me know and I'll add it to the Knowledge Base (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?s=&mop=modload&file=index&name=Encyclopedia)