PDA

View Full Version : Tire Sizes affecting speedometer & ABS?

wekilled
05/02/2005, 10:43 PM
Question:

Anyone know if by changing tire sizes it will affect the ABS sensors? The tires I was looking at were about an inch taller than stock. So many people have non stock sizes I thought I could get some feedback. I was looking at 6 ply LT245/75R16 Destination M/Ts as I plan on doing some off-roading.

How bad will the street handling be with M/Ts?

I am assuming it will throw the speedometer off a little. Is there an easy way to recalibrate the speedometer without fancy tools?

Thanks

VX crazy
05/03/2005, 05:54 AM
An inch is not going to affect it significantly and there are electronic devices (tonemonday.com offers one from AutoTrans) to correct the speedo and ABS calculations. The tires you mention will be way better than stock offroad but will be noiser onroad. The taller sidewall will cause a slight delay in abrupt manuevers. A wider tire really improves the look of the VX and a 275 or 285 is the max you can put on the stock rim. You can search for what others have done similarly along with impressions on most tires out there.

cascabel3
05/03/2005, 10:01 AM
I use Tone's scan gauge and its speedometer readings after putting on 285' Nittos. There is quite a difference in speed, something like ten miles more actual at 80mph. So if I am reading 80 on the speedometer, the scan gauge will read that I am actually going 90mph. The good news is that this also means that I am getting better mileage than I read on my odometer. Of course, the scangauge calculates everything for me, trip, mpg etc.....

One thing you will notice is that you loose torque, hence your acceleration will be reduced. Off road I love my nittos. Noise wise I have not noticed a difference. Handling in curves feels better to me than with stock tires.