PDA

View Full Version : Drive train noise

PBR
03/22/2003, 06:02 AM
I also find the drive train to whine pretty good at speed does anyone else have this problem? And again what is the fix? I was considering Dynamat to quiet the vehicle is this worth the trouble or should I have the drive train looked at under warranty? thanks.

Tone
03/22/2003, 06:26 AM
Noise is typically from the TOD/transfer case and is normal on all 4WD vehicles to a degree - some of us have had them replaced and it may or may not return to the same intensity. Dynamat is great on the sides, doors, etc but I saw less return over the tranny hump - that needs an insulating style blanket of material that DM and others make.

Cobrajet
03/22/2003, 05:18 PM
I recently experienced a louder than normal drive train caused by two separate, though similar, situations. When I blew the right rear tire at 16K miles I replaced it with a new Bridgstone of the same type and size. Apparently there was just enough difference between the circumference of the new tire compare to the slightly worn tire on the other side to cause the differential to slip and make noise, especially under decelleration. I had just had the tires rotated, but moved the rears to the front, and this silenced the rear end. Then, last week I noticed the same noise again. Friday morning, while doing my normal pre-flight walkaround, I thought the right rear looked low. Sure enough, it read only 17 lbs. I pumped it back up to 37, and took my tire gauge with me to check it at work. Unfortunately, a check engine light just a quarter mile down the road (O2 sensor) convinced me to leave the VX home for the day, but it was quiet for the short time I drove it. I found a screw in the tread this morning, which turned into a big leak when removed. I put a plug in it, so it should be fine now.

It has been mentioned many times about not running the spare on the rear, but even a small mismatch can result in a noisy rear.

Anita
03/22/2003, 06:24 PM
Absolutely true...

For those who may not know, NEVER - NEVER run the spare donut on the rear wheels. You must switch with the same side front wheel to the back and place the donut on front.

If not... mucho problems awaits you.

Moncha
03/22/2003, 08:10 PM
Very true indeed!. I 'll noice that my right front will go a couple pounds difference in air pressure and the T-case will get louder. Especially around corners. Get them all to the same pressure and all is quiet again.

PBR
03/25/2003, 06:24 PM
I am definetly getting a whine between 60-80 mph, it goes away when I lift off acclerator, is this normal? Also have wind noise top of both doors, is this normal? will wind deflectors help?