PDA

View Full Version : Cassette CD adapter clicks XM radio

dkmiller68
05/02/2005, 05:49 AM
I am installing a XM Roady2 and have this problem....the cassette adapter that slides into the cassette player keeps clicking. (about 1 per .5 seconds)..I have tried turning it over...a second one...went and bought a new one; all to no avail. The VX manual doesn't mention how to make the tape go the other direction but I think that by flipping the cassette does the same. I have 'googled' with no luck. The manufacturer seems stumped...they suggested that I go but a Sony brand cassette adapter (I bought a Philips) as they heard that was the best (you gotta love customer service sometimes). This is not a VX problem, but any input would be welcome. And what about sound quality going thru the cassette player...the manual indicates that iit is only slightly less as good as plug and play into a head unit. The quality doesn't really seem too good thru the cassette unit (yes it play music in addition to the click). It even clicks when I play a regular cassette tape.

Moncha
05/02/2005, 07:42 AM
Is the click a mechanical one, or an electronic one? I use an adapter in my VX's system to tie my laptop in to it and get a slight hummmm but, but no clicks.
If I use the adapter in my patrol vehicles stereo, I hear a click but it a mechanical one, coming from the player itself. The adapter is kind of a cheezy solution to tie in and the quality has never been very good IMHO...

Tone
05/02/2005, 08:30 AM
If the click was there BEFORE using the adapter, then it isn't the adapter... time for cassette service or a new headunit, maybe one that is XM ready?

dkmiller68
05/02/2005, 09:27 AM
click is mechanical...was click there previously? dunno, I never played a tape since purchase of VX 1 year ago. When I try it now with a normal music cassette, it clicks. Maybe a new head unit will be in my near future.

Moncha
05/02/2005, 09:50 AM
Just a thought, have you run a tape cleaner through it?

Joe_Black
05/02/2005, 11:24 AM
Both my VX's did this with two different cassette adapters. I just switched to head units with auxiliary inputs, but if you don't want to do that look into an inline FM modulator as they work pretty good.

dkmiller68
05/02/2005, 11:59 AM
no cleaner yet...will try.

driver3
05/02/2005, 01:57 PM
Make sure you select dolby option.. it took the humming noise away... also mine clicks once, which must be deciding how to play, then it works. I use the roady fm modulator now, but I still use my tape adapter for my mp3 discman...

dkmiller68
05/04/2005, 04:49 PM
update...am now using the wireless FM transmitter mode to my radio and it works very well...sound quanitity is good and less wires. Thanks for the tips.

Cleaning didn't help...I suppose the cassette portion is shot (clicking and poor quality).