PDA

View Full Version : Front Fender Cladding replacement

alleycat
04/30/2005, 07:17 PM
Is there anyone out there who has removed the front fender cladding off their vehicle by drilling the rivets? My question is what do you replace the drilled rivets with when you put the cladding back on ? They are not ordinary rivets.

tomdietrying
04/30/2005, 07:24 PM
I've replace my front cladding. I forget the name of that type of screw, but it's very common. Go to Pep Boys and you can buy screw driver with that type of head to take them off. It should cost under $5. After you take them off, keep them and put them back on with the new cladding.
Peace.
Tom

thebear54
04/30/2005, 07:31 PM
Hey Guys...
The cladding is help up there with TORX screws and you can go to any parts store and get a T-30 TORX screwdriver to take the cladding right off.
NO DRILLING PLEASE :eek:
John

Jay Dunford
05/01/2005, 05:12 AM
Is there anyone out there who has removed the front fender cladding off their vehicle by drilling the rivets? My question is what do you replace the drilled rivets with when you put the cladding back on ? They are not ordinary rivets.

I replaced my drivers rear over 2 years ago and never put the rivets back in. The rivets are a hard to find very wide head and I figured there were more than enough screws and bolts around to hold it securely. It hasn't moved even through numerous offroad outings.

Moncha
05/01/2005, 07:56 AM
Moved out of "Site Problems and Questions" forum.

ron
05/01/2005, 11:34 AM
I believe the rivets you are referring to are located in the inside area of the wheel well that secure the front cladding as well. You really don't need to replace the rivets as they need to be replaced again if you plan to remove the cladding again in the future. The cladding is fine without them as they are held onto the vehicle with other security components.

However, if you need to replace them without question, take the ones you drilled out (what's left of them) and match it up with any you find on the market. You can also take the drill bit you drilled them out with and bring that as reference as the hole you create will be the same size for the rivet's shank size.

alleycat
05/01/2005, 01:00 PM
Ron
Thanks for the info and taking the time to answer my problem
ed

alleycat
05/01/2005, 01:08 PM
Hi
Thanks JAY,TOM, JAY,John also for your input on my question.
ed

glenwood
05/01/2005, 07:39 PM
Hi,
These rivots are used on many cars. You can go to any Volvo dealer. They use these on the inner fenders, and they're black. Ford or GM (can't remember) uses them to mount the window regulator to the door.