PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a SanFran Dealer for 60k service

protonvx687
04/30/2005, 02:45 PM
Hey guys. So, I just moved up to SF from LA this year. I feel like the only Vx in the Bay Area. Been off these boards for a loooong time (since it was SUV Mag), but i'm back now and still loving my Vx. [2000 Proton Yellow #687]

To the point, can anyone recommend a good dealer in Northern California for my 60k maintenace? For my 30k, I took it to the dealer Anita recommended in SoCal (don't remember who now) but those guys were great. Before that, I took it to the Cadillac dealer in Santa Monica only once and they were ********. I actually took the Vx back from them before they screwed up the work and got better advice, service and pricing.

My Vx is running great. I've done little other than basic maintenance over 5 years (first owner). For those of you who keep track of these things, here's my little todo list of maintenance coming up.
1. Driver's side window - duh. but i'd like someone who's done a few of these.
2. Missing an antena - damn car wash guys took it off and forgot to replace it and I didn't notice till too late. are these hard to get as parts? I like the little curly-queue thing and my radio reception stinks now.
3. Center console - has anyone else had this problem that the center console rips off the screws? it's so cheaply done, i'm sure others have seen this. Will do a search on here in a second but will probably need a replacement part. ???
4. Headlight seals - i'm going to do these myself. thanks for the advice on the boards. can someone recommend a good sealant? i don't do this kinda stuff too often and living downtown with no garage limits how many bottles of stuff I keep around. someone recommended the black 3M stuff, and it made sense that a black or clear epoxy made the most sense.

That's it. Oil and filter changes and over 5 years, these are all the problems i've had with this car. She rocks. Maybe now that she's 5 and out of warranty, i'll be willing to come to some of the meets and let her be beat up a bit. We've been to Moab and I have pics somewhere (but no off-roading).

MZ-N10
04/30/2005, 08:07 PM
hey, a fellow norcal vxer....ive only been to a isuzu dealer once to get a replacement window....they seemed ok, mostly a dodge dealer, but theyre located on boardway in oakland. im sure theres better dealers in sf but tat one was the closes to me....
________
Stripp4u (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Stripp4u)

ron
05/01/2005, 12:06 PM
What's up!

Not familiar with any dealers on the west side of the bay. But here's my experience with the east bay side dealers: I've been to the Oakland dealer and they seem alright in terms of service. The one in San Leandro WAS great at one time until they screwed up something in a TOD sensor replacement issue and also charged me $75 for tightening a coolant hose clamp from leaking. :mad: Not recommended. There was one in the Fremont Auto mall that was decent but they no longer service Isuzus. I thinks there's one in Dublin but I haven't had the chance to check them out yet.

There was a dealer in San Jose on Capitol Expressway that I used to go to when I lived in the area. But, I heard they "may have" moved or no longer servicing Isuzus. But, they were the best and really took care of you professionally and even washed your vehicle after each service without charge! I can't remember the service tech's name but he was the main guy there and was really respectful and kept you up to date what was going on with you vehicle at all times. Finding a conveniently located and knowledgeable dealer is rare and unfortunately an ongoing quest for many VXers. If you find one that you feel comfortable with , no matter the distance, stick with them as Isuzu dealers seem to become as common as the dodo bird.

Here's a few suggestions to your list of to dos:

1. Do a search on this as there is a realy easy way to fix this issue by bending a couple of internal metal window components ever so slight to free up the binding issue.

2. Antenna is easy to replace. Check out St. Charles Isuzu to get the best price with fast and free shipping. You can also replace with an alternative aftermarket one from ebay if you want a different look. I believe they are the same used on many Volkswagen vehicles that have the same attachment.

3. Haven't heard any issues about the center console other than the square cupholder issue. Luckily, I'll be designing another updated version of the console which should replace the exisiting one without modification to anything. Also, it WILL have at least one decent siz cupholder maybe two.

You can use washers to help secure the screws with the console as a temporary fix in the mean time.

4. Not sure which seal you're referring to on the headlights. The most common seals that come loose are fixed around the perimeter of the headlight housing. These can be resecured with any rubber adhesive like rubber cement or even crazy glue. I used the crazy glue (gel version) and two years later no issues.

If you're referring to the actual sealant that hold both the internal housing and clear lens cover of the actual headlight, then go with the clear silicone sealant/adhesive as you will see the black through the clear lense.

Good luck and let us know if you have any further q's.

ps. I'm curious if there is enough interest in a possible bay area meet in the future.

protonvx687
05/01/2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. I for one would definitely be interested in a NorCal Vx Meet. I have a couple friends/workmates who are into performance driving, and i'd like to talk to some Vx'ers about specific mods and improvements. Also, i'd just be stoked to go camping/trailing at some of the awesome locations up here.

I'll see if I can check out the San Jose dealer. I am going to be out of town for a week in May, so I was planning on leaving my Vx with them while they do the maintenance anyway. I checked out the one at Serramonte, but they no longer do service. They recommended the guys in Oakland, but couldn't get a hold of them on a Saturday.

1. I'm a bit intimidated by rebending the windows myself. But i'll give it a shot if that's all it is. I've got to figure that even if I find the best guy in the country at it, he could only have done it a few dozen times himself. So, why are we paying someone to do something we could do even if it takes me twice as long. Still, I don't want to bust anything, so i'll search and read the instructions carefully.

2. Awesome, will order an antenae today.

3. The square console issue is that the leather-clad padded rectangular arm rest ripped away from the hing a long time ago. Looking into that joint, it's kind of a strange installation and difficult to get a screwdriver in there without taking the whole thing apart. I'll have to go look at it again, but I remember that the arm-rest portion where the screws go into had stripped out where they receive the screws. I could probably fill it up with some type of material and reset the screws in there, but the joint seemed implicitly weak to begin with...two metal screws.

4. These are the weatherstripping seals around the perimeter. I do have crazy glue lying around and that's a great suggestion.

GOVEHIX
05/01/2005, 02:25 PM
if theres any northern cal vx meet, pleace let me know too, i also live in the sf~

FirstVinylist
04/06/2006, 03:25 PM
Just wondering if anyone found a good Bay Area dealer yet.

Numba1goalie
04/07/2006, 09:12 AM
I go to Barber Vallejo if I need anything serious done. They have pretty fair prices too. It would be about 45 minutes from you.

marcosv6
04/07/2006, 02:35 PM
If there's a Bay Area get-together, I'm in...if you guys can handle a 58 year old tagging along! I'm about 2 hours north in Willits.

Numba1goalie
04/07/2006, 04:36 PM
Count me in too. I say we do a wheeling get together.