PDA

View Full Version : Engine dying while stopped?

JAFO
03/21/2003, 03:24 PM
Has anyone had problems with there VX occationally dying while stopped at stoplights? Mine has done this twice. No check lights, guages look fine, fluid levels are fine. Never had a problem restarting. It doesn't seem to be idling rough either.:confused:

Tone
03/21/2003, 05:37 PM
When did you change your fuel filter last? Hot or cold temps outside? How long after starting engine did it occur? Sitting still, stopping or accelerating from idle?

JAFO
03/22/2003, 01:56 PM
Well, I just got it about a month and ahalf ago. I'm assuming its still got the original fuel filter, cold to mild (55 high/33 low), had been running 10 to 20 minutes, and sitting still for several minutes. AC was probably on as it has been cycling the defrost with the climate controls in auto.

I have also noticed sometimes you really have to push the brake down hard as it occationally pushes forward at a stop. Sometimes more than others.

JAFO
03/31/2003, 03:19 PM
I'm going to take my VX into the dealership tomorrow for a oil change, fuel filter, and a couple of warranty items, headlight gasket and seat release lever. Is there anything that I should have them do besides the fuel filter? Injector cleaning, spark plugs???

AlaskaVX
03/31/2003, 05:12 PM
How many miles do you have on it? If less than 12,000 (even if not try to get it replaced) check your wheels for bubbling/cracking, it seems to be a poular one. Also check the hood insert to see if its cracked, a lot of people have had these problems. Just a couple things to check before you go to the dealer.

SGT.BATGUANO
03/31/2003, 08:00 PM
TCC? Torque convertor clutch or actuator? Sometimes the convertor lockup switch/ solenoid can cause a problem similar to what you've described.

andy454
04/01/2003, 06:54 AM
If it is a tcc staying engauged it will be a very harsh stall. Just like stopping with a man trans and not pushing in the clutch. Very harsh!!

JAFO
04/01/2003, 08:39 AM
It has 25K miles, and when it stalls I actually didn't notice it until I when to push on the gas to go at a green light and it didn't go. Of course I was playing the radio both times but still didn't feel rought.:confused:

Grant Eaton
04/09/2003, 08:53 PM
Mine did the same thing the other day at a light. I had the radio on and didn't even notice because it was such a soft stall. Just breaking coming to a light and the car shut itself off. My fueld level was medium-low (not unusual at all for me). The only thing I can think of is I had added a can of some kind of cleaner to the fuel tank on that particular tank of fuel. It was a new cleaner I hadn't used before... brand name like Chevron I think... anyway, I'll worry about it if it happens again. My VX has 32,000 miles.

brian lenke
04/16/2003, 08:25 PM
mine did that too. dealer said it was all computer stuff. (mass airflow sensor and ECM) is you airfilter aftermarket? do you need to use filter oil? that oil will atomize and corrupt sensor readings in the intake and air/o2/fuel areas - causing your anti pollution crap to overload and trick your engine into running lean and starving it of fuel. This was my problem at least.

cooks 7
09/16/2003, 07:07 AM
Bringing to life this old thread. My VX has done this 3 times now. Always after it's warmed up, not necessarily in any one kind of weather, no lights, always starts right up, no modifications have been done to the VX. It always dies when rolling to or sitting at a light. I am going to do some routine maintenance to make sure its nothing like that. New air filter, new fuel filter, plugs, fluids ect, getting ready for winter anyway. Hopefully that will solve it. Has anybody figured out why theirs died?

AREA 51
09/16/2003, 09:37 AM
Have the fuel pressure regulator checked?

Nerfzooka
04/14/2004, 07:27 AM
It happened to me last night. It's a really quiet stall, while sitting at a stop light. Starts right back up no problem. Outside temp 75, 3/4 tank of gas,oil level fine. 48K miles on my baby, no rough idle, no oil consumption, no fluxuating RPMs, no check engine lights, no warnings. If I find a dirty filter or low fluid level I'll post here.

sveltax
04/14/2004, 08:33 AM
I had a similar problem with a GT Ford Mustang and after the idle control valve was replaced the problem disappeared. I had a fluctuating idle and it would stall while at stop lights or stop signs. The Mustang is also was an automatic.

SPAZZ
04/14/2004, 10:11 AM
my VX has this starting issue. Every once in a while I attempt to start my VX and it will die. Opening the gas tank and closing then starting does not help. I must keep gas pressed enough so it will not die, then put it in drive while still pressing gas.

If in a forward driving it will not die. Neutral it will die, but in reverse it may or may not die. if I come to a stop, the RPM guage goes way down and VX alomost stalls and almost dies. Some times it does die when I come to a stop during this starting issue.

then after a while it goes back to normal. I cleaned EGR and changed out PCV valve...and it continues to do this.

FeatherFoot
04/14/2004, 03:23 PM
Usually, It is only an intake leak somewhere. Get some WD 40 and spray around the intake. the motor will speed up when you find the right area.then you can look for the exact place.

FF

Swordy
04/16/2004, 04:22 AM
My Vx used to do that when it was new. I never did figure out what caused it, but after a while it just quit happening and I haven't had the problem since. Maybe the piston return springs weren't tightened correctly? j/k
Let us know if you figure it out, I'm betting from the way it felt that it was fuel related, like the computer for some reason was calling for it to idle lower than the motor was capable of. When I If I kept my foot on the gas enough to keep it from dying and then put it in gear the problem it called for a slightly different idle speed and everything would be fine. does that sound like the same problem?
Andy

Teckhardt
04/25/2004, 01:30 PM
Mine is doing the same thing - dying when you start unless you hold down the gas.

Has anyone discovered the fix for this?

dogue
04/25/2004, 06:05 PM
Mine did this once (when I had one:(.) It ended up being the fuel pump and regulator.

Terry

volume311
04/25/2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Teckhardt
Mine is doing the same thing - dying when you start unless you hold down the gas.
Has anyone discovered the fix for this?

http://www.geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm

Read number 22. My Rodeo Sport had the same intermittent problem. Easy fix if you have nimble fingers.;eekg;

Teckhardt
04/25/2004, 09:26 PM
When I started up tonight, the engine reved to 2K rpm and stayed there. I drove around the block for 5 mins and it went back down.

First it was stalling and now a high idle. What is up???

volume311
04/27/2004, 07:33 AM
Yep, mine did similar things. It would start "good" on a cold start, meaning after a night of being parked, it would rev up to 1200-1500rpm. Then drop down to idle after a lilttle warm up, but I think thats normal, the 2000 rpm is kinda high tho.

The main problem I had was after driving and parking it. When I would get back to start it, no matter if 15 minutes passed or three hours, from time to time I would have to crank it over 2 or 3 times, each for excess of 5 seconds, giving it gas actually helped but once it resulted in a back fire, actully had a puff of smoke comeout the intake ;eekr;. The problem died down lately but still popped in once in a while. Finally I saw the info I posted above and fixed it a week ago with a new fuel pressure regulator. No problems since and it starts now the second I turn the key;Do;

-Mark

Nerfzooka
06/29/2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Nerfzooka
It happened to me last night. It's a really quiet stall, while sitting at a stop light. Starts right back up no problem. Outside temp 75, 3/4 tank of gas,oil level fine. 48K miles on my baby, no rough idle, no oil consumption, no fluxuating RPMs, no check engine lights, no warnings. If I find a dirty filter or low fluid level I'll post here.

It's been six months since that post. Recently my buggy took a little longer to start. Then it wouldn't start at all and I replaced the battery. All is well now. I'm wondering if that single stall in Jan. was a warning of a dying battery.

skavoovie
07/06/2004, 07:45 PM
Help on this topic please..Anybody find the cause of this happening..have taken it to the dealer twice and they can't find the problem!!

Triathlete
07/06/2004, 08:25 PM
I used to have problem with my VX stalling out from time to time when it was hot out side. I found it was cured by taking off the gas cap and then putting it back to rellieve the pressure of what I'm guessing was the gas expanding when hot. If nothing else its free and easy. Hope it helps.

gavx
11/04/2004, 06:29 AM
Yesterday, my VX stalled after starting. I had it happen once before when pulling to a stop at a light, and also had one case of the engine racing during idle.

The dealer just told me it was an idle control switch/sensor that needs replacing.

With all the reports of this issue here, it sounds like VXs are prone to this problem.