PDA

View Full Version : Local 60k service prices

UNEVEN THOUGHTS
04/26/2005, 11:03 AM
Here is the 60k maintenance package and prices from my local dealer, let me know what you guys think about these prices and if there's anything missing that I should have done. Location: Dick Bournival on Rt.1 in Portsmouth, NH

60K package is $399.95 and includes

-oil and filter change
-check all fluid levels
-inspect brake lines, and fluid
-lube body, chassis, accelerator linkage and rear drive shaft
-rotate tires
-check clutch fluid level
-steering operation inspection
-inspect front & rear drive shafts and flange tourque
-inspect suspension system
-started safety switch inspection
-coolant system inspection and fluid level check
-wiper blades
-exhaust system check
-inspect brakes and adjust if needed (front,rear and parking)
-lube key lock cylinder
-change front and rear axl oil
-change transfer case oil
-replace air filter
-repack front wheel bearings
-inspect engine drive belt
-check shift on the fly system gear oil
-check cruise control linkage and hoses

EXTRAS

-change power steering fluid 38.50
-Change transmission fluid 89.95
-replace engine coolant 49.95
-clean radiator core and a/c condenser 25.00
-replace timing belt 232.50
-replace spark plugs (platinum plugs) 131.50

Tone
04/26/2005, 01:10 PM
Check you manual or Workshop CD for the stuff they are missing that are pretty critical - diff drain and fill, TOD drain and fill, wheel bearing repack, and adjust valve clearance (if needed). Timing belt is listed at 100K (severe duty 75K), plugs at 100K. Tranny FILTER is a huge thing they are missing - even if you have had it flushed and filled, filter is sooooo important - call any tranny shop and they'll tell you to change it well before 60K. New tranny is only $3500....

$131 for spark plugs! Such a deal....NOT.

driver3
05/02/2005, 07:12 AM
I'm at 90K... I'm going to get the timing belt done very soon. I just got a quote from the isuzu dealer for 450... are you kidding me?? Tone, I've done my wheelbearings and put your hitch on and done spark plugs and brakes... I watched you guys take apart phines radiator.. can I do this myself? Also, I know the dealer is way overpriced, but I'm new to the area, I need to find a shop to check their prices.

driver3
05/02/2005, 07:26 AM
Did some more searching... Here was Tone's reply to that same question

"Timing belt can't slip since it is cogged or if it did, you wouldn't be driving! Engine is NON-INTERFERENCE so if you put it off and it goes, it won't trash engine but again you won't be driving. Water pump and timing belt tensioner are must replacements when doing the timing belt. Oil pump can also be replaced at this time I believe and is a good investment.

Replacement procedure is documented on the Workshop CD (downloadable from my site) but is more than I would be willing to do - a LOT of things have to come off the front of the engine and an another member has already found out the hard way, it the belt is not put on correctly (even ONE tooth off), everything will have to be dissassembled AGAIN to resolve it. If you have replaced timing belts before, should not be a problem, but definitely NOT for the new do it yourselfer.
"
Just wanted to add that so you dont' have to reply if you don't want to.

Francesco Rizzo
05/02/2005, 08:55 AM
a dealership buddy, toyota, told me some I should get someone other than a dealership to do it. I went to firestone's in orlando, a NY one gave me a good uote once, but these guys wanted over 500 just to do the timing belt (~200), plugs (~130), flush the power stearing(70) and breaks(50), and than cost of timing belt was another 50 bucks. wow 130 just for the plugs!... ok, it cost 25 bucks for the six plugs, I'll do that myself. The isuzu dealerships of NY told me that due to the harder windters of the north, it would be wise to do the timing belt and plugs at 75K... which is where I am.

Numba1goalie
10/19/2005, 12:51 PM
I am curious to know what the procedure is of repacking your wheel bearing. I set an appointment up for next wednesday at the stealership for that job, but if it is easier then I think then I will do it myself. if they have to take axle shafts and stuff off I was thinking about getting new boots on.

the dealership quotes me at $150-$250 so im not so worried about prices that much.

As far as a timing belt goes, I would jump on that $450 deal. It is better then what other places ask for other cars. When I had my VW Golf turbo, they told me they wanted $1100 to do that with all replacment parts included!!!!! :confused:

Numba1goalie
10/19/2005, 07:20 PM
No comprende? TO THE TOP!

WormGod
10/20/2005, 07:48 AM
I just had my 30k done for a whopping $260 total. They did everything BUT the repacking. Its funny but everywhere I have gone, the "recommend" that you NOT do it. They all agree that there is no need unless you are an heavy offroad user in dirt, sand, and water. Normal wear and tear will last a good 60-80k miles, so they claim. So, I passed. Decided not to have them done.

I did look into doing this on my own and it looks like it would take up a good chunk of a day's time. However, I dont have the resources i used to have for this work so I passed on doing it on my own as well.

I dont know if I am just plain procrastinating or if I really think these shops are actually right. Needless to say, she runs better than ever so I am in no hurry.

Oh, I am under the impression that if someone will do it for you under $200, then that is a pretty good deal. I dunno personally though.

Dare2Dream
10/20/2005, 10:39 AM
Worm, what were the things they did for the 30K service. I don't mean 'check this' but real work. I'm guessing it didn't include any thing to do with the transmission.

Numba1goalie
10/20/2005, 11:01 AM
well im hitting my 60K so thats why I wanted the repacking done. But could you tell me whatexactly is done when you repack the bearings, I know this is noobish but where are the bearing located? and why dont I just have them replaced?

WormGod
10/20/2005, 03:28 PM
I dont know off the top of my head, but everything listed in the manual. Ya, most of it was checking and inspecting stuff, but there were some fluid flushes/changes involved. I also had them fix my hood which wasnt opening properly and a tire plug cause I had a screw in a tire.

They were pretty dead that day so they even threw in a full detail for free, heh. She looked good, smelled good, and drove wonderful.

Typically, $260 sounds heavy, but at the same time, I like these guys and may make them my new shop. They like the VX a LOT and always stand around asking me about it and telling me what I should do to it, so thats pretty good reassurance that they will take care of her.