PDA

View Full Version : Rear camera problem.

David Wiltshire
03/21/2003, 11:13 AM
I wonder if anyone can help me. I recently took delivery of my Blue VX, when I bought the vehicle the guy I bought it from said that the reason the rear camera was not working was because the drivers window went down and stuck. After raising the window he said he disconnected the small plug on the inside of the door. Once I got the vehicle home I removed the door panel and altered the ruuner frame as detailed in the V Mag article and re-connected the small plug thinking that that was it, I also ensured that the plug on the door handle was connected the passenger window left hand side works O.K. but the drivers window (right hand) does not work nor does the display on the camera screen all other functions seem to work i.e. when reverse is engaged a little light comes etc. and the hifi system works but no display. Does anybody have any experience with the camera to enable me to trace the fault. Secondly does the wiring on my model imported into the U.K. differ in its wiring to the American model? Can anybody reccomend a good dealer who can mail me parts to the U.K. I think I may need a new window regulator.

coachreed
03/31/2003, 07:29 PM
OK, stupid question... camera? I don't have a VX yet, so I don't know these things, but what are you talking about? Is it somekind of rear view camera? If so, where does it get displayed? Is this STANDARD on ALL VX's? Thanks in advance.

Coach... aka Randy!

SGT.BATGUANO
03/31/2003, 08:53 PM
I really can't think of a relationship between the camera and driver-side (master) window control, other than possibly a fuse(s) or relay.

Only Japan or overseas VX's came with the rear view camera. When shifted into reverse, a shutter under the cladding on the rear door, would open and the camera would be activated.

Check all of your fuses. Other than that , it could be a relay or shifter interlock problem. There may be more wires disconnected in the spare tire area of the rear door. It may require the circuit to be traced out , as the previous owner seems to have done a bit of electrical improvisation.

At your own risk, you could try blocking all tires from forward AND rearward motion, set the emergency brake, turn ignition on, but

DO NOT START!

Hold the footbrake, put it in reverse. Release the foot brake slowly.

If the VX is secure,

( DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!)

get out and see if the shutter is open. It's under the half - moon shaped piece of cladding on the rear door.

It's IMPERATIVE THAT YOU MAKE SURE THE VX IS WELL SECURED BEFORE YOU LEAVE IT UNATTENDED AND GET BEHIND IT WHILE IT'S IN REVERSE. If possible , have a TRUSTED friend or relative hold the footbrake while you inspect the shutter.

Now, put the VX in Park and see if the shutter closes.

I've seen camera shutters and lens covers cause numerous photography problems over the years. With any luck, that may be the only problem in your situation.

Good luck

David Wiltshire
04/01/2003, 10:17 AM
Hi coacheed and SGT BATGUANO,

First of all coachreed the rear view camera only appears as standard in european models as far as i can see (no pun intended)

Secondly thanks for the reply SGT BATGUANO I have traced the problem to the backlight display on the centre hifi, sat nav and rear view camera display screen which is hopefully now on its way to Japan to get sorted. I still have the window problem which I am in the process of sorting
Best regards
David Wiltshire

JAFO
04/01/2003, 01:01 PM
>> Is it somekind of rear view camera? If so, where does it get displayed?

Here's a picture of the European setup.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/319vx_monitor_2.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/319vx_monitor.jpg

BTW I have found a site on the internet that sells carbon fibre dash kit for this setup. Only problem is it for the right-hand steering configuration. Anyone know where to get this dash pannel in the American version so that I can put a monitor like this in my VX?

IsuZOOM
04/01/2003, 01:27 PM
When you see "carbon fiber dash kit" or "wood dask kit" it's generally a thin piece of veneer that you stick to the dash. It's not a new dash panel that lets you mount a radio or anything!

coachreed
04/02/2003, 03:11 AM
It would be MUCH easier to add this kind of monitor/headunit if they had put the stock headunit AND cd changer in the same spots... that looks like a double-DIN headunit. I know I have seen one that looks just like the one pictured, but without a double-DIN location, its gonna be kinda tough to do this. I personally plan to add an indash, flipout monitor to the upper location and my AM/FM/CD/DVD headunit to the locationi where the factory cd changer is. I will be hooking up a rearview camera to it and will set it up so that the rearview camera over rides any other video signal when in reverse. Of course, I also plan to have a couple monotors in the rear as well... its a sickness for me... gotta have too much A/V junk in my cars... my son appreciates my sickness. ;pb; ;Db;

Now, if someone does have a double din solution for the upper location, definitely lemme know. That would be much better than having things split between the two locations.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

coachreed
04/03/2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by JAFO
BTW I have found a site on the internet that sells carbon fibre dash kit for this setup. Only problem is it for the right-hand steering configuration. Anyone know where to get this dash pannel in the American version so that I can put a monitor like this in my VX?

Do ya have a linky to the dash kit you were talking about? Doesn't matter if its CF or whatever... just would be nice to see and know for sure that I could get a double-DIN headunit in there. I would probably just flush mount a 7" widescreen monitor in there and put my DVD player down in place of the CD changer. Then I can just have a switcher that automatically switches to the rear view mirror when putting the VX in reverse.

I look forward to seeing what you have found.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

xdfarrx
04/03/2003, 03:12 PM
I needed to say the right side driver and dash mount set up looks tight! Clean ride you got there. Makes me feel like mine is totally generic

dutchie
04/03/2003, 04:12 PM
Hi, it's been a long time since I posted on this board and thanks to Scott, I'm able to do so again.

First of all, there is not such a thing as an European VX. The VX was only sold in Japan and the US. The right-hand side steering wheel VX as sold in England and Australia are bought in Japan at the auction and shipped to those countries.
Second hand cars in Japan are often in very good nick, since the Japanese drive a little(too busy, and perfect public transport). Since Japanese houses are real rabbit holes, and really nice houses are out most people's reach, people spent most of their money on cars, cleaning, tuning etc.
Further in Japan we have a "shaken" or commonly known as "shake down" system, which makes you pay a $1500,- after the first three years of owning a new car and every two years after the first one.
The "shaken" is a required check of your car at an authorized dealer, even if your car is in perfect state, they still charge you at least $1000 in taxes and labour costs.
This scheme is set up by the government to force people to buy new cars, and it works well.
So you can find lots of great cars, say 4 years old with only 20.000k on the meter!
About the camera problem, I'll ask VX whizz Naoki, but I don't think it has anything to do with your windows or door. Most likely is that they took out a fuze(fuse, how do you spell that?).
Your fuzebox is located on the right side of your dash.
What you can also do, is connect a extra camera and plug it in your "video in". I did, so now I have a camera for when I'm driving(it's always on) and the original cam for when I back up.

David Wiltshire
04/08/2003, 01:26 PM
Hi dutchie,

Thanks for the reply, It would appear that the backlight to the LCD screen has broken and I have someone looking into replacing it. The problem I have is that I bought the vehicle from a guy who had let it deteriorate a little i.e no grease in the propshaft couplings an ancient black air filter and hardly any oil.
I have of course addressed these problems but the display unit may have to be replaced does anyone have any contacts in Japan who may be able to source a replacement unit preferebly original equipment Addzest as fitted. I think the window problem may have been a seperate incident

ameetw
12/14/2003, 05:28 AM
Hi Dutchie

What you can also do, is connect a extra camera and plug it in your "video in". I did, so now I have a camera for when I'm driving(it's always on) and the original cam for when I back up.

How do you get the camera to show while driving... Mine shows Audio only..... any bypass or splicing of the wires... Pull your hand brake up slightly..?

Thanks...

lenny
12/14/2003, 08:13 AM
hi david

i have a spare head unit for sale if you are interested just make me an offer

surfindonesia
12/14/2003, 08:33 AM
interesting how U.S. models dont come with camera

LNF
12/19/2003, 02:44 PM
Hi David,

I saw your photos of your VX.

Are there any other blue (or non-standard) colored VXs out there, US, UK or otherwise???

LNF.

SGT.BATGUANO
12/19/2003, 10:43 PM
The Japan version was offered in at least 16 (that I'm sure of) and possibly up to 39 different colors. I'm sure that one of our Japan info archivists can confirm or correct the number.

johnnyapollo
12/20/2003, 09:06 AM
25 colors...

davidashaw
08/25/2004, 10:37 AM
Hi
Just purchasing a (new!) 1999 Jap VX found in a dealers yard not uesd or registered. 25 miles run! Does anyone have an English version of the Jap user instructions for this set up? My JP is not up to working out the set up. although it is working a treat. There seem to be lots of options about the camera angle and view.

BritVX
08/25/2004, 04:02 PM
David W,

Like you I found my camera didn't work but when I got the camera out I found my problem was water ingress, it's totally US and I'm about to fit a different model, the original from Clarion is £360!

Second David,

How lucky can you get!! I would love to have one in that condition I'm going to have to do a load of work on mine to get it looking good. If you find an owners manual please let me know.

I wonder how many VX's are in the UK, maybe we could be sad sacks and have a meet.

Col

ameetw
08/25/2004, 04:11 PM
Congrats on your purchase. unregistered..? rare vere rare indeed. You are one lucky person. :)

thedutchguy
08/26/2004, 03:31 AM
zanon is bust.
You can pick up a rear view camera for 70 euro.
At one of the zanon dealers.
Great deals on tft panels as well.

David Wiltshire
08/28/2004, 03:04 AM
Hi davidashaw,
I have the Japanese version of the VX here in the U.K. I have tried to alter settings on the camera angle but have not noticed any difference. There are quite a few U.K. owners who use this brilliant site, Initially I thought there were only about half a dozen V.X's in the U.K. but I think the figure is nearer 20 now, I live in the south near Portsmouth where are you based?

dutchie
08/28/2004, 08:58 AM
I have tried to alter settings on the camera angle

Forget it, because you can't....;)

You can change the position of your monitor....
But the cam will only work in reverse and always in the same angle.

sam
01/20/2006, 03:54 PM
Just to let u know that I had camera problems after some time, but I sent it off to Clarion UK who returned it fixed and working.

I got a price quote for a replacement original reversing camera from Japan, but the costs I was looking upto £1000!!!!!

It in the end cost me £30 to get Clarion UK to have a look at mine - and a drive down to Swindon UK to their offices!

Sam

newthings
01/20/2006, 05:53 PM
Hi Sam,
Swindon is near North Hampton, is it not?
I spent 3 months at the Plessy Research Labs in Caswell and lived in the little village of Pattishall.
Nice country.
Cheers, Roy