PDA

View Full Version : Center Bore Drilling?

Medman
04/26/2005, 09:40 AM
Just wondering if anybody out there has had to drill a larger center bore in order to get their new wheels to fit correctly. Does this change the integrity of the wheel dramatically? Any info, much appreciated.

Joe_Black
04/26/2005, 10:24 AM
I had to relieve the center bore on the Nissan Frontier wheels I got for rally, but I used a die-grinder for that and just removed a little material. It depends a great deal on the wheel though. Your best bet is to take them to your local machine shop and let them advise you and also perform the work. This is a very simple procedure for any basic machine shop and should cost you less than $100 for all four wheels. Even though only the front wheels require it, you'll still want to be able to rotate your wheels if needed.

morgan-tec
04/26/2005, 06:07 PM
I had to open up the bore in my new 22s, i used the machine center (mill) at the shop. Took about one hour with setup. I went from a 74mm to a 108mm and went 9mm deep. You could really weeken a wheel if you take out to much metal so be careful.

Swordy
04/26/2005, 10:41 PM
Just make sure you take the metal off all the sides fairly evenly so that tightening your lug nuts centers your wheel. If the hole through the wheel binds on the hub while tightening it, your wheel will be running off center. If I remember right Our hubs are 99mm.