PDA

View Full Version : Running with the spare tire question

dkmiller68
04/25/2005, 03:34 PM
What happens if you use a spare tire (I'm not near the VX now to go check, and am thinking the stock spare is smaller diameter) that is smaller diameter than the other tire on the front? Would this cause damage? I suppose that with a locker this would be a big no-no; but what about the stock running gear? And, if this is a bad situation, maybe this would be a good reason to have a TOD disconnect switch?

Anita
04/25/2005, 04:43 PM
The spare donut should always be used on a front wheel. So if you have a flat on a rear tire you will need to move a front wheel back and put the spare on the front. Definitely go slow and limit the number of miles you ride with the spare on.

Auto-racer just had an experience with a flat and he posted this info:

"I did learn a few tricks when it comes to driving with the spare and TOD. Left foot brake when you come up to a light with light throttle. Otherwise the TOD makes a nasty noise as it downshifts. Also drive slow as the instructions say... Otherwise the Tod senses road speed differences and starts to engage/disengage 100% and makes a very nasty grinding noise. I found I could stop this with left foot braking again... Just step on brake while still on gas to disengage TOD".

I dont think it is only the TOD that is affected - was there something concerning the differential that causes a bigger problem (?)