PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shocks??

bigdogdeee
04/20/2005, 01:22 PM
So I brought in my new/used VX to the isuzu dealer in town last night for a full inspection, and they didn't find much wrong!!! They did say it appeared that one of the rear shocks was leaking fluid? They quoted me almost 450.00 just for the shock? is that right? has anyone else dealt with this problem? Other then that, and the passenger window not tracking right (surprise surprise) the bad boy is in pretty much tip top shape, which makes me really happy.

VCrossfan
04/20/2005, 01:34 PM
Alot of Vcross owners replaced the factory shocks with the Rancho RS9000X Fully adjustable and still on sale. A set for $219.95 at your door. I love mine. Link below..

http://www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/rancho.htm

mbeach
04/20/2005, 01:56 PM
They quoted me almost 450.00 just for the shock? is that right?

That's correct. I've never seen them any cheaper than $400 a corner.

Chopper
04/20/2005, 04:19 PM
Ditto what Mbeach said.... 4-4.5 is about right. I don't agree with the Rancho replacements tho. The KYB's you have are gonna be tough to beat IMO. The Rancho shocks are a bit softer... even dialing the adjustables down hard they never felt "reassuring" near the limits. Seems the KYB's were part of the chassis formula from the beginning. Bilsteins may be a better choice, I don't know. I'd spend the money

crager34
04/21/2005, 04:25 AM
I have the RS9000x shocks and love em....for the price and the ride.

VehiGAZ
04/21/2005, 05:06 AM
I recently discovered that my VX (purchased in December) had its OE shocks replaces with wimpy KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (which are not adjustable, as one might think). The Isuzu dealer quoted me $427 plus tax for each OEM shock, and laughed when he told me, too. I have ordered the Bilsteins (B46-1738-H1 fronts and B46-1739-H1 rear), and will be putting them on sometime in the next couple of weeks. I don't have a stock ride to compare to, but I will be able to report what the ride feels like soon.

I decided against the Ranchos for two reasons: 1) because many posters said they needed to set them at the highest stiffness settings for an adequate ride, which means there ain't much headroom left on them, and 2) because the Ranchos only adjust the bump rate, not the rebound, which I think is the more important adjustment to get an "althletic" feel from the suspension.

Your VX may still be under warranty for the shocks, depending on year and mileage, so don't lose out on a free replacement of your leaker!

Reg Hinnant
04/21/2005, 10:13 AM
You can get the stock shocks from St Charles Isuzu for a lot less than $450 ea.
Call Merlin for a quote.
The stock shocks are one of the items that make this an exceptional handling vehicle.
Why degrade it with ordinary shocks? :confused:

VCrossfan
04/21/2005, 11:23 AM
Called ST.Charles and talked to Merlin, prices are....

OEM List Price...$444.23 ea.

After Isuzu Discount....$377.60 ea. :)

He did knock $60+ off apiece. But still $1500.+ for a set...WOW ;oob;

90% of my driving is on road, and the Rancho's set around 6-8 make it good and tight on any speedy lane changes or OffRamps. I'm sure the oem's are much more noticable for the OffRoaders.