PDA

View Full Version : Swordy's down for awhile

BumbleV-X
04/20/2005, 11:45 AM
My husband was in a MAJOR accident yesterday, in a smaller car (87 Nissan Maxima). Since I went to the accident site, I can easily say I'm shocked he survived. All battered and bruised, with glass inbedded all over... Moab is now taking back seat! He's going to live and that's the miracle.

For those that know Andy/Swordy.. keep him in your prayers for me. Because of the extent of his injuries and loss of concessness(sp), he was rushed to a great Trauma 1 hospital (Arrowhead) in So Cal. He's beat up and cut all over, minor concussion, staples in his scalp, hairline fracture to his neck, bruised lung, black eyes, glass in his eyes, unable to hear on the right side, and still spitting glass. He's recovering at home (his choice) after they released him at 2am. Today.... PAIN! He doesn't remember the accident at all. His father was in the car behind him and saw the whole thing. Andy took his father to go pick up his second car and they were driving back. A ford Explorer T-boned the passenger side of the Maxima after running a red light at a high speed(witnesses reported this). There's NOTHING left of the Maxima. There was no one at the site that thought anyone could live through it. The local police officer came by this morning to ask if he made it. He was shocked when I said he was home. My father in law took picture that I will try to figure out how to upload tonight.

My requests are for prayers for Andy.... he's a misarable patient! Keeping him down to rest is killing him. There's just too much in life to do to stay still for a day.

Thanks,
Deby

Any replies to this thread I promise to read to him. He needs happy thoughts right now.

Cyrk
04/20/2005, 11:49 AM
So sorry to hear... my prayers are with you guys.

Leah
04/20/2005, 12:16 PM
Hi Andy,

I'm sorry about your accident. I almost hate calling it that since the dope who hit you could have stopped so I feel like it wasn't an accident at all. I'm so glad you're alive! I know you don't know me very well - especially since it's been so long since I've posted anything, but I know your threads on here, all the help you've given me with advice and encouragement with my truck, and your sense of humor.

I'm very happy and relieved for your wife who had to be terrified when she thought she'd lost you. (Please keep us up to date on his recovery progress and thank you for letting us know what happened.)

If there is anything I can do for you, call or email: 850-585-4053 mlcorsaro@earthlink.net

Take whatever pain killers the doctor gave you because a painless recovery is a faster recovery. I mention this because when my husband had surgery he thought he was better off living with the pain until the doctor told him otherwise.

And now for a bedtime story. This is a favorite of mine as it's one my mother told me. Ready? Get comfortable. And here we go:

Once upon a time, there was an old, old man....

Sheesh I hated that bastard!

LOL When my mom told me that, I laughed so hard I wet the bed. Of course, that was only a couple of years ago, so that's really saying something.

Hang in there. My thoughts are with you and I'll remember you in my prayers.

Sincerely,
Leah Corsaro

ron
04/20/2005, 12:39 PM
hey Deby...

Very sorry to hear about Andy's unfortunate accident. It pains me to hear such horrific accidents happening with one of our own. I'm glad to hear that Andy has survived the ordeal to say the least and on the way to recovery. The fact that he's tenacious enough to want to recover at home says alot as it is.

Please tell him to hang in there as this painful process is ONLY temporary and hopefully we'll see him climbing the rocks again with the VX in no time. Our prayers are with you both during this time.

PS. I hope they hang the red light runner guy up high! Just not cool :mad:

VX crazy
04/20/2005, 01:01 PM
So sorry to hear that, my prayers are with you all! There is nothing like family! Moab will always be there, take care of each other because life will not always be there!

Anita
04/20/2005, 01:13 PM
What a horrible thing to happen!! Sounds like Andy got himself one guardian angel made of steel. My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to Andy and strength to Deby.

Green Dragon
04/20/2005, 01:29 PM
My very Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I just got back from Camaritto & the traffic atthe interscetion of Hiway 5 & 405 was Horrendous, this at 5:30 AM.

newthings
04/20/2005, 01:30 PM
Andy and Deby,
So sorry to learn of the accident.
Andy has helped me a number of times with hands on work and advice.
He is the very best of a friend to a near stranger.
If there is any kind of support I can give, financial or otherwise, please call.
Best wishes for a full recovery.
Roy

VCrossfan
04/20/2005, 01:39 PM
Take care...My families prayers are with you ! ! !

biju
04/20/2005, 01:46 PM
Andy,

As with Leah, don't know you that well - but I know your posts and the help I've gained from them... Regardless, I hope you heal quickly. Sending the best Karma you way!....

p.s. - rest up!

-biju.

Heraclid
04/20/2005, 02:51 PM
Yikes! I wonder what difference it would have made if he were in the VX when it happened, although I'd have hated to see that happen to the VX. I am very glad to hear he's still with us! You both will be in our thoughts and prayers.

I understand how it is to try to take care of someone who just can't stand to sit still. :-) My Dad was in a bad way some time ago and we had to make him take it easy, and it's torture for someone who is just always doing something. I don't know if Andy is going to need it or not, but the good thing is that folks like him and my Dad are the kind of people who do really well if they have to undergo physical therapy because they are relentless where other people would just give up and never get back to how they were before. My Dad would have been in a wheelchair for the rest of his life but he'd try to walk around when no one said he should, and it hurt a lot and he'd fall down, but that's how he got his legs back. Stubborness can be good too. :-)

Anyway, best wishes and I hope he has a speedy recovery!

Hotsauce
04/20/2005, 03:37 PM
So sorry to hear about this. Send my wishes for speedy full recovery.

John C.

kpaske
04/20/2005, 03:48 PM
So sorry to hear about Swordy's accident. My heart goes out to both of you, and I hope he gets better soon.

Kahuna
04/20/2005, 04:02 PM
Hey BumbleV-X

This is Kahuna down in San Diego. My heart goes out to you. I once saw Sheri (wife) in a car accident and I think you have the worst of it. Luckly Andy doesn't remember but you have go through the roller coaster ride on emotions. From the sound of your post you seem to be doing Okay. Give Andy our best and GodSpeed on the recovery!!!

Kahuna (Bobbi) :angel: :angel:

dkmiller68
04/20/2005, 04:24 PM
You're in my prayers too. Don't know Swordy but have seen photos and appreciate many of the same things he does. Slow and steady and listen to the docs. Pain medicaion is a wonderful thing.

SPAZZ
04/20/2005, 04:42 PM
THANK GOD, IT WASN'T IN THE PROTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

I'll call again later to check up on you, but as you know I have way more than I can deal with on my end.

Jolly Roger VX'er
04/20/2005, 04:43 PM
I hope Swordy makes a quick and complete recovery; and hopefully, this site will ease his downtime when he's feeling well enough to play on the 'puter!

xdfarrx
04/20/2005, 05:26 PM
God speed and quick recovery to you Andy...

tomdietrying
04/20/2005, 05:57 PM
Swordy,
My best positive and happy thoughts are being sent your way. Get well buddy.
Peace.
Tom

Triathlete
04/20/2005, 06:00 PM
Wow, so sorry to hear this. Here is to a speedy and full recovery! Was looking forward to meeting the both of you in Moab. Fortunately there will be many more Moabs.

he's a misarable patient! Keeping him down to rest is killing him. There's just too much in life to do to stay still for a day.
With this kind of attitude Andy will surely recover in fine fashion! The mind is an amazing thing and is just as important for recovery as the Doc's and medicines!

Joe_Black
04/20/2005, 07:09 PM
Y'all will definitely be in our thoughts for a speedy recovery without complications. I lost an aunt and cousin years ago to exactly the same kind of accident. He's truly fortunate and we'll look forward to seeing his celebrations of life again soon! :)

WormGod
04/20/2005, 07:11 PM
Yep, accidents are no fun and the downtime involved with them is equally as painful. I hope you can cope with having the big lug at home watching Oprah and eating sandwich after sandwich. Tell him not to get used to it. ;)

Here's to a speedy recovery.

Moncha
04/20/2005, 07:21 PM
Deb and Andy! I'm so sorry to hear the news! You take the time and take care of yourselves as the problems that arise from a thing like this can be devastating.. Andy, you are strong and will get better and I'm sure soon, but take the time and make sure it's right!
We will miss you all in Moab but, hey, there's next year and god willing, we'll be there!

Take care my friend, you are in our prayers.

johnnyapollo
04/20/2005, 07:26 PM
I have you both in my thoughts as well.

-- John

nocturnalVX
04/20/2005, 09:53 PM
My thoughts are with you and, like the other VXers, hope for a complete and speedy recovery to Andy.

Todd Adams
04/20/2005, 11:51 PM
Sorry to hear about Andy's crash but if I know him you'll be in Moab next month. Get well soon Andy.
Todd & Linda

yal^
04/21/2005, 07:21 AM
My thoughts are with you, Deby and Andy.
We don't know each other, but we are still one big family.
I thank God for saving Swordy and keeping him with us.

Andy, your work and love for your VX is an inspiration for many of us. I too have a little proton I take care of. I hope those two can meet someday, as much as I hope to meet you and your wife too :p
Stay low for a while. Give yourself time to recover. Hopefully by the time you are ready to wrench again, you'll have another project to amaze us with.

My thoughts are with you. Speedy recovery, Swordy.
Kasia

rickshaw
04/21/2005, 11:16 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident, I hope Andy has a speedy recovery.

Gene

BBVX
04/22/2005, 08:44 PM
Get better soon, Andy.

Brian

BumbleV-X
04/22/2005, 10:09 PM
I put a few pictures in my gallery. One was duplicated and I can't figure out how to delete it.... but I figured out how to put it on there.http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/max4.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5971)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/max51.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5970)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/max2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5969)

nocturnalVX
04/22/2005, 10:17 PM
;eekb;
I'm glad the hit was on the passenger side when nobody was riding shotgun... thank the Powers that be. :angel: Not cool it happened at all, but at least it was not worse. Get well Swordy!

GOVEHIX
04/22/2005, 11:11 PM
Best wishes!!
may god be with swordy. amen

Kahuna
04/22/2005, 11:26 PM
All I can say is "OH MY GOD"!!!!!! Just saw the pics

Ldub
04/23/2005, 04:43 AM
So sad that people with poor judgement, can have such an awful effect on the lives of others who just happen to be in the wrong place at the right time.
Those photos are most sobering, Best Wishes for a speedy recovery Swordy. Deby, stay strong & help Andy get well.

Best Always, Ldub

kpaske
04/23/2005, 07:55 AM
HOLY COW!! Andy is one lucky man to be alive.

SGT.BATGUANO
04/23/2005, 09:21 AM
Please give Andy my best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. My thoughts are with you both during this difficult period.

Reg Hinnant
04/23/2005, 11:49 AM
So very sorry to hear about the accident BUT so very glad to hear about Andy being OK.
Barb & I send out best wishes for a fast recovery and that you will not have any recurring problems after you are well. You are in our prayers!
Be strong, Deb!

Swordy
04/24/2005, 10:26 AM
WOW! Thank you all for the get well posts. That was very thoughtful. I don't think I'm quite as banged up as the pics would suggest. I don't have any broken bones, but I have a pretty nasty concussion thats been keeping me dizzy and sleeping for a while. I don't plan on letting this change my plans for Moab this year. I'm pretty sure I'll be all better in a couple weeks. With all these generous best wishes I don't see how I could keep from getting well soon. Deby read me your posts this morning (she knows I haven't even been going online for the last few days) and I seriously couldn't keep this smile off my face.
Thank you so very much,
Andy

GoIsuzu
04/24/2005, 01:56 PM
Oh My God doesn't even begin to describe what's left of that Maxima.

Best wishes to Andy and you from everyone in the parts & service department at Sunset Isuzu. Hoping Andy has a full and speedy recovery!

sveltax
04/24/2005, 06:10 PM
Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Moncha
04/25/2005, 07:43 AM
Andy, great to hear you're doing ok, had me worried there.
Take care!

WormGod
04/26/2005, 07:51 AM
Mother of all things good and bad!!!!!!!! You have seen that movie where Bruce Willis is "indestructible".... right? ;)

Welcome to the "Luckiest Men in the World" club!!!!!!!!

Soulpower
04/26/2005, 08:28 AM
Swordy,
From your posts, i know you're a great guy! So, i join your online family here in celebration of your triumph over this ultimate test. At times like these, you celebrate the good; that you're gonna be OK. Our prayers and good wishes are with you and your family. Get well soon!

V-Twin hiCROSS
04/26/2005, 02:23 PM
Wow, I am amazed that anyone could survive the destruction that hit that Maxima.
Swordy, hope that your recovery is going well and that you will not be down and out for too long. Glad to hear that you are not too seriously injured. Be careful of the concussion though, there can be late signs of other problems. You will be in my families prayers.

-Neal

Tone
04/26/2005, 03:06 PM
Glad you are OK and even gonna be at Moab - see ya there and we'll celebrate!