PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done their own front end alignment?

dkmiller68
04/19/2005, 07:46 PM
Just wundering.

autox-racer
04/20/2005, 06:20 AM
I have not done one the VX but it should be easy to check front toe with a tape measure since there is a lot of ground clearance. Just need to jack up and draw a line around the center of the tire with chalk.

Or you could check it like I do on my race car. I set up 2 parallel strings equal distance from the center of the vehcile. The strings should be at hub height that are about 1 inch from edge of tire. Then use a dial caliper(or tape) to measure from the string to wheel edge both on the front edge and rear edge. The difference is the toe... Shorter distance on the front than rear then it is toed out. This is pretty accurate but a pain to set up strings. I usually get w/ in a 1/16th after I tighten the tierods.

It is even easier to pay 40 bucks to someone with a machine:)

Tone
04/20/2005, 06:58 AM
Yeah, and I do my own brain surgery, too. Well, I used to.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lifetime deal at Firestone for $100 is the way to go - you can trash an alignment parallel parking if not careful. Needs to be checked/set whenever you change tire/wheel combinations or raise/lower tbars.

V-Twin hiCROSS
04/20/2005, 09:11 AM
Tone,
Does that mean that you pay $100 at Firestone, and then you can get it re-aligned any time for free? Any limits? If so, that is a deal. Especially since I plan to keep this vehicle for a long time.