PDA

View Full Version : I Love My Vx But Hate The Mileage!

Hanalei
04/15/2005, 09:09 AM
I'm getting about 11 mpg on my VX (mostly local driving). Any ideas on how I can improve it? I'm putting a fortune in the tank due to these high gas prices!

Also, when you leave the VX and you don't remote lock it, after about 15 seconds I hear a long beep and then the VX disengages the starter (so you can't start it without remotely locking then unlocking it. Anyone experience this?

mbeach
04/15/2005, 10:15 AM
1. Mileage. Get used to it. Serviced well, and maintained with quality fluids will get your mileage up around 12mpg (if driven normally) in the city. I've clocked over 18mpg with majority highway, and right now I'm sitting at 16.5 mixed driving.
I keep Power Mode on, and I don't launch away from stoplights. Also, I drive in 3 (as opposed to D) around town.

2. Sounds like your programmed for passive arming. Download the alarm reprogramming info sheet from Tone's website and review.

Tone
04/15/2005, 11:01 AM
Bummer - sounds like you bought the wrong vehicle. Ferrari and Lambo owners have the same issue but most people buy the vehicle for what it is, not the mileage it gets. I hear the tiny hybrids will get you the mileage you want.

Long beep usually indicates a door is not shut completely when the arm command has been sent.

t2p
04/15/2005, 12:22 PM
Move the seat back a notch. I know ...... ridiculous. It may help.
I'm a 'light foot' - and because of this, my mpg figures are probably higher than most on this board .
I did a significant amount of highway driving last week ........ and recorded (approx) 18 mpg.

SilverBullet75
04/15/2005, 12:56 PM
Your alarm IS set for passive arming. I have mine set the same. The alarm manual will show you how to change it back to normal (download from Tone). Only thing i don't like about passive is that it won't lock the doors. So when it auto arms, I have to disarm, unlock the passenger door(even if unlocked already), then re-arm (all using the remote).

Ldub
04/15/2005, 03:49 PM
I found that after I installed a Borla performance muffler, that my mileage was somewhat increased. Probably not so much from being less restrictive, but because it was so LOUD! I found myself accelerating MUCH more slowly just to keep the noise level down.
Since then, I've installed a Supertrapp sliencer tip & it seems much better, though I haven't been able to take it out on the road since it's in the shop having a new r. output shaft installed & won't be done till nxt. wk.
Seems to be the price we pay to be VXR'S.
Ldub

Kahuna
04/15/2005, 08:44 PM
You get MILEAGE!!! WOW! I'm impressed. I count my miles by tire rotations.

Dallas4u
04/16/2005, 08:49 AM
Funny... when I bought my VX, back when reg. unleaded was around $1 - $1.10/gal, I didn't expect gas prices to rise to $2.40/gal for regular... oh, and I KNEW the gas mileage wasn't the greatest. Thing is, these prices suck no matter how you look at it.

I filled the Rodeo up the other day... $45. I remember back when it was only $20 - $25. Oh well... the motorcycle calls! :p

I_Wanna_Retire
04/16/2005, 12:48 PM
Yup, no doubt about it, gas milege sucks. I've thought of selling one, or more, of mine due to current gas prices, but my boys won't let me, because the VX's are so cool. The way I look at it, all three of mine are paid for, so the gas prices will have to get quite a bit higher before I get excited. On the other hand, insurance for two 'young inexperienced drivers' is killing me...

GOVEHIX
04/17/2005, 11:38 AM
you need to get used to it bro~ as someone in the forum said before, the vx isn't for everyone~
i had been thinking about was that the weight of the vx makes the mileage so bad?
what makes our vx so heavy? 3996 pounds~ those crv or rav4 got only a bit over 2000 pounds!

Kahuna
04/17/2005, 11:53 AM
Not sure why it's so heavy, but ask anybody who has been in an accident in one (and there are a few in here). They say if it wasn't for the VX they would have died or been in bad shape. It's that weight that makes our VX fair better than the other in an accident.

Ldub
04/17/2005, 01:11 PM
Full "ladder type" frame that everything is bolted to is the main reason this little bugger is more heavy than it's puny unibody cuzzins.(rav 4 etc.)
But that's OK w/ me...More heavy=More strong.
Ldub

mbeach
04/17/2005, 05:55 PM
I just ran up to Detroit and back (to pick up tires from MrTews -Thanks John!).

I recorded 325 miles -I used 15.9 gallons of gas.
This was done at 70-75 on the highway, with 255/55 tires.

Not too shabby after all.

WormGod
04/18/2005, 07:46 AM
Yep, I agree. I have found my VX has dropped down in the MPG range, to about 11, but, I still find it the vehicle I want.

I have been looking at other vehicles, perhaps an everyday driver. Had my eye on the little Scion hatchback. Cheap, sleak, and very upgradable. Pretty good gas mileage as well. Would be nice to be able to save the VX as my weekend vehicle. 40 years from now she would be one hell of a beauty on the street and I want to make that possible.