View Full Version : TOD Sensor light

Nellie429
04/15/2005, 05:26 AM
Hello. Our Vehicross TOD check light was flashing so we took it into the dealer who said that the sensor light was broken and would cost $600 to fix. If we don't fix it, it will cause other things to blow. Has this happened to anyone else?

Green Dragon
04/15/2005, 06:36 AM
Just not that much information from you to offer assistance. I would check Throttle position sensor first, front & rear driveshaft sensors at xfer case,then connections at transfer case,connection at ECU. Most everything after that gets really difficult & expensive.

Tone
04/15/2005, 06:53 AM
Sensor light blown and will cause more to fail? Ah dealers, where DO they come up with these things. But the important thing is whether the TOD is really working or not. If not, the VX will become VERY easy to spin in damp or wet weather.

If you can find a wet parking lot where you can nail it from a complete stop, if the back wheels spin out, TOD is not working. You can also powerbrake the VX with the rear tires wet to see if the back wheels spin.

If it is not working, repair can be expensive IF you have to go to a dealer. How long have you owned the VX? Previous owner could have installed a cutoff switch that has been turned on. I have hear of few if any cases of TOD light just starting to flash. Good luck.

mbeach
04/15/2005, 10:11 AM
My TOD light flashed a few times after an extended period in 12" deep water. Apparently some of the sensors/connectors had gotten soaked. When the flashing occurs, the TOD operation is erratic and very obvious.
It dried out after a few miles and all is well now.

It sounds like Green Dragon is on the right track, it's most likly a bum sensor or connector. Even with erratic operation (like kicking itself into 4hi on dry pavement), the cause can usually be attributed to a simple sensor malfunction. Definately not a $600 fix.
Your dealer's trying to bend you over.

Y33TREKker
07/23/2005, 09:37 AM
My TOD light flashed a few times after an extended period in 12" deep water. Apparently some of the sensors/connectors had gotten soaked. When the flashing occurs, the TOD operation is erratic and very obvious. It dried out after a few miles and all is well now.

I had this same problem occur last weekend driving on the highway at about 60 mph during a heavy rain. The TOD display showed the front wheel indicators fully lit with the TOD "Check" light flashing on and off. The VX still felt like it was driving normally though, so I'm not sure whether the TOD system was actually in 4-Hi. There was some standing water in various places on the road so I wondered if the front tires were hydroplaning momentarily at times and throwing off the front wheel sensors. (Even though my tires are fairly new Goodyear Eagle GT-ll's, there was enough water that they could have been skipping at times.)

The check light kept flashing on and off until I slowed down upon entering the city limits of the next town. As I was starting and stopping in traffic waiting to go through a stop sign, the check light stopped flashing and everything started operating normally. I went through another heavy shower about 20 minutes later but nothing similar happened.

At the time, I remembered reading here about certain sensors/connectors that could get wet and cause intermittant problems. Which sensors/connectors in particular might have caused this problem? I'd like to check the connectors and reseal them to prevent the problem from reoccuring.