PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a black '99 Vx

Fred85
04/11/2005, 01:14 PM
I've been in the market for a small suv lately, mostly looking at jeep cherokees. But, i actually saw a Vx at a used car lot on the road and decided to stop by and take look and drive it around. I was impressed to say the least! Exterior and interior were in great condition.

Although, it had 93,000 miles on it which didn't please me too much. The passenger side window regulator is pretty much gone(they said they'd replace that though), and it didn't wanna stay in 4lo when i engaged it. It also didn't have keyless entry(which is important to me) and i cant remember if it had cruise or not, which is also important. They were also asking a little under $12k, which seemed awfully high.

I'd like any comments or suggestions or things to look out for/be aware of, i'm interested in the Vx if it'll be worth the money. How's the longevity of the engine and tranny?? It seems like i'd be rebuilding that tranny soon with that many miles........

Anita
04/11/2005, 01:16 PM
12K and 93K miles??? Sounds like you should run away from that...quickly. Take your time and look around. That one definitely screams buyer beware!

Fred85
04/11/2005, 01:24 PM
lol, i thought so ;)

i wish there was an easier way to find one, i'd love to have a 00 or 01

Anita
04/11/2005, 01:29 PM
You may have to look in other states, or perhaps just posting here that you are looking for one may prompt some responses from those selling. If you can find a 00 or 01 that has low miles can buy you some Isuzu covered warranty work if needed. Make use of the membership here if you find a VX in another state. Lots of us are very happy to go check it out for you.

Moncha
04/11/2005, 01:36 PM
Yep,, Post a request in the WANTED (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=51) section and you never know.

12k is high for that many miles, fob's for the remote entry can be gotten if it hasn't been changed out and the window regulator is an inherent problem most of us have but, can be fixed, although, there is a current campian to try an force a recall.. Maybe you can work some of the repairs that you want done into the deal. But, still not at that price.

All VX's have cruise control as standard.

Keep looking, as they are out there albeit, hard to find.

Fred85
04/11/2005, 02:05 PM
i've looked on ebay a little, found a nice one in VA but i'd be warry of buying a car i've never seen..........and i dont have time to drive up there

how much does it cost to ship a car :bgwg: across a few states?(i also found one in ohio)

Falconpilot
04/11/2005, 02:24 PM
I just bought an Ebony 99 with about 41k for $12800 with everything working PERFECTLY, and a FULL (although 30 day) warranty. I looked up your area, and the retail blue book value for that mileage is about $10,700 in FULLY RECONDITIONED shape. I live in California and found Mine in Iowa, so I will be making a road trip in the near future, but for me it's worth the trouble. You might consider doing something similar if it's worth it to you. You came to the right place though,as you know the guys at this forum are VERY helpful.

Good Luck!!!

Fred85
04/11/2005, 02:29 PM
yeah i just looked up the value as well, got the same thing

If all my other options fail me, what about offering $10k for it?? that seems about right to me, its been sitting on their lot for a few weeks with no serious lookers

Anita
04/11/2005, 02:32 PM
yeah i just looked up the value as well, got the same thing

If all my other options fail me, what about offering $10k for it?? that seems about right to me, its been sitting on their lot for a few weeks with no serious lookers
I would definitetly find out first what the problem is with the 4Lo. It would be a bad thing if you had to shell out serious $$ to fix it.

Falconpilot
04/11/2005, 02:43 PM
You also might ask if they can set you up with a Universal underwriters or Ford Warranty if it gives you peace of mind. That's an option when buying from a dealer instead of a private party, as long as you get a good price.

psychos2
04/11/2005, 02:45 PM
try searching here: http://autos.yahoo.com/
shows private sellers and dealers. there are 65 listed forsale.don't know if any are in your area? i did the search with any miles from my zip code. shawn

Maugan_VX
04/11/2005, 06:29 PM
Hell I'm in raleigh, you can come test drive mine if you want.

I aint gonna sell it though :P

Whats up with all these people in Raleigh getting VX's?

Triathlete
04/11/2005, 06:53 PM
Be sure you are attempting to engage the 4Lo properly. In order to engage it the tranny MUST be in NEUTRAL. If that was the case when you tested it then definately have them fix it or shop elsewere. The VX's transfer case is not cheap!

Fred85
04/11/2005, 07:46 PM
^^i appreciate the offer to test drive, but one time was enough to make me a believer

^i did have it in neutral before shifting into 4lo, i'm not that big of a dummy :)

cascabel3
04/12/2005, 12:12 PM
$12,000 with over 90k and low 4WD drive doesn't stay in? If you have a $12,000 budget you could have a good one tomorrow just through this group. And since you are in NC, just buy a one way ticket and fly there and enjoy the ride back even if it was California. Just be sure the vehicle has passed your inspection. Through this group I would trust pretty much most in what they claim selling their VX. I did mine through ebay and flew to Arizona. The vehicle was in better than I thought condition. Good luck.

Maugan_VX
04/12/2005, 02:23 PM
well the offer stands... it sounds like you didnt get an effective test drive out of it though.

Let me knoiw if you want to see mine.

Offroad vx
04/12/2005, 07:19 PM
There is a 99 ebony here in Omaha with only 37,000 miles for 15,???. It's in excellent shape. I think you could definately find a better deal than the one you checked out. It's well worth it getting a nicer one, take your time and spend a few more dollars and I'm sure if you find one somewhere where there is a site member they would probably be willing to check it out and let you know if it's worth making a trip yourself!

Fred85
04/12/2005, 07:30 PM
i really appreciate all the replies, i'm really just concerned with the longevity of the powertrains. I've been looking at 2001 jeep cherokees, and they have pretty bulletproof motors and trannys and that's a big selling point for me.

I also hate that isuzu customer service and dealer service seem to suck badly from the things i've read on this forum. But this isn't a huge concern, as i'm pretty mechanically inclined

But i didn't think about flying out and buying the car and driving it back, i might consider that if i find one i like :cool:

t2p
04/13/2005, 10:19 AM
Fred:
Many Isuzu's have been known to go for miles and miles.
If you were/are a Honda or Toyota owner *** (for example), then the reliability worries might be understandable. However - the Vehicross is probably in the same 'relative neighbohood' as a Jeep Cherokee (a decent vehicle btw) as far as reliabily is concerned.
I believe the VX transfercase is designed and manufactured by Borg Warner - and is very similar to the transfer cases in many other similar vehicles .... Ford Explorer ...... Kia Sorrento ....
Customer and dealer service can be a nightmare and/or almost non-existent - for some that is a risk they are willing to assume to own a unique, limited production vehicle.
***note that you don't see too many vehicles similar to a VX from Honda or Toyota.

Maugan_VX
04/13/2005, 02:30 PM
Not to be abrasive (god knows I worry about that) but the transmissions on jeeps are sketchy at best.

My 1993 Trooper with the 4L30E had a bulletproof tranny. Needed a rebuild at 210k after one service at 120k. Ancedotal, but relevant.

University Isuzu in Durham has worked with my on my IMG. Had no problems out of them on that.

Fred85
04/13/2005, 08:09 PM
Not to be abrasive (god knows I worry about that) but the transmissions on jeeps are sketchy at best.

My 1993 Trooper with the 4L30E had a bulletproof tranny. Needed a rebuild at 210k after one service at 120k. Ancedotal, but relevant.

University Isuzu in Durham has worked with my on my IMG. Had no problems out of them on that.
you're probably right with respect to some jeep trannys, but i'm referring specifically to the AW4 tranny in chereokees manufactured by Aisin. It has proven itself a bulletproof tranny since its introduction in the cherokees over a decade ago.

^^i didn't know the TC was a Borg Warner, very nice :cool:

t2p
04/14/2005, 02:25 PM
Also ....
I believe the 4L30E is a GM unit - made in France ? ...... did someone say this unit is made in France ? ........
Tone supplied a chart that showed other applications for the 4L30E .... I believe a BMW 3 Series was on the chart ......... I think that is a good thing ...... hmmmm .......

Maugan_VX
04/14/2005, 04:04 PM
yeah it was used in the chevelle too :P

and not the fast version heh.