PDA

View Full Version : Summer Skins On!

Ldub
04/10/2005, 08:01 PM
Finally got the tires & wheels on, had to order deeper ctr. caps, but here's what it looks like so far.
Found out during installation that I had a slightly loose front wheel bearing, without this site & all the member contributions of how-to's & general VX knowledge I would have had a he11 of a time figuring out 4wd front hubs, which I've never had apart before. It's a huge asset to be part of such a great community!
Thanks all, Ldub
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VX_2_R_E.jpg

morgan-tec
04/10/2005, 08:09 PM
Looks good man, are those Centerline wheels?

Ldub
04/10/2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks MT, yes, Centerline Tomahawk "Rapid" w/ Hankook Ventus ST (265/50x20)

morgan-tec
04/10/2005, 08:26 PM
How do you like the Hankooks? I am deciding between those and the new Nitto 420s. Any feedback yet? I like the simple design of the wheels and they look good tucked a little, what offset did you end up getting?

Cyrk
04/11/2005, 06:44 AM
LOVE IT! looks GREAT!

Ldub
04/11/2005, 06:54 AM
Not sure of the exact offset as no specs on C-line site, but the tread is dead even w/ the top of the fenderwell. The sidewall sticks out a little (maybe an inch) Too early to tell on the tires, but they seem to grip well. I was expecting a much harsher ride w/ lower sidewall section, but it doesn't seem much worse than the 265/70x16's.Also the Hankooks were way less expensive than any other brand I could find.

Ldub
04/11/2005, 07:11 AM
Thanks Cyrk,
That means a lot since you are partially to "blame". I was going to leave the "Silver Bullet" mostly stock until I saw pics of that sweet red s/c of yours.That & about a zillion other mods I've seen around here put the hook in me bad! Now the mods are kind of "snowballing" down a seemingly VERY steep slope. Is there a 12 step program for this addiction??? :p I hope not!
Ldub

Cyrk
04/11/2005, 07:14 AM
My friend there is not...

Y33TREKker
04/11/2005, 03:30 PM
For the 265/50's, did you go with the 8" or 8.5" Rapids? The back spacing is the same for both widths (5"), but I'm curious which width aligned better with the fender.

Looks sharp! :thumbup:

Kenny
04/11/2005, 04:36 PM
Yes, awsome!

Ldub
04/11/2005, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys,
I went with the 8 inch. If you're looking at these on the Centerline site, look under "wheel deals" I thought the price wasn't too bad for 20".($149+20 shipping ea.)
Just took her in today to have the output shaft (rear) replaced...hopefully the last of the vibration. I'm not liking having it in the shop till Fri. :frowno:
Ldub

GOVEHIX
04/12/2005, 12:15 AM
what are the vx's bolt patterns? mine is 99 vx with 16'' wheels.

MZ-N10
04/12/2005, 12:58 AM
Finally got the tires & wheels on, had to order deeper ctr. caps, but here's what it looks like so far.
Found out during installation that I had a slightly loose front wheel bearing, without this site & all the member contributions of how-to's & general VX knowledge I would have had a he11 of a time figuring out 4wd front hubs, which I've never had apart before. It's a huge asset to be part of such a great community!
Thanks all, Ldub
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VX_2_R_E.jpg

damn...alittle off the topic but the grill is SEXY. where did u get the grill?
________
Medical Marijuana Seeds (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

Ldub
04/12/2005, 06:07 AM
GOVEHIX, 6 x 5.5", get a wheel w/ the large centerbore. On the Centerline site, I used Toyota truck/suv as the model since they don't list Isuzu.

MZ-N10, OT?, I don't mind. The grill is a prototype I made out of plain old expanded metal painted silver & held in place w/ stainless threaded rod which was fastened to the stock grill w/ nuts & fender washers. I also dressed out the edge w/ black door edge moulding to prevent scratching.
It's a case of form following function, as I was mainly trying to protect the driving lights from rocks.(I've already replaced 2 of the rectangular ones due to rock damage) :mad:
I'm looking for a source for the chromed wire mesh like they use in some of the Kenworth truck grilles to fab the final product out of.
Ldub

Ldub
04/12/2005, 03:46 PM
I can't believe it...on my way home from work I happened to notice a Kenworth shop, sooo, being the enterprising fellow that I am, I proceeded to go dumpster diving.
Guess what I found?...yep, the exact grill material I was looking for. One section unblemished & the other somewhat bent, but still useable for the smaller openings.
I'll post kodaks when done. :bgwo: